12 Year Old Composer Compared To Mozart

DudeAsInCool

"We are talking about a prodigy of the level of the greatest prodigies in history, when it comes to composition. I am talking about the likes of Mozart, and Mendelssohn, and Saint-Sans."

Sam Zyman, composer

(CBS) There is a composer studying at New York’s renowned Juilliard School who some say is the greatest talent to come along in 200 years. He’s written five full-length symphonies, and he’s only 12 years old.

His name is Jay Greenberg, although he likes the nickname "Bluejay" because, he says, blue jays are small and make a lot of noise.

Greenberg says music just fills his head and he has to write it down to get it out. What’s going on in Bluejay’s head? Correspondent Scott Pelley spoke with him.

Read more

post-9-1164650479_thumb.jpg

No offence to this great talented kid but Mozart created that musical style. This kid or any other composer simply plays or creates symphonies. Compraring the kid to Mozart simply makes the kid look "small".

Dude. I watched the deal on him last night. He's like... I dunno 15 or 16 now, and has already written 5 symphonies.

He's a "prodigy," but it's sad in a way, cause the kid is really kind of a freak. He says he hears the complete symphony play out in his head exactly as it should be for each piece and instrument.

He said he also sometimes hears more than one piece of music at one time.

And, he is no Tiger Woods prodigy, his parents say that he just became obsessed with music (first being the cello) at age 2. He was writing music by the age of 4.

It's all awe inspiring, but watching the kid, it's almost like he has some messed up case of ADD or Autism.

all geniuses have something wrong with their brain

Well, do you really believe that the brain has something to do with thought ? apart of transmitting it from spirit to body... I know, the psychs ( :icon_mad: ) say so, and for them, the thought is a sort of emanation of the brain... they are the ones who invented that stupid thing about artist ("sain can't be, nevrotic I'm, mad Shouldn't be")...they even tried very hard since Einstein's death to find WHAT in his brain was different !... I read few years ago some rapport 'bout it, saying that they didn't find yet, but that surely they would do... just one tiny question : if the brain generate the thoughts, then it records also all souvenirs, it is in the rate of 25 pictures per sec, including all perceptions (the whole 52 perceptions), even if that is recorded at the molecular level, it would need a very very big nut to record only a dozen years of it!

True I agree with what method77 said, I would be cautious before to speak about Mozart (his first 4 or 5 symphonies written before the age of 9), or even Mendelssohn, or why not Rossini too who wrote his string quartets (with Dbass) at the age of 12... Mendelssonh quartets also where written at that age, (ahd also summernight's dream !) and all of those pieces are not only beautifully written, and with complete mastery, but also they can stand as models... and, most important, when one listen to them nobody thinks: "beautiful for a kid"... those pieces could have been written by one of the contemporaries (for instance, even if Mozart first symphonies seem to some "experts" simpler than the following ones, it's not because of been 8 or 9 yo, it's only because he started from what the style was at that moment, and his first symphs are just as simple as the ones of Emmanuel, or christian Bach that he admired very much...)

So, maybe it's the case with that kid... but I would like to hear some of his symphonies before anything else and surely not listening what a paperazzi or a TV speaker has to say about it...

Apart of that, for the fact of hearing first the whole piece in ones head, is rather normal... Not all composers talk much about the way they create their works, and also all aren't working the same way, but some ones mentioned it like Berlioz who said that during a night, he heard once a complete symphonic movement but it had disappeared the next morning... and again, Mozart... when you look his manuscripts, it is just like a perfect copy from a finished manuscript... nothing wrong had been erased or crossed out, even orchestra parts... because, starting to write it, he knew exactly where he was going... on the opposite, Beethoven was turning each little bit of tune or theme in his head, even singnig it aloud (rather screaming according to witnesses!) until it was judged by him to be perfect for it's use and place...

By the way, you'll find the same similitudes with painters, poets or writers... and all of you, if you even did once built a new garage in your house, or a piece of furniture for your lounge, you surely know exactly in advance what it'll look like when it'll be finished!... :rolleyes:

Two concepts:

Punctuation, separation.

