Brahms voice & playing

dsoslglece

Hello, all of you... I guess I've got a nice surprise for you, since I believe it is rare and unknown... In fact untill I discovered it few years ago, I didn't know that such experiments were made as early as that, since Brahms died in 1897 from a liver cancer... so, it had to be recorded before that date, and, probably during his last tour in England... I have no idea where it comes from, but I do believe it is not a fake... for the voice, I never heard him, but for what the playing is concerned, I can assure you that it is not only a great musician playing, but also one from that period... and let me tell ya that it has nothin' to do with the scratches on the recording (I removed quite a lot of them with filters!)... but it has much to do with the way to play that music... in fact, two waltzes (one of them is THE Waltze from Brahms!).

After all that, I hope the post will accept the two files Brahms_talks.mp3

Brahms_valses.mp3... well it seems to have worked!

Cheers

• 11 months later...
Hello, all of you... I guess I've got a nice surprise for you, since I believe it is rare and unknown... In fact untill I discovered it few years ago, I didn't know that such experiments were made as early as that, since Brahms died in 1897 from a liver cancer... so, it had to be recorded before that date, and, probably during his last tour in England... I have no idea where it comes from, but I do believe it is not a fake... for the voice, I never heard him, but for what the playing is concerned, I can assure you that it is not only a great musician playing, but also one from that period... and let me tell ya that it has nothin' to do with the scratches on the recording (I removed quite a lot of them with filters!)... but it has much to do with the way to play that music... in fact, two waltzes (one of them is THE Waltze from Brahms!).

After all that, I hope the post will accept the two files Brahms_talks.mp3

Brahms_valses.mp3... well it seems to have worked!

Cheers

Some press talk about it, and some years ago an English newspaper "Classic CD" spread a recording of socalled "Valse minute" played by Chopin in Nohant, apparently in 1848. The recording was bring to Pierre Boulez's IRCAM center in Paris from Jean-Michel Baillat, and here they discover it's a fake.

Instead you can hear the audio of Brahms also on You Tube.

And you can also see this wonderful site: http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~brg/brahms2.html

After all the first seems to me autentic, but not the second one.

Best regards,

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben, and thank you for that fantastic thread…

I went there, and true, I have now some more doubts about the fact of that waltz being "played" by Brahms… probably though, it is played by someone not later than 1900, since the style is very much like what it was at the end of 19th century.

I've got my self quite a lot of recordings from old pianists or composers, and there is a consistency about all that (Stavenhagen, von Sauer, Saint-Saëns, Mahler, Grieg, Reger, Granados,d'Albert, Bussoni, Lamond, and others.)…

But, to come back to that site you indicated to us, and to that fantastic work explained there, on what they did with that wax roll, I'm probably an old fool of a musician, but when I came to the last recording they presented there, that hungarian dance, reconstructed in accordance with all the data obtainable from the original wax recording, even if the work is certainly not the deepest of Brahms, even if it was played artificially and giving that sort of sound quality you would have on a electronic guitar, believe it or not, but it made me cry !

Even so, one can feel the greatness of the being and his conception, just like if he was there.