Shannon - Give me tonight - Let the Music Play

tpj1965

Shannon (born May 12, 1958 as Brenda Shannon Greene in Washington D.C.), is well known for her 1983 smash dance/freestyle record, "Let The Music Play". The record redefined the electro funk sound that Arthur Baker and John Rocca (who produced "I.O.U" by Freeez and "One More Shot/Get Wet" by C-Bank) developed in 1982.In October 1983, the single was released without her knowledge. Shannon was invited back to lay out more songs for Liggett and Barbosa. Barbosa, a Puerto Rican from New York was considered the founder of Freestyle music. "Let The Music Play" is well known as the first freestyle track, with a heavy syncopated drum sound with Latin American rhythms that wasn't so electro as the sound the year prior. The single's success led to the number eight position on the Billboard Hot 100 and took over the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart. Today the song is well-regarded as both a pop classic and one of the most influential dance records of all time. Her follow up single in 1984 was "Give Me Tonight," a record that charted poorly by comparison on the Billboard Hot 100, but received the same wild enthusiasm in the clubs as its predecessor and also hit the top spot on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart. It also gained Urban radio airplay. That same year she released her debut album Let The Music Play. It was considered the first Freestyle album in history, and featured another club hit with "My Heart's Divided." Wikipedia®

A-11737-1131678673.jpeg

Give me tonight Video

A-11737-1171038879.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...