Green Day-Wake me up when September ends

Sir Droopy

In this melancholy ballad, Billie Joe, backed by the support of the other members of Green Day, takes a trip back to his painful childhood and thinks about the day he lost his innocence when his father died. In 2005, it reached # 6 on the charts in 2005, off the album, American Idiot, which received a Grammy for best rock album.

watch it

http://www.vsocial.com/video/?l=48364

download it

http://www.uploading.com/files/01LHP8L0/Gr...r_ends.avi.html

greenday.jpg

• 1 month later...
Wake me up in September? wake me up when this loathsome record finally ends.... American idiots.

You must be referring to the band, not all Americans :)

• 2 months later...
:lol: i guess it is a pretty old track.

loathsome?? What's not to like about this song??

Actually, quite a lot.

While I won't be as crass, I have to agree with trent on this one. GD is like the Britney of modern-day punk. While not shrouded in all the glitzy media drama, all they're essentially good for is a toe-tapping tune while you wait during rush-hour traffic or through headphones trying to get the latest high score on Street Fighter at your local mall arcade.

I predict instrumental versions at K-mart within the next 5 years.

• 2 months later...

I actually enjoy a good bit of Green Day's stuff. the title cut from American Idiot is a pretty good song.

I'm not trying to start any kind of argument, but I always find it a bit disquieting when people scoff at Green Day's supposed lack of 'punkness'.

Just because they don't fit neatly into the 'punk' category, people dump on them. Since when does a band have to fit into someone's ideal of what they think the band should be?

Why would I dislike someone's music because it isn't punk enough, or rap enough, or country enough, or whatever? That's limiting what I can listen to, and I certainly did enough of that in my youth.

Not anymore. If it's pleasing to my ear, I'm going to listen to it, regardless.

Green Day is Green Day. I take them for what they are, and I enjoy their music.

I actually enjoy a good bit of Green Day's stuff. the title cut from American Idiot is a pretty good song.

I'm not trying to start any kind of argument, but I always find it a bit disquieting when people scoff at Green Day's supposed lack of 'punkness'.

Just because they don't fit neatly into the 'punk' category, people dump on them. Since when does a band have to fit into someone's ideal of what they think the band should be?

Why would I dislike someone's music because it isn't punk enough, or rap enough, or country enough, or whatever? That's limiting what I can listen to, and I certainly did enough of that in my youth.

Not anymore. If it's pleasing to my ear, I'm going to listen to it, regardless.

Green Day is Green Day. I take them for what they are, and I enjoy their music.

not if they jump onto some bandwagon to be more commercial

More commercial, according to whom?

There's no discernable difference in their style between, say, Dookie, released in 1994, I think, and American Idiot, released, in 2004.

Because an album sells 6 million copies, or whatever, doesn't make a band more commercial, only more popular. I think that's what bugs the punk fans.

the band hasn't changed. The fan base has.

Edited by bear