'300' trailer

method77

I could go on about those Spartans for way too long, so I won't. Lets just say their take on education had more in common with Paris Island if it were run by Roman Catholic priests from Boston than the Athenian (and modern) focus on grammar, math and science...

Suffice to say that this movie so far looks like a faithful reproduction of Herodotus' description of Thermopolae, with the usual Hollywood belles and whistles thrown in because Americans can't possibly be expected to sit through a two hour movie without lots of gratuitous sex thrown in.

From what I saw, the director followed exactly Frank Miller's version which is cool.

If you want to know exactly what the Spartans are all about, I suggest you read this. My favorite all time book

I've met the author, Stephen Pressfield - he's worked in Hollywood

From what I saw, the director followed exactly Frank Miller's version which is cool.

If you want to know exactly what the Spartans are all about, I suggest you read this. My favorite all time book

Is it a fast read? I'll check it out then if I can squeeze it in between the 4 other books I'm juggling right now :lol:

i read Frank Miller's '300' series when it came out; it's stilll around here somewhere and both Chris and i loved it. prolly won't see the film though, cos i always get pissed off when they veer from the originals.

I will probably go to this:

Made on a Mac

The Making of Warner Bros. Pictures' 300

March 8 at 7 p.m.

Get a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Warner Bros. Pictures' 300. Director/cowriter Zack Snyder, visual-effects supervisor Chris Watts, and director of photography Larry Fong discuss how the Mac helped bring Frank Miller's acclaimed graphic novel to life.

not i, said the little tiger-striped kitty. B)

IRANIANS outraged over hit movie ‘300’.....

Blockbuster depicting Persian siege called an ‘obvious insult’.....

The hit American movie “300” has angered Iranians who say the Greeks-vs-Persians action flick insults their ancient culture and provokes animosity against Iran.

“Hollywood declares war on Iranians,” blared a headline in Tuesday’s edition of the independent Ayende-No newspaper.

The movie, which raked in $70 million in its opening weekend, is based on a comic-book fantasy version of the battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C., in which a force of 300 Spartans held off a massive Persian army at a mountain pass in Greece for three days.

Even some American reviewers noted the political overtones of the West-against-Iran story line — and the way Persians are depicted as decadent, sexually flamboyant and evil in contrast to the noble Greeks.

In Iran, the movie hasn’t opened and probably never will, given the government’s restrictions on Western films, though one paper said bootleg DVDs were already available.

Still, it touched a sensitive nerve. Javad Shamghadri, cultural adviser to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, said the United States tries to “humiliate” Iran in order to reverse historical reality and “compensate for its wrongdoings in order to provoke American soldiers and warmongers” against Iran.

The movie comes at a time of increased tensions between the United States and Iran over the Persian nation’s nuclear program and the Iraq war.

But aside from politics, the film was seen as an attack on Persian history, a source of pride for Iranians across the political spectrum, including critics of the current Islamic regime.

State-run television has run several commentaries the past two days calling the film insulting and has brought on Iranian film directors to point out its historical inaccuracies.

“The film depicts Iranians as demons, without culture, feeling or humanity, who think of nothing except attacking other nations and killing people,” Ayende-No said in its article Tuesday.

“It is a new effort to slander the Iranian people and civilization before world public opinion at a time of increasing American threats against Iran,” it said.

Iran’s biggest circulation newspaper, Hamshahri, said “300” is “serving the policy of the U.S. leadership” and predicted it will “prompt a wave of protest in the world. ... Iranians living in the U.S. and Europe will not be indifferent about this obvious insult.”

source:AP

image:msnbcmedia4.msn.com:"300"..."an obvious insult"....

post-193-1173841962_thumb.jpg

They are being foolish. The typical westerner doesn't even know that Iranians = Persians. Unless this "outrage" gets enough media to point that out to them.

I think they are mistaken about the waves of protest that can be expected.

"300" Makes U.S. Cinema History.....

Warner Bros epic blockbuster movie "300" has wowed cinema-goers in the United States with the movie grossing a staggering US $70 million dollars (NZ $95 million) on its opening weekend making it the highest March box office opening in US cinema history.

"300" is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Co-written and directed by Zack Snyder (Dawn of the Dead), the film combines live action with virtual backgrounds creating a cutting edge visual style that has had audiences and critics in awe.

Inspired by the work of graphic novelist Frank Miller, industry commentators consider "300" a huge victory for Warner Bros. and its four production partners. "Sin City", another Frank Miller inspired work with Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino, had an impressive US$29 million opening, however "300"`s debut is considered historic. The film`s box office result is all the more remarkable due to its R-rated certificate making it the third biggest opening weekend ever in this category, only behind the Passion of the Christ (US $83 million) and The Matrix Reloaded (US$91 million).

Lisa Hubbard, General Manager of Roadshow Film Distributors, is confident "300" will achieve similar results in New Zealand when it opens locally on April 5. "We knew we had a movie that was truly ground breaking and extraordinary, and the incredible US results show just how ready audiences are to embrace innovative and exciting new films. As the local distributor of such successful franchises as "The Matrix" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, it is absolutely fantastic to have another unique property that is sure to excite the New Zealand public."

An epic adventure about passion, courage, freedom and sacrifice embodied by the Spartan warriors who fought one of the greatest battles in history, "300" stars Gerard Butler (Phantom of the Opera) Lena Headey (The Brothers Grimm), Australian actor David Wenham (The Lord of the Rings) and Dominic West (The Forgotten).

"300" opens nationwide at New Zealand cinemas on April 5, 2007..

source:scoop.co.nz

post-193-1173915059_thumb.jpg

post-193-1173915255_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...