dog lovers, please help

rainbowdemon

:lol: That vessel in your forehead almost burst that time bud.

I've never been a dog person either. They are too blindly loyal. Abusive owners will find their cat doesn't forgive shit.

i'd throw it away as well, not the doggy the fucking letter.

I've never been a dog person either. They are too blindly loyal. Abusive owners will find their cat doesn't forgive shit.

You know... I'm not really a dog person either, as I KNOW what kind of work is involved with having a dog. My wife... well... she had no clue.

So, yeah, I have a dog now.

I confused my wife because I refused to have a dog in the first place, but now that she has bonded with the family, I refuse to get rid of her no matter what.

Thanks to all of you, Tammy Grimes came in second place on the Animal Planet voting for Hero of the Year! Many congratulations to Mona Rutger, of Ohio, who came out strongly in front of the pack; it's an honor well-deserved for Mona, and we'd like to congratulate all the amazing candidates for Hero of the Year: Carol Buckley, Kristin Cheney, Alison Gianotto, Tammy Grimes, Kelly Grinter, Sally Maughan, William Mitchell, Pam Porteous, Mona Rutger, and Anneke Vos. We at Dogs Deserve Better are immensely proud to have been a part of it.

• 2 months later...

Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"Stop The Pit Bull Ban In Ohio"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition

service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/10121985/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might

agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider

signing yourself.

• 2 months later...

FREE TO A GOOD HOME?????

The Tragedy of "Free To Good Home"

Most people have good intentions when they advertise a cat or dog as "Free To Good Home". They care what happens to the animal and are not interested in making money. All they want to do is find a nice family that is willing to give the pet a loving, responsible home.

The tragedy occurs when the animal is mistakenly put into a situation where it is neglected, abandoned, abused, or even sold for lab experimentation. Sadly, this sort of thing happens thousands of times each day across America.

Giving any pet away is misguided. People tend not to value what they don't pay for. If you charge a nominal fee of $35-$45 or more for an animal, the new owner is more likely to take their commitment to the pet seriously. A free pet is a disposable pet!

Paying a fee for a pet shows good faith on the part of the new owner and demonstrates their willingness to properly care for the animal. The truth is, there is no such thing as a "free" pet anyway. By the time a cat or dog is checked out by a vet, including shots, worming, health testing, and spay/neuter, a "free" pet will easily cost in excess of $100, and that's just for starters. A responsible person who would properly take care of an animal will understand this and will not be opposed to paying a reasonable fee for a healthy pet, especially if some or all of these health items have already been taken care of.

Still not convinced? Then ask yourself these questions, "If a person cannot afford to pay an adoption fee for a pet, how will they be able to afford the normal expenses of proper pet care? And how will they ever afford vet bills when the pet gets sick?"

If you are uncomfortable with asking a fee for the pet, consider including food, toys, supplies, etc. as an added incentive. The idea is not to make a profit, but to ensure the good intentions of the new owner. In any event, the animal should be "fixed" and have its "shots" before it is adopted out and these costs alone can easily equal $45 or more. Use the adoption fee to recoup your expenses.

One final thought on this subject - if you absolutely don't want to take any money yourself, ask the adoptor to make the check out to a local animal shelter or SPCA instead. These organizations can surely use the help!

What can happen to a pet that is given free to a casual, uncommitted owner?

Abandoned to the streets. This is the most likely scenario that occurs when an uncommitted owner tires of a pet. Street animals suffer every day of their short lives. The end always comes painfully, either from violent trauma or from lingering disease.

Handed over to Animal Control and euthanized. People who do not take their responsibilities seriously always take the easy way out!

Marginally Owned. The pet will not be cared for properly and is often allowed to roam the streets.

Abused. The owner will not make the effort to properly train the animal. Often this leads to inappropriate responses from the owner and abuse of the pet when it "misbehaves".

Next, we would like you to be aware that there are dishonest people who routinely obtain animals for profit by fraudulently answering "Free To Good Home" ads. They are usually very persuasive and friendly. They know all the "right" answers to your questions because they do this sort of thing on a regular basis. Some may even bring their kids along to make you think they are a loving family!

The most important thing you can do to discourage this kind of person is to charge an adoption fee! This makes it much more difficult for them to realize a profit so they will usually not bother contacting you.

What can happen to an animal if you let one of these con artists have it?