Because, to be honest, without those two, I am too lazy to read a post like that.

Now... beyond that. Hrmph.

Well... you see. Mozart's works WERE edited. They are still in once piece, and he did lots of correction, but erasers weren't very prevalant in the time of Mozart, so his mistakes were crossed out.

However, some "music scholars" say that the reason this kid doesn't edit his work is basic immaturity. Could be true.

And I DO believe that thought emenates from the brain. I believe thought, choice, AND morality emenate from the brain.

Why?

Documented medical cases of brain damage completely altering human personality. Stroke victims. Head injuries. Identical twins raised in separate environments.

For example, Phineas Gage: http://www.deakin.edu.au/hmnbs/psychology/gagepage/

Recorded documented proof of human behaviour coming from anatomy, biology, and geneology.

Edited by Excrement_Cranium

Two concepts:

Punctuation, separation.

Because, to be honest, without those two, I am too lazy to read a post like that.

Now... beyond that. Hrmph.

Well... you see. Mozart's works WERE edited. They are still in once piece, and he did lots of correction, but erasers weren't very prevalant in the time of Mozart, so his mistakes were crossed out.

However, some "music scholars" say that the reason this kid doesn't edit his work is basic immaturity. Could be true.

And I DO believe that thought emenates from the brain. I believe thought, choice, AND morality emenate from the brain.

Why?

Documented medical cases of brain damage completely altering human personality. Stroke victims. Head injuries. Identical twins raised in separate environments.

For example, Phineas Gage: http://www.deakin.edu.au/hmnbs/psychology/gagepage/

Recorded documented proof of human behaviour coming from anatomy, biology, and geneology.

I'm sorry, Excrement_Cranium if my punctuation is not correct, but you must forgive a poor Frenchman to make such mistakes, I'm not quite sure yet of the way English punctuate a text... all I know, is there are much less comas than in French...

And, as for the separation, I prefer generally to start the first line more to the right (but that doesn't work on posts), and to use only the jumpin' a line for more important alineas separation...

Apart of that, what I mentionned about thought and brain was just a simple remark, and of course, you are free to have other beliefs, together with the psychs... to me, anyway, the proof that one can alter the comportement from someone with changes in the brain (chemically or surgerycally), is just like altering the comportement of a car by changing the connexions in the board... but the driver is still beyond that... but I do not wish to develop more of that thought on here, since it is quite far fetched from the original post...

Now, to come back to Mozart... and what you said, concerning his music... true, erasers where not very much in use (there where some type of erasers though, but not in rubber!), but generally, people would cross out their mistakes (Like Beethoven)...

Apart of that, I'm speaking from Mozart's manuscripts (not first editions)... which are free, MOST OF THEM, of any mistake.

In addition, true, Mozart changed some time, some of his works, but those were never "corrections" of mistakes.

For instance, there are different versions of some of his symphonies... but to understand that, you must put yourself back in the spirit of the eighteen century...

There was not, like today, a cult for the artworks from the past (I don't mean that was a better way!)... A work was composed for a certain occasion, and then, left in the top of a cupboard... and, if some time, Mozart for instance, a bit short in time and having to produce a new work for a new occasion, did remember a symphony written long ago, and decided then to use it again, it wouldn't be without changing some things in it, removing or adding some movements in it...

But again, here, we are discussing Mozart, and that is, I believe, far away from that kid by whom the post was started...

By the way, I never said he was not exceptionnal, nor gifted, nor worth of interest... I only said I'd like to hear his music to be able to judge by myself... The important thing being to know if his music is great, and not if it is great for having been written by a kid...

One more remark... be careful of "music scholars"... very oftens (not always though) they are like the good souls talking about women and family without having been even married nor in love once in their life...

"music scholars" have rarely been in the heart of music, have seldom been able to play it, and try to express it... most of the time, they have learn only what to think of it and what to say about it, from some other scholars having preceded them... they may be good for collecting data about musicians and their time, for history, but rarely for discussing music and its content.

Edited by dsoslglece