Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

DudeAsInCool

All of us wish everyone a fantastic Valentine's Day. We had a lot of disagreement here at BK as to what card to post for the community, so we decided collectively to let you choose the one that best fits the occassion for you! And as a special bonus, we have brought together a collection of stars - The Troggs, Joe Cocker, Lulu, Whitney Houston, Barry White, Patty Labelle and Barry White & Chaka Khan - with a slew of love songs to honor you.

Happy Valentine's day everyone

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Valentine Card - video powered by Metacafe

post-9-1171444533_thumb.jpg

post-9-1171444544.gif

post-9-1171444560_thumb.jpg

post-9-1171444577_thumb.jpg

post-9-1171444740_thumb.jpg

sorry, Dude, for all your work and effort but AFAIC, V's Day is only used to support chocolate manufacturers, florists and those who make cards like Hallmark. fuck 'em all.

I'm glad New York City is thinking...'cause...it's not only Valentine's Day, but, according to Wikipedia, it's also the beginniing of the Fertility Festival - let the festivities commence :)

February fertility festivals

On the ancient Athens calendar, the period between mid-January and mid-February was the month of Gamelion, dedicated to the sacred marriage of Zeus and Hera.

In Ancient Rome, February 15 was Lupercalia. Plutarch wrote:

Lupercalia, of which many write that it was anciently celebrated by shepherds, and has also some connection with the Arcadian Lycaea. At this time many of the noble youths and of the magistrates run up and down through the city naked, for sport and laughter striking those they meet with shaggy thongs. And many women of rank also purposely get in their way, and like children at school present their hands to be struck, believing that the pregnant will thus be helped in delivery, and the barren to pregnancy.[3]

The word Lupercalia comes from lupus, or wolf, so the holiday may be connected with the legendary wolf that suckled Romulus and Remus. Priests of this cult, luperci would travel to the lupercal, the cave where the she-wolf who reared Romulus and Remus allegedly lived, and sacrifice animals (two goats and a dog). The blood would then be scattered in the streets, to bring fertility and keep the wolves away from the fields. [4] Lupercalia was a festival local to the city of Rome. The more general Festival of Juno Februa, meaning "Juno the purifier "or "the chaste Juno," was celebrated on February 13-14. Pope Gelasius I (492-496) abolished Lupercalia. Some historians argue that Candlemas (then held on February 14, later moved to February 2) was promoted as its replacement, but this feast was already being celebrated in Jerusalem by AD 381. The pope also declared in 496 that the feast of St. Valentine would be on February 14.

Slate looks in to where the heart symbol for Valentine's Day comes from:

Nobody's quite sure, but it might have to do with a North African plant. During the seventh century B.C., the city-state of Cyrene* had a lucrative trade in a rare, now-extinct plant: silphium. Although it was mostly used for seasoning, silphium was reputed to have an off-label use as a form of birth control. The silphium was so important to Cyrene's economy that coins were minted that depicted the plant's seedpod, which looks like the heart shape we know today. The theory goes that the heart shape first became associated with sex, and eventually, with love.

The Catholic Church contends that the modern heart shape did not come along until the 17th century, when Saint Margaret Mary Alocoque had a vision of it surrounded by thorns. This symbol became known as the Sacred Heart of Jesus and was associated with love and devotion; it began popping up often in stained-glass windows and other church iconography. But while the Sacred Heart may have popularized the shape, most scholars agree that it existed much earlier than the 1600s.

Less romantic ideas about the heart-shape's origin exist as well. Some claim that the modern heart-shape simply came from botched attempts to draw an actual human heart, the organ which the ancients, including Aristotle, believed contained all human passions. One leading scholar of heart iconography claims that the philosopher's physiologically inaccurate description of the human heart—as a three-chambered organ with a rounded top and pointy bottom—may have inspired medieval artists to create what we now know as the heart shape. The medieval tradition of courtly love may have reinforced the shape's association with romance. Hearts can be found on playing cards, tapestries, and paintings.

Hearts proliferated when the exchange of Valentines gained popularity in 17th-century England. At first the notes were a simple affair, but the Victorians made the tradition more elaborate, employing the heart shape in tandem with ribbons and bows.

Bonus Explainer: Why do we single out Feb. 14 to celebrate romance? It's said to be the day St. Valentine, a Roman priest during the third century, was executed. Legends about Valentine vary. Some say he was killed for illegally marrying Roman soldiers; others claim it was for helping Christians escape punishment at the hands of the pagan emperor. Just before his death, it's believed that he sent an affectionate note to the beautiful daughter of his jailer—the very first Valentine.

Slate:

Happy Valentine's Day everyone... :wub:

For those NOT celebrating...for you: :unsure:

Hearts and roses and kisses galore...

What the hell is all that shit for?

People get mushy and start acting queer

It is definitely the most annoying day of the year

This day needs to get the hell over with and pass

Before I shove a dozen roses up Cupid's ass

I'll spend the day so drunk I can't speak

And wear all black for the rest of the week

Guys act all sweet, but it soon will fade

For all they are doing is trying to get laid

The arrow Cupid shot at me must not have hit

Because I think love is a crock of shit

So there's the story...what else can I say?

Love bites my ass...F**K Valentines Day!

sorry, Dude, for all your work and effort but AFAIC, V's Day is only used to support chocolate manufacturers, florists and those who make cards like Hallmark. fuck 'em all.

Well...I am smiling today as I remember a Valentine's Day 34 years ago when Rainbowdemon sent me a dozen of long stem red roses! And as for chocolate manufacturers....I'll support them any and every day...my fat ass will attest to that! LOL Hope you all had a lovely Valentine's day....no flowers or card this year but I know I am loved! :wub:

Slum G

Just depends on your perspective on life, slumsypoo. I don't eat chocolates, flowers are to chew on, and I don't get cards--but I did see a sweet kitty cat across the street that made my heart purrrrrrr. So don't sweat it--life is a put on and events like today just give us cats something to scratch about on

Happy Valentine's day everyone :)