Your EDM Interview: Dallic On Creating His Debut Album

NelsonG

We are joined for an exclusive interview with the Dutch artist Dallic this week, and he recently showcased a plethora of new solo music on his first album, Debut. With such a unique style that continues to evolve, we wanted to catch up and hear more about the project and future plans.

Many thanks for joining us! How would you best introduce yourself?

You’re welcome! Thanks for having me. My real name is Diederick van Loo and I’m from The Netherlands. I was part of the producer duo Propulsive and in 2019 I decided to go solo as Dallic.

What is the Dallic sound all about?

I like to create things that are a bit different and sometimes I push boundaries and I think that can be heard sometimes in my songs. Also I don’t think my sound can be categorised into one genre. I like to add all kinds of influences to my music. 70s and 80s vibes mixed with genres such as progressive house, deep house, trance – to name a few.

What do you love most about doing this as a job?

The creative aspect. I am always writing and creating music in my head. I love to create things that don’t exist yet. Bringing tracks out to the world is the best part of this profession; it is always exciting to see whether the listeners will like it or not, which makes it exciting every time!

Where did your musical love story start for you? Do you remember any key early influences?

I have been busy with music all my life, When I was a teenager I only bought records from my earned money and I think I have a collection of 2000 LP’s and 1000 CD’s, haha. My greatest inspiration comes from the music I grew up with, such as Kate Bush, Michael Jackson and Jean MichelJarre.

Who or what are you currently really into, music-wise?

For my new singles I’m going to expand my synthesizer collection a little further, so I’m checking out many new bits of software. I made the album with only 3 synths so it has a certain sound. Right now I really love to discover new things technically, that makes me very creative!

Debut is out now and what a great album it is. Did it take you long to produce?

Thank you very much for this huge compliment! I have written (except for the vocal tracks) and produced the whole album by myself and the entire process of this took about a year and a half.

Are you happy with the end result? Do you have a personal favourite?

Yes, very happy. It’s a very personal story, a kind of diary from my life. It’s like processing of a lot of things in my life and it feels great to share it with the world.  I find it difficult to name a personal favorite, all the tracks have their own story, but if I have to choose then ‘Focus Shift,’ because my Dallic project started with that. That record means a lot to me. Also I really love the 80’s vibe in ‘You’.

Who would you love to remix or collaborate with?

I’d love to do a song with Tame Impala, or a remix. That is a big dream, haha. I admire this artist/producer enormously and I often listen to his music because his style is very creative. His sound could be combined perfectly with my music, I think. But I will keep on dreaming!

What do you have coming up next?

Music and more music – after the album, I will be focusing on many more Dallic singles. I’m working on lots of tracks and there will be a new single very soon!

Is there anything else we should know about you?

I love pineapple pizza 😉

This article was first published on Your EDM. Source: Your EDM Interview: Dallic On Creating His Debut Album

View the full article