America votes: Democrats win control of the US House

KiwiCoromandel

Democrats swept Republicans out of power in the US House of Representatives today riding public doubts about the war in Iraq and President George W Bush's leadership to victory.

Two years after a decisive election victory for Bush and his Republicans, Democrats picked up the 15 seats they needed to recapture control of the 435-seat House for the first time since 1994, both CNN and NBC television said at 5.12pm NZT.

more here...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cf...jectID=10409757

post-193-1162962845.jpg

Thanx, Kiwi. We have also 3 seats in the Senate--and its down to the wire on the other three we need to take control there...
i`ve been following that too mate...looking good as well...there are many people that work on the centre-left of politics down here in nz that are partying tonite mate....i`m one of them....:lol::lol:

one more time, thanks to Lebowski:

CONDOLENCES! THE BUMS LOST! THE BUMS WILL ALWAYS LOSE!

YAY US! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Democrats are ahead in Montanna and Virginia by a hair--if they take those states, they take control of the Senate

The Republicans have been surprisingly conciliatory through all this--their arrogance has fizzled like a balloon

Interesting you mention that, Kiwi. The White House recently cropped that very picture and took out the "Mission Accomplished" section--if you to to the White House website, you can go back to that date and see the change...

Let's hope that the Democrats can actually cause some good for a change... early analysis suggests the 1) war in Iraq, 2) corruption and 3) weaking of the middle class were the major issues that the public wants a reversal on.

It'll be a while until anything significant happens to the middle-lower classes of the United States. It'll be a while until foreign policy makes more sense and isn't driven by arrogance and a lack of respect for life.

The Democratic party features many members that are considered "right wing" in the global scheme of politics.

Don't think you'll be getting national health care or anything like that in the next decade. Besides, they wont even have enough power to do anything significant for a long time. The president, meanwhile, still holds all the power on foreign policy, and it's obvious he'll ride the Iraq war out until the bitter end of his second term. That means deadlock until at least 2008. Enjoy the next two years.

You are probably right, Ken, but I think this election may be a turning point. It was a blow out across the board. I think the people want major changes and I think we are going to see them....my prediction is something somewhere inbetween what you suggest and what needs to be done --

..most political parties have a right and a left...i was considered to be on the right of the center-left party that i worked for and i ran as a candidate for the nz parliament in the 1997 general election on a fairly conservative platform of change....we did well and entered into a center-left coalition with the New Zealand Labour Party...ah memories...anyways...my prediction...the democrat left and center will do a deal with the "blue-dog/conservative" democrats from the southern states...if they haven`t already...this will enable house speaker nancy pelosi (doesn`t that just roll off your tongue.. :lol: )and the democrats to push forward economy-wise on bottom line social issues such as the minimum wage, pharmaceutical charges and health care for the elderly and those on low and fixed incomes....and that will give the democrats the appearance of having moved slightly to the left and away from big business influence and george bushes` radical right wing policies..such as the privatisation of social security...this will show the public that the democrats are focussing first on economic and domestic issues and not just the war in iraq...they`ll save that for the king hits that the democrats intend to land on George Bush further down the track....remember republican harassment of bill clinton and all the republican driven supoenas that were issued during bill clintons last 2 years in power....remember republican hit man and prosecutor Kenneth Starr???...remember monica lewinsky and the torture republicans put bill clinton thru over that issue....bill clinton and the democrats do mate....they remember very much....it`s pay-back time...in spades...i also tend to think that nancy pelosi is much more liberal/progressive and left leaning (by american standards anyway) than she is currently being portrayed as in the media at the moment....watch that space..and..there`s no way in hell that the democrats are not going to do everything that they can to make george bushes life shitty and miserable...i`ll tell you one thing that i learned....politics is about pay-back..as someone once said..."Bring It On"....:lol::lol::lol:

The Republicans have been surprisingly conciliatory through all this--their arrogance has fizzled like a balloon

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

quoting Jen again, i'm fucking OD-ing on Schadenfreude over here. and one mo' time: they can dish it out but just can't take it. loooooooo-zers!

someone send me this and the file is called 'santorum'. Looked it up and he is a politician who lost

PWED!!!

He was a conservative Senator from my home state of Pennsylvania--Im told that went to college with me and in my major!

GOP Says Rumsfeld Stepping Down

Republican officials say Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is stepping down. Word comes a day after the Democratic gains in the election, in which Rumsfeld was a focus of much of the criticism of the Iraq war.

Bush takes blame for election "thumping"

US President George W. Bush took responsibility for a "thumping" by Democrats in congressional elections, and admitted the drubbing reflected frustration over a "lack of progress" in Iraq.

"I know there's a lot of speculation on what the election means for the battle we're waging in Iraq," Bush said at a White House news conference, as his Republican party digested its defeat by Democrats.

"I recognize that many Americans voted last night to register their displeasure with the lack of progress being made there," he said.

As his announcement that US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had resigned sent shockwaves through Washington, Bush made clear that another linchpin of his administration, Vice President Dick Cheney, would stay on until the end of his term in January 2009.

Source

post-9-1163015607.jpg

post-9-1163015609.jpg