My movie marathon

method77

Followed up the excellent documentary with The Power of Nightmares by the same filmmaker. Here's the description from Wikipedia:

The Power of Nightmares, subtitled The Rise of the Politics of Fear, is a BBC series of documentary films, written and produced by Adam Curtis.

This documentary argues that during the 20th Century politicians lost the power to inspire the masses, and that the optimistic visions and ideologies they had offered were perceived to have failed. The film asserts that politicians consequently sought a new role that would restore their power and authority. Curtis, who also narrates the series, declares in the film's introduction that “Instead of delivering dreams, politicians now promise to protect us: from nightmares”. To illustrate this Curtis compares the rise of the American neoconservatives and radical Islamists, believing that both are closely connected; that some popular beliefs about these groups are inaccurate; and that both movements have benefited from exaggerating the scale of the terrorist threat.

Highly recommended

Malicious recommended gave me this a while ago. Highly recommended

Which one? - Century of Self or The Power of Nightmares - you should see them both

'power of nightmares' is excellent. saw it on C4 over here and online as well. EVERYONE should see it, especially in the States,

BTW, Pan's Labyrinth was spellbinding.

I finished watching it this evening--it was a very well made film. I havent seen any of the films listed below, but now I am curious...

From Wikipedia:

Influences

Del Toro has said the film has strong connections in theme to The Devil's Backbone and should be seen as an informal sequel dealing with some of the issues raised there.[18] In 2004, del Toro said: "Pan is an original story. Some of my favorite writers (Borges, Blackwood, Machen, Dunsany) have explored the figure of the god Pan and the symbol of the labyrinth. These are things that I find very compelling (remember the labyrinth image on Hellboy?) and I am trying to mix them and play with them." However, in 2007, del Toro admitted to the striking similarities between his film and C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, which both have similar child-age principal characters, mythic creatures (particularly the fauns), and themes of "disobedience and choice." Says del Toro: "This is my version of that universe, not only 'Narnia,' but that universe of children's literature."[19] Some of the works he drew on for inspiration include Jorge Luis Borges' Labyrinths, Arthur Machen's The Great God Pan and The White People, Lord Dunsany's The Blessing of Pan, Algernon Blackwood's Pan's Garden and Francisco Goya's works.[20] And, intentional or not, it even bears a few likenings to Alice in Wonderland, especially in the illustrations in Ofelia's book and the green dress Ofelia wears right before her first task.[citation needed] The movie also borrows from themes popular in Spanish and Mexican culture and literature, including loss of innocence and the idea of magic existing as long as you believe.

[edit]Comparison to other films

In addition to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, Pan's Labyrinth has also been compared to films such as Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away and Jim Henson's Labyrinth.[21] Del Toro himself has noted similarities with The Spirit of the Beehive.[22]

• 3 weeks later...

saw 'children of men' twice this week --- great stuff, highly recommended if y'all like dystopic flicks.