dog lovers, please help

rainbowdemon

This is an article that was in my hometown newspaper. I think I might even know this woman. But I admire her efforts either way.

EAST FREEDOM, PA. - Tied up in a backyard and lying on the ground, old Jake was a sad sight to Tammy Grimes.

So the dog-lover said she removed the 19-year-old German Shepherd mix from his chain and took Jake to get care.

Grimes called it an act of compassion. Police say she stole the dog. Owners Steve and Lori Arnold want Jake back.

Read More

Tammy Grimes is the founder of an organisation called "Dogs Deserve Better". It's devoted to getting help for dogs that spend their whole lives on a chain. I signed up. At least have a look at their site.

http://dogsdeservebetter.org/home.html

I disagree with her whole-heartedly.

The only evidence we have of the dog's mistreatment is her word. Is that better than the owner's? She's a thief.

Chaining your dog so the city doesn't take him away is not abuse.

I dont think that the neighbor acted rashly - I think they noticed that the dog was chained/abused for a long period of time. In other news, here is the ultimate site for and about dogs...

Dogster

Tipton, PA—Tammy Grimes, founder of Dogs Deserve Better, has been chosen as a Top Ten Finalist in the Animal Planet Hero of the Year Contest. The winning nomination came from Autumn Temple of Altoona, PA, a Dogs Deserve Better supporter and local hero in her own right through her work with the area's families and children.

Autumn's winning nomination states, "Tammy dedicates so many hours to Dogs Deserve Better that this organization is her life. Dogs Deserve Better pays for fencing for those who want to unchain their animals and allow them freedom. Tammy is also a perpetual foster mom to unwanted dogs, until she can find them a home. Tammy’s home should be considered the dogs’ home as she has installed a number of doggy doors, and has fenced the yard. Her home is very much the place for animals.

From July 1 - July 15, Tammy successfully held Dogs Deserve Better’s first annual “Chain Off Contest” to raise awareness for chained dogs. Eleven contestants were chained to doghouses and the one who lasted the longest won a new Chevy Aveo. As a result of the contest, the runner-up of the contest immediately went home and unchained his dog. Dogs Deserves Better is now working with the dog and its guardian to create an animal-friendly environment. Tammy Grimes has inspired so many others that she now has Dogs Deserve Better representatives in 37 states, plus Puerto Rico and Canada. Tammy also involves youth in the advocacy of animals as junior representatives for the organization. Tammy’s efforts have changed the lives of many animals and families."

If Grimes wins, Dogs Deserve Better will receive a $10,000 donation to further it's efforts for chained and penned dogs. To vote, go to http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/he.../poll/poll.html.

Dogs Deserve Better is a 501c3 nonprofit organization headquartered in Tipton, Pennsylvania, is the 2003 First Place Winner of the ASPCA Pet Protector Award, and currently has 150 area reps in 37 states as well as in Canada and Australia.

About Dogs Deserve Better

Dogs Deserve Better works to bring dogs out of the backyard and into the home and family.

Dogs Deserve Better

Tammy Grimes

Executive Director

email: [email protected]

phone: 814.941.7447

97bce8fc61.jpg

Gov. Schwarzenegger Signs Anti-Tethering Bill!

California Tethering Limited to Three Hours a Day

Press Release From the Governor's Office

Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Legislation to Outlaw Inhumane Dog Tethering

Governor Schwarzenegger announced today the signing of SB 1578 by Senator Alan Lowenthal (D-Long Beach) that would prohibit dog owners from the cruel practice of tethering their pets to stationary objects for more than three hours.

“Owning a dog can be a very rewarding experience. As a dog owner, I know first hand that having a pet requires a lot of responsibility,” said Governor Schwarzenegger. “This bill helps protect dogs from cruelty, and enhances public safety by preventing aggressive animal behavior that can result from inhumane tethering.”

SB 1578 outlaws the tethering of a dog for more than three hours. Tethering a dog will result in an infraction or misdemeanor, depending on the offense, punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 per dog and/or up to six months in a county jail.

