Are The Rolling Stones Still Relevant?

DudeAsInCool

i always try to be polite as well as honest. for most of my life i totally loved the Stones and never missed a gig in the tri-state area on any of their tours from way back when to the late 90s.

now i have Alabama 3, a band that speaks more to me and who i am (politics, rebellion and getting high) and doesn't charge hundreds of bucks for tickets. just sayin'. :wub:

Ah well. Admittedly they get too much for their shows and they really are just a ghost of their old selves. But they are The Rolling Stones dammit. They do have a laurel or two layin around still.

But yeah. Only time I saw them live (in person, seen them on PPV) was in 75. Had to drive 8 hours to see them and wasn't all that impressed, but it was a fun time. Live shows can be like that, specially in Florida. English lads aren't always up to takin the heat. Saw em on HBO last year I think and it wasn't very good either, and not cause of the heat.

I think the thing is, they don't need the money. They prolly just look back the 40 or so years and think, shit, still able to pack em in and charge whatever. Can't be too bad a feeling. I can't think of anyone else who will be able to match them.

I don't have to shell out the $400 or so to see em. Let others do that. But I do get a charge out of knowing that they are still goin out there and doin it.

Hmm, my first post is slagging off the Stones, dangerous....

slag away, dude.

When Mick turns up on the cover of Saga magazine, wearing a stripy rugby shirt and promoting his movie production firm, I think it's safe to say they are no longer relevant.
HOLY FUCKIN SHIT! i thought that was an old pic of him. obviously he's had some expensive facial work done. prolly right after Milla Jovavich (whom i totally love) refused to go out w/him last year or the year before.
I wouldn't wish to detract from their earlier material, which was fantastic.

yup, exactly.

I mean, Paint it Black sits in my top 10 ultimate songs,
it's Monkey Man, Sympathy for the Devil and other Sticky Fingers/Let It Bleed and Exile on Main street stuff for me.
bMick did the soundtrack to the Jude Law remake of Alfie, and it's boring.

i might puke.

Ah well. Admittedly they get too much for their shows and they really are just a ghost of their old selves.

thank you for saying.

But they are The Rolling Stones dammit. They do have a laurel or two layin around still.

just for still being around and gigging AFAIC.

Only time I saw them live (in person, seen them on PPV) was in 75.
and you call yerself a Stones fan? i laugh and point in yer general direction (kidding!) their live shows, pre 1980 were fan-fuckin-tastic.
I think the thing is, they don't need the money. They prolly just look back the 40 or so years and think, shit, still able to pack em in and charge whatever.

once again, fuck 'em where they breathe for the too-high ticket prices which leave out those who are too skint to see them and actually wanna.

I don't have to shell out the $400 or so to see em. Let others do that. But I do get a charge out of knowing that they are still goin out there and doin it.

personally, i think they're resting on their laurels or whatever. e.g., 'sweet neo-con?' i'm so not impressed by their political non-savvy nor their non-rebellion.

quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote

:dancer7:

my opinion...

they're still rockin. can anyone name a similar band with such a long successful career??

no..well wen it comes to their age, to still be on stage,if i see an article by this dude ill just turn the page.

however i have heard rumours that keith richards is a hologram..

personally, i think they're resting on their laurels or whatever. e.g., 'sweet neo-con?' i'm so not impressed by their political non-savvy nor their non-rebellion.

I appreciate the fact that they did the sweet neo-con song on a damn good album released at a time when we were trying to get an idiot out of the White House. Whether the song was politically incisive or not isn't the point...it was timely and it blasted Bush and his crew before the election, which was a good thing. The young people and the rock/rap stars did their part in the '04 election...too bad the Toby Keith fans/morons and old rednecks outnumbered them.

• 1 month later...
The Stones may be relevant in a historical kind of way.

In the music business, gross income is the primary indicator of relevance. The Stone's tours are not merely huge money makers, they're also cultural events. That's the ultimate in topical relevance.

. The Stone's tours are not merely huge money makers, they're also cultural events. That's the ultimate in topical relevance.

um, 'that's just your opinion, man.' :lol:

fuckin' figures. was this before or after Katrina?

fuckin' figures. was this before or after Katrina?

They were here in town over a year after Katrina. I took a grandson to his soccer game about 12 hours after the Stones concert, and several of the yuppie moms had their new Stones T-Shirts on...status symbols, y'know.

i might puke.

• 2 months later...
My mom went to the Stones concert here. She was wearing her normal clothes though

good on her *proud for your mom and you for having her*

I think the thing rock is linked to is youth and that is something the stones don't have

well, neither do i but i'm still linked to rock (i mean the music for once) :)

I think the thing rock is linked to is youth and that is something the stones don't have

not necessarily :lol: the question is 'can the youth keep up with me?'

not necessarily :lol: the question is 'can the youth keep up with me?'

lol, Dude. none of those whom i know can... :)

• 1 month later...

The thing about the music is that its constantly changing, the bands turn classical or forgotten. Bands like Rolling Stones who try to keep doing concerts and stuff are changine their image, because their are getting old, their music dont appeal to new generations.

They have to let it go... :)

• 3 weeks later...