England Swings!

ukswings

I'm sharing some information about an internet radio show that you may enjoy :

Remember the days when radio stations mixed pop, rock, soul, and other forms of music? Remember when a top 40 station played the best of modern music, no matter the genre?

In the late 1970s, American radio fragmented into various niches, and since then, the situation has only further fragmented.

But this didn't happen in other parts of the world.

In the United Kingdom, you can find stations that, to this day, play a mix of genres and formats across the board. Therefore, the British music scene has remained distinct and diverse - even on the BBC, you can tune in at any given time and hear, for instance, the Killers followed by Chamillionaire followed by Muse followed by the Sugababes, etc.

To explore the entire milieu of British music, we've designed a radio show. It's called "England Swings" and it airs on Saturdays at 12:00 Eastern Time. We pick the absolute best of current British music, add in some older songs by UK artists to provide a sense of history, and have a great time! The show can be found on the internet, live on Saturdays at:

www.fcac.org/webr

I'm not sure if anyone is doing anything quite like we are; the focus is British music, although we'll play occasional songs from elsewhere (even the USA) when they've become popular in the UK. The mission of the show is to bring the excitement of the British music scene to an international audience. We are 'casting on a local cable access station, and we're doing it not for any commercial reason, but simply because we love the music and are hoping to get it to a wider audience. I can't tell you the hundreds of times in years past when we've heard a great song from the UK, and thought, "Wow! That's a great song! Why isn't it getting any American airplay?"

Most Americans don't realize that some of the best pop, rock, techno, and urban music in the world is being done in the UK, and IT'S ALL MIXED TOGETHER there. Many people, when they consider British music, think that perhaps they're all still listening to the Beatles and Herman's Hermits over there. Oh, and maybe the Spice Girls. The American and British music scenes used to be more or less synonymous at times in the past, but now they're separated by a wider gulf than the Atlantic Ocean - the current state of radio (American radio in particular). This is unfortunate for American audiences - they don't know what they're missing!

Come join us and discover the best music Britain has to offer. Your amiable hosts Jim and Mike will welcome you! We have been doing the show now for four months, so we're actually getting competent at it. Here's a sample of artists we played last Saturday :

Morning Runner

Dave Clark Five

Equals

Strawbs

Just Jack

Mika

Madness

We'd love for you to join us!

We can be reached at :

[email protected]

Thanks for reading!

I totally thought this was going to be about all of the wife-swapping going on there.

:lol:

I think it's a play on the words of the Roger Williams song:

England Swings

England swings like a pendulum do bobbies on bicycles two by two

Westminster Abbey the Tower of Big Ben the rosy red cheeks of the little children

Now if you huff and puff and you fin'ly save enough

Money up to take your family on a trip across the sea

Take a tip before you take your trip let me tell you where you go go to England oh

Mama's old pijamas and your papa's mustache

Fallin' out the window sill frolic in the grash

Tryin' to mock the way they talk fun but all in vain

Gepin' at the dapper men with ferby hats and canes

i totally think it's spammy advert but what do i know?

Dude, you hit it right on the nose with the song; it's our theme! It's always the first thing we play on the show. Those are some of Roger Miller's most descriptive lyrics.

I have to take exception to the post being "spammy". I'm not trying to do anything with it other than to do what radio shows do - attract listeners. I chose to post it here because I felt that Beat King is a forum of people truly interested in music in all its forms. We work very hard putting the show together each week, and it may be of interest to many of the people who frequent the forum. If it was spam - or if we were trying to make money - I would be posting it all over the internet. I think I've posted the information maybe three times in the past four months in various places.

If you go to the WEBR website, you'll see that it's "homegrown community radio" with no advertising. It's a great station, with a wide variety of programming for nearly every taste.

But I don't want to sound like spam!

Thanks for reading,

UKSwings