Last week, Governor Schwarzenegger signed two other bills to enhance pet safety. SB 1806 by Senator Liz Figueroa (D-Fremont) will make it a crime for pet owners to carelessly leave animals unattended in vehicles during dangerous conditions, such as hot weather. SB 1349 by Senator Soto (D-Pomona) increases the penalty for causing any animal to fight with another animal to one year or less in the county jail or up to a $5,000 fine, or both. The second offense for fighting animals or roosters can be a felony in some cases, which may result in prison time or a $25,000 fine, or both.

I can say it feels a lot better to be arrested for doing good than for doing bad! I did the only thing I could possibly do for Doogie that my soul would allow. Now I can look myself in the eye; sleep at night. If I had taken the cowardly route, left him there to die while waiting for some authority to decide MAYBE they should act after 3 days or longer, then I would not be the person I want to be.

If there is anyone out there who values property more than life, I would feel sorry for that person.

Thank God California got a law in place...this law, if enforced, may have saved Doogie from imminent death on the end of that chain. Tammy

more bad news for doggie lovers: this next from a mail from Christine in Seattle:

I got a letter in the mail from the government , the Pierce County

Auditor's office, that I have to pay a license for my dog or pay a fine. I

threw it away , I'm going to tell them my dog died rather than pay the

government. Used to be that the Humane Society handled the pet licenses ,

and I didn't mind paying because they helped find homes for animals and it

wasn't run by the govt, but now the government has taken over I don't

want to give them anything. Then Diane came over last night and told

me her sister had received a package (not a letter, a package) in the mail

from the govt saying she had too many pets, the limit is 6 and she has 8,

and they told her she has to register her house as a kennel, which costs

$150 a year, and also build kennels in her backyards for her pets!, (as

well as buying them all pet licenses and proving they're fixed). One dog

is 14 she doesn't even have the information anymore that the dog was

fixed. They should have it on file when it was transferred from the

Humane Society but they just want to get more money because the license

fee is higher for unfixed pets.

This really pissed me off, and then Diane told me about the N.A.I.S.

National Animal Surveillance, that soon all animals will have to be

registered with the govt. every cow, pig, chicken, like in Communist

countries -(this is all Bush's doing of course)

link to news story

STOP THE NAIS

petition

they're trying to squeeze money out of US for that fucking war every way they can. fuck 'em. fuck 'em all.

i`m not that keen on dogs..i`m a cat man..but i don`t like to see any animal or human entity callously exploited for profit motives and/or as a fucking cost-cutting exercise..... :mad: ....i signed slum..the only NZer so far.... :) :)

thank you, signer dudes...this pisses me off more than i can say. Christine has two doggies and 8 kitties (lives near the woods so everything's fairly cool apart from her redneck neighbors).

the fucking gov't has taken over EVERYTHING, all for more money to go out and kill and/or 'spread democracy' which is totally fucked up. it ain't democracy, it's a fucking disgrace and they're shutting down school progammes of the artsy-musical variety, amongst other things, just for their greed.

I

threw it away , I'm going to tell them my dog died rather than pay the

government.

Threw it away? THREW IT AWAY??

What in the fuck does this mean? If it's what I think, this individual is a lot worse than her "redneck" neighbors could ever be. I have absolutely NO respect for a low life that can even think of doing something like that.

Threw the letter away dude...

Cats....

Cats are an epidemic all their own.

Said friend has to euthenize hundreds of cats a week because of overpopulation. Unlike dogs, cats are smart, self sufficeint, and excellent survivors. They also breed like crazy.

He has said though, that there is some foundation that donates to the humane society to have feral cats fixed, ears docked, and tagged for rerelease... dunno why.

I'm no tetherer... but I'm sure I'd be looked upon as the devil. When we moved back in with my mom so that I can cut my work hours for school, we moved to a house w/ no fenced yard that is also on a busy road. I don't chain my dog, but when we are away during the day, she has an indoor kennel (on the upside, she's a small dog, and I bought her the biggest crate I could find).

Not something I really LIKE to do, but she gets separation anxiety, tears things up, and shits all over the house.

On longer away stints, she goes to my mother-in-law's house (my old house)... but she only likes that for so long, as over there she has to sleep outside with the other dogs in a doghouse.

We almost left her with my in-laws when we moved, but I decided separating her from her family was more cruel than some crate time.