Used to "live train" fighting dogs. The animal you expected to be a pet is used to bait a fighting dog and is literally torn to pieces.

Sold at Flea Markets or Auctions to anybody who happens along. Most of the time these animals are neglected, kept in cramped, unsanitary conditions and often become sick and diseased.

Sold to a Class-B Dealer who then resells the animal to a research facility. People who practice the despicable act of rounding up strays to sell them are referred to as "Bunchers". At the research facility, the animal may suffer abuse and most likely will be euthanized after they are finished with it.

Used for breeding stock in a "Puppy Mill". The living conditions in most of these establishments are deplorable. Bitches have continuous litters, one after the another.

Used as live food or bait for exotics like snakes or alligators.

Sacrificed in cult rituals. Some people find this hard to believe, but the FBI has many files documenting this kind of activity in our country.

How can you help to prevent these tragedies?

Convince your local newspapers to post warnings in their pet classified sections! A lot of papers across the country are already doing this.

Call "Free To Good Home" ads and warn them! Check newspapers regularly and let people know what could happen to their pet and tell them how to prevent this avoidable situation.

Advise people not to adopt out pets at Halloween! Solid black and solid white cats are especially in danger at this time of the year. Cult members and vicious pranksters are on the lookout for animal victims. It is a common practice of most shelters and rescue organizations to never adopt out black or white cats during the Halloween season.

Pass on these tips to persons who are adopting out animals:

Don't give pets away! Reference the reasons previously given in this article.

Be sure to "fix" the pet before adoption to prevent more "Free To Good Home" ads! Find out if the local humane or others will spay or neuter the animal for a reasonable cost. Use the adoption fee to recoup your money.

The most important thing you can do to stop animal abuse is to spay or neuter your pets!

Use a Pet Adoption Agreement! Please don't let the animal out of your door without a signed adoption agreement! This will usually stop dishonest people in their tracks.

Sad news. Doogie has passed on.

Duke", "Doogie", "Jake" dies peacefully and on his own terms after 5-1/2 months of loving care, proper medication

Doogie has diedThe dog whose September 11, 2006 rescue initiated an ongoing legal battle has died.

Duke, alias "Doogie" and "Jake" died Thursday morning, March 1st, at the home of his foster mother.

He died peacefully, waiting for her to leave the room before passing, as many dogs (and humans) do.

She wrote: "It's with great sadness in my heart that I tell you Doogie passed away yesterday morning (March 1st) around 9:10 am...

Read More

:rip1:

post-4-1173230821_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking this is a farm - town split. I see that the dog lived 5 months with the greatest care possible. I suspect that the dog would have perished within a week had it been left with its owner.

Here's what I mean about the farm - town split. This week one of my parents cows got down and onto her back while giving birth. She was discovered and righted within 15-30 minutes. There can be no doubt that she was going to die though. They could have rushed her to the vet and perhaps the vet could have kept her alive for a few days, but she was going to die. She did about 3 hours later.

Would it serve a useful purpose to spend the money to take her to the vet?

Here's the point that I was afraid would offend you. I believe the dogs owner had noticed the dog was sick and simply decided to wait it out until the animal died. The woman this thread is about did what she did for what reason.... publicity?

/hides

I believe the dogs owner had noticed the dog was sick and simply decided to wait it out until the animal died. The woman this thread is about did what she did for what reason.... publicity?

The owners did say something, after Tammy took the dog, about wanting to have him put down. But he was just laying on the ground suffering. He ended up at least getting a few months of what he should have had all of his life. He was 19 years old as it was. Large dogs tend to live 15 years, at the most. Smaller dogs a bit longer. We know nothing of the dogs quality of life prior to this. But I suspect he was chained for many years.

Maybe it was for publicity, who knows but Tammy. But if it was, it was for a good reason. Dogs Deserve Better is a first-rate outfit. Dedicated to freeing chained dogs, and trying to get the practice outlawed. Many dogs have been rescued, and now have a good life. And several states have outlawed 24/7 chaining. Others have legislation pending.

I am 100% behind Tammy, and what she does.

I'm not sure about the cow, though. It would be wrong for a vet to extend any dying animal's life by just a few painful hours. But I have little knowledge of farm animals. Do you form the same, or similar, emotional bonds with them as you do with pet animals?

*come out of hiding now, you're safe*

Depends on the animal. Cat, dog, horse and young heifer/cow are all safe to form a bond with.

Apparently for some - sheep