Mc Coy Tyner - African Village

tpj1965

Alfred McCoy Tyner (born December 11, 1938) is a jazz pianist from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, best known for his work with the John Coltrane Quartet.

Tyner was born in Philadelphia as the oldest of three children. He was encouraged to study piano by his mother. He finally began studying the piano at age 13 and within two years, music had become the focal point in his life.

His first main exposure came with Benny Golson being the first pianist in Golson's and Art Farmer's legendary Jazztet (1959). After departing the Jazztet, Tyner joined Coltrane's group in 1960. (Coltrane had known Tyner for a while, and featured one of the pianist's compositions, "The Believer", as early as 1958.) He appeared on the saxophonist's popular recording of "My Favorite Things" for Atlantic Records

Tyner has recorded a number of highly influential albums in his own right. While in Coltrane's group, he recorded a series of relatively conservative albums (primarily in the piano trio format) for Impulse. After leaving Coltrane's group, he began a series of post-bop albums released on the Blue Note label, in the 1967–1970 time frame. Soon thereafter he moved to the Milestone label and recorded many influential albums, including Sahara (1972), Enlightenment (1973), and Fly With The Wind (1976), which featured flautist Hubert Laws and drummer Billy Cobham.From Wikipedia

For those who may not have seen this video before, be prepaired to see one of the hottest upright perfomances I have ever seen. :o Don't know the bassists' name but I will be trying to find out, If anyone knows please let me know. Enjoy

Herbie Lewis played bass, and Freddie Watts was on th drums for the Afrcian Village cd-- my guess is that he used them live as well with Milt Jackson on vibes