IPhone, Video Hub Announced Today At Macworld

It's time for that one event on the tech industry calendar that's a combination of a rock show, political rally and gadget fest. And it's not the one in Las Vegas.

Macworld officially starts Monday, but all eyes will be on Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs on Tuesday when he takes the stage at San Francisco's Moscone Center. According to analysts, bloggers and devoted fan sites, Jobs is expected to introduce some combination of its iTV concept living-room product, new features to accompany the upcoming release of Mac OS X Leopard and an Apple-designed phone.

Read more at CNet

War for the '4th screen'

SAN FRANCISCO: For functions from e-mail and instant messaging to mobile MySpace and ESPN, computer users are increasingly turning to the "fourth screen" — the one on their cellphones — which is evolving to adopt more characteristics of the three previous generations of screens: movie, television and computer.

That shift may well be underscored on Tuesday when Steven Jobs, the chief executive of Apple Computer, is expected to unveil an Apple phone representing his company's new mobile communications strategy — highlighted by a device that may include Jobs-inspired refinements like a sleek ceramic case and a transparent touch screen.

Industry executives and competitors say that Apple has developed the first of the next generation of devices that are closer to personal computers in pocket form, meaning that they will easily handle music, entertainment, productivity tasks and communications on cellular and other wireless networks.

Source

Apple is expected to introduce ... a harddrive device which connects the computer to the tv

we (Chris and i) had this going already way back in summer 04 before we bought our Skart cable (for the german panasonic that plays all over the EU apart from the UK) and our DVD player and Macs. big whoop.

Go HERE to receive live written coverage from Engadget (Refresh often)

9:53am - "We have a 2 megapixel camera built right in, let's take a look at the top. A headset jack, 3.5mm, SIM tray, and a sleep-wake switch. Let's look at the bottom, we've got a speaker, mic input, and an iPod connector."

$499 for 4gb, $599 for 8gb. Available in June.

I think I will buy apple stock now.

post-9-1168365054_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168365382_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168365550_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168365565_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168365745_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366015_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366022_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366034_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366260_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366274_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366384_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366471_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366627_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366872_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366879_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168366886_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168367057_thumb.jpg

post-9-1168367586_thumb.jpg

11.6 millimeter device (that's frickin' thin, by the way) include a 3.5-inch wide touchscreen display with multi-touch support and a proximity sensor to turn off the sensor when it's close to your face, 2 megapixel cam, 4GB or 8 GB of storage, Bluetooth with EDR and A2DP, WiFi that automatically engages when in range, and quadband GSM radio with EDGE. Perhaps most amazingly, though, it somehow runs OS X with support for Widgets, Google Maps, and Safari, and iTunes (of course) with CoverFlow out of the gate. A partnership with Yahoo will allow all iPhone customers to hook up with free push IMAP email. Apple quotes 5 hours of battery life for talk or video, with a full 16 hours in music mode -- no word on standby time yet. In a twisted way, this is one rumor mill we're almost sad to see grind to a halt; after all, when is the next time we're going to have an opportunity to run this picture? The 4GB iPhone will go out the door in the US as a Cingular exclusive for $499 on a two-year contract, 8GB for $599. Ships Stateside in June, Europe in fourth quarter, Asia in 2008.

--Engadget

post-9-1168372717_thumb.jpg

is

not...

ive been waiting until someone came up with a device that would handle music, phone and the internet - i wish the device were bigger. What would be really nice is if they screen and keyboard could project larger images - then i would be really happy

Maybe they'll make you a bigger one if you ask nicely... that's the problem with internet on a phone.... it's such a small screen (why bother?) and all 3 have been available on one device for some time... just not in such a sleek package.

from Chris in mail called: iwannitiwannitiwannitiwannitiwannit drool pant pant pant as well as * net access (wifi or via the cell network — or as a modem for your laptop) which means email, skype, web, etc.

* music player

* movie player

* PDA/Palm

* phone

* camera (mediocre, but still)

* full-on Mac OS X — real programs, like on your Mac

I could, for example, set it up so that I could stream my music from my iTunes on my laptop to the phone while it was at home and I was at work. Or I could use it to connect to your Mac mini to fix your email while I was sitting at Heathrow airport. Or, if someone makes an iPod dock -> video connector (may already be available, actually), then you could connect this to a monitor & use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and do away with the laptop altogether.

Check macrumors.com for some links to Pogue, Engadget et al on the iPhone. Lotsa hearsay and rumours at this point, but it's a helluvan intriguing device.

i still don't wannit---let /him/ geddit and do all the work and let /me/ benefit from it.