Rage against the Machine-Killing in the name

Sir Droopy

In my opinion, the best rock band of the 90's with the only guitar hero of the 90's. Excellent music, very conscious lyrics, completely original style. Miss the hell out of 'em. This is off their debut album, that went 3 times platinum. The lyrics posit the possibility that some members of law enforcement in the United States are also members of Ku Klux Klan: "Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses."The last line has become rather notorious: "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!" shouted repeatedly, most likely referring to the oppressive KKK groups the song is aimed at, but also a message of rebellion to the American government as a whole.

watch it

http://media.putfile.com/Rage-against-the-...-the-name-of-79

download the video

http://rapidshare.com/files/46839846/Rage_...In_The_Name.mpg

EFbGB0vBAq.jpg

Edited by Sir Droopy

thank you muchly for this--one of my alltime faves.

Who was a better rock band in the 90's than RATM??

Kyuss, for one. RATM was good for a very particular type of rock, but they exhibited little range beyond the "Killing In The Name Of" style of rock song. Listen to "Blues For The Red Sun" (especially), "Sky Valley" or "...And The Circus Leaves Town" and you'll hear the whole range--from delicate acoustic work to Tool-like darkness, from Hendrix-inspired lead riffs over slabs Sabbathesque bedrock to songs that even sounded downright Primus-ish. Also, social conciousness is, in imo, a separate department. If that is the sole criteria, then Rage was definitely one the top 90's band for that.

Other '90's bands that were also quite good--Tool, Soundgarden, Catherine Wheel, Oasis, Built To Spill, Primus...there are others, but those bands could be arguably listed as at least as good as RATM.

Kyuss, for one. RATM was good for a very particular type of rock, but they exhibited little range beyond the "Killing In The Name Of" style of rock song. Listen to "Blues For The Red Sun" (especially), "Sky Valley" or "...And The Circus Leaves Town" and you'll hear the whole range--from delicate acoustic work to Tool-like darkness, from Hendrix-inspired lead riffs over slabs Sabbathesque bedrock to songs that even sounded downright Primus-ish. Also, social conciousness is, in imo, a separate department. If that is the sole criteria, then Rage was definitely one the top 90's band for that.

Other '90's bands that were also quite good--Tool, Soundgarden, Catherine Wheel, Oasis, Built To Spill, Primus...there are others, but those bands could be arguably listed as at least as good as RATM.

KYUSS! ftw. i agree

but people around the world voted for Radiohead

*snigger* i know! :lol:

What is their best album?

I assume you are asking about Kyuss, Dude. Kyuss (named for a D&D character that raised hordes of undead) started off as a "generator band"--hauling all their equipment into the desert outside of Palm Springs CA, plugging into generators, and blasting music into the desert. Guitarist Josh Homme also got into the habit of tuning down to a C and playing through bass amps to get a really super heavy sound. Their very first album, Wretch, was little more than a demo--low production value, done on the cheap cheap, later on they rarely played anything from it. Their second album, Blues For The Red Sun (1992) is considered by many to be one of the top albums of the '90's, and it certainly showcases their immense range. Imo it is their most consistent and driven work and deserves all the accolades and claims of masterpiece etc etc. I would start there, if you are unfamiliar with their work. Their next is actually named Kyuss (1994) but usually referred to as Welcome To Sky Valley because the front sleeve features a road leading into the desert night with a sign that says Welcome To Sky Valley. It is very close in quality to Blues but is more psychedelic; it is arranged in 3 'suites' of 3 songs, 3 songs and 4 songs respectively. Each one sort of revolves around a theme; when you unfold the sleeve the credits start off with "Instructions: Listen Without Distraction." Their last full length, ...And The Circus Leaves Town (1995) is an awesome album as well, but the second half has a bit mellower than anything on their previous releases. They toured with White Zombie that summer, when I caught them at a show in Mass. They went into the studio late in the fall of '95 and started working on their next studio album, but they broke up before the year was out. In 1997 they released a split EP with Homme's new band Queens Of The Stone Age that consisted of the three songs they recorded in the fall of '95; in 2000 they put out a Best Of that included some rare b-sides and live stuff.

They have been often referred to as "The Velvet Underground of Stoner Rock" mostly because like VU, they recieved little recognition other than from other muscians during their existence, only becoming widely recognized as groundbreaking in the years after their demise.

Thanx, CTC - I will have to get my hands on the latter two cd's you mentioned :) Also, I should add Alabama III to the 90s list - one of the best live bands

I've got Kyuss - "Sky Valley." It's an acquired taste. I enjoy it, but my best friend doesn't. He says it's tortuous, the length of the songs. I think CTC hit it on the head describing it, though.

Personally, i have to agree that the way Sky Valley is set up can be infuriating...unless you rip it and break the suites up, they can be long chunks of music to digest, or if you have a particular song in mind (or stuck in your head :lol: ). I had a cd player in my old pickup truck that didn't have a "track memory" -- when you shut the truck off and turned it back on, it would reset at the start of the track instead of picking up where it was. So on a day of running a bunch of short trips/errands, if i didn't get through the entire three song first suite, every time I'd get in the truck I'd be treated to the start of "Gardenia" again. and again. and again...

Fortunately I kind of like the senselessly repetitive. But at any rate, everyone should defintely own a copy of Blues For The Red Sun. Tell your friend to check that one out LOTD.

Oh yeah, I mentioned these guys in passing, but forgot to include them on my list, and no one else has mentioned them in their lists either.

White Zombie. One of the harder-rocking groups of the 90's. Innovative blend of metal, industrial, techno, pop and pulp sensibilities.

Plus Sean Yseult was freaking HOT.