Google CEO - CellPhones Should Be Free

DudeAsInCool

SAN FRANCISCO (Nov. 13) - Web search leader Google Inc.'s chief executive, Eric Schmidt, sees a future where mobile phones are free to consumers who accept watching targeted forms of advertising.

Schmidt said on Saturday that as mobile phones become more like handheld computers and consumers spend as much as eight to 10 hours a day talking, texting and using the Web on these devices, advertising becomes a viable form of subsidy.

Read more at AOL/Reuters

i think they should be free now, adverts be damned. they're like a safety device as far as the elderly and some very young children go.

then again, IMO things are fucked--the airtime should be paid for as they do in EU and the UK when only the caller pays for the call, not in the States where both parties pay the second the receiver of the call answers their damn phone. but what do i know?

i remember how freaked i was when i first got to DE and saw EVERYONE, old and young, w/cellphones; i was thinking 'how can they all afford it?' then i found out the above...duh me.

if you mean things have moved on in the States, i haven't heard/read anything differently.

and YES! i couldn't live w/o my cellphone here, i totally love it, love hearing from friends and all and being able to have them keep me company when i'm waiting at airports or bored outta my damn skull on queues or whatever.

then again, they're GREAT to flirt on, lol.

I hate 'em. Wouldn't take one even if they were free.

:mad:

Hate 'em. I will probably break down and finally get one when Apple comes with one in January

What is it that you don't like about them?

I hate the cost per minute.

I hate the text messages.

I hate the little number buttons.

I hate people that use them when they drive.

I hate people who talk incessantly on them in public places, movies, restaurants, stores, sidewalks, etc.

I hate it when I am talking to someone and the cellphone rings--they always answer it--cellphones are rude!

I hate everything about them.

I hate em.

:lol:

But they are good if you are stranded...and good if you are on the road.

they never charged the reciever anything here and prices are already really low. Free time, free texts depending on the kind of contract you have. You even get to choose 2 numbers to talk free as long as you want

BUT if you exceed the limit that they give you then you pay a lot. If you are smart, everything is cool. Connecting to the net or using those Live services is pretty expensive though but I don't see the reason to use those just yet. I don't care about getting the news or downloading tunes from the phone since I have the PC for that.

I hate people that use them when they drive.

I hate people who talk incessantly on them in public places, movies, restaurants, stores, sidewalks, etc.

I hate it when I am talking to someone and the cellphone rings--they always answer it--cellphones are rude!

But they are good if you are stranded...and good if you are on the road.

1. Use hands free when driving.

2. I also hate people who talk loud in public places

3. I never answer when I'm in the middle of an important conversation unless it's a hot babe and wants to fuck

I hate the cost per minute.

y'mean on both ends, don'tha? amerika! land of the free and home of the capitalistic fucks!

I hate the text messages.

obviously you haven't discovered the beauty and fun of them yet.

nope, the people who answer them when you're talking to them are rude. i always wait until they're done and then say 'excuse me, if you don't mind' usually they don't mind. :)

obviously you haven't discovered the beauty and fun of them yet.

nope

and can you imagine what would happen if the spammer deluxed did like it? Id probably end up with cramps and be well on my way to being a cripple

I hate the "I can't live without it" attitude. What did you people do before they existed? I also tend to hate anything faddish.

I also could live without the cellphone but I prefer living with it now. Turn it off whenever I feel like it takes me back to the pre-phone times. Easy as that.

We could also live without the internet, car, train, condom, oven, mp3 player, blah blah blah but why would we?

If I had to travel a lot then it would be useful. The truth is no one has ever complained about me returning phone calls - Im always prompt. I just dont need one at the moment. If I was making a film, or one the road, then I would need one

When you guys say hate, you really mean hate, not just a little bit annoyed.

Perhaps the cost of mobile phones in america, along with cheaper landlines, has meant mobiles have never integrated themselves with society.

I remember when mobiles were just catching on here and people were making the same complaints. Train companies had such problems from people complaining about other peoples mobiles that they started to introduce special carriages, like they used to have for smokers.

Now everyone has them, you just don't notice it any more.

As for the living without attitude, I guess it is the same as any other technology we say it about. Humans managed to live without in the past, but once it is part of life, it is not clear how.

can you imagine what would happen if the spammer deluxed did like it? Id probably end up with cramps and be well on my way to being a cripple

not on a cellphone, you woudn't be spamming, i can assure you that.

I hate the "I can't live without it" attitude. What did you people do before they existed?

used fucking phonebooths or whatever.

I also tend to hate anything faddish.

me too but over here, it's not a fad, it's a necessity and as i said, very cheap. necessary, especially when meeting people you've never met in meatspace before. also fun cause on the way to a gig, people are all 'are you there yet?' and it all adds to the spoing. and on new year's eve, forget it--EVERYONE txts the shit out of everyone else, those they're not w/on that night. makes me happy to get txts from people from all over.

We could also live without the internet, car, train, condom, oven, mp3 player, blah blah blah but why would we?

speak for yerself, dude, lol. i for one, totally cannot live (happily) w/o the internets. :)

Phone booths are OK for making calls - you just have to hope that the mate you are late to meet with is standing next to one and you know what the number for it is!

Or that there is a phone booth on the back lane that you break down on.

I found this clip in a book that I'm reading called "the age of unreason" (I dont recommend it)

"The next generation of cordless telephones may give everyone their own portable personal telephone to be used anywhere at affordable prices. Link it to a lap-top computer and a portable fax and a car or train seat becomes an office. More interestingly, a telephone will then belong to a person, not a place. WE will call a person and not know where they are"

I need a more up to date reading list!

I found this clip in a book that I'm reading called "the age of unreason" (I dont recommend it)

"The next generation of cordless telephones may give everyone their own portable personal telephone to be used anywhere at affordable prices. Link it to a lap-top computer and a portable fax and a car or train seat becomes an office. More interestingly, a telephone will then belong to a person, not a place. WE will call a person and not know where they are"

I need a more up to date reading list!

:lol:

phonebooths BLAH!!

Germs and people waiting behind you or you waiting for the other person to hand you a sweaty phone

Blah again!

:lol: exactly. personally, i always turned around when people were waiting; my privacy was already compromised by the phone companies taking off the glass/plastic walls. fuck 'em, i was all 'i'm tryin' t' tawk here' *in a Dustin Hoffman in 'midnight cowboy' voice*