The Top 25 Most Controversial Movies

DudeAsInCool

Entertainment weekly compiled the list - any thoughts?

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST

DIRECTED BY MEL GIBSON (2004)

THE PLOT You know the part in the Bible where Jesus gets betrayed, tortured, and crucified? That's it. That's all of it.

THE CONTROVERSY Gibson's intention — born of his deep Catholic faith — was to produce an unflinching depiction of Christ's suffering on behalf of mankind. What he succeeded at best, however, was igniting a culture-war firestorm unrivaled in Hollywood history. For months prior to its release, The Passion was both denounced and defended sight unseen amid reports that the film wasn't just brutal, but compromised by dubious biblical interpretation and anti-Semitic sentiment. Gibson refused to let concerned parties view and vet his self-financed film, even as he was giving Passion previews to Christians as part of an unprecedented church-targeting promo push. Ultimately, moviegoers pretty much got the experience they were expecting, while Gibson got a $370 million gross — plus a provocative new reputation.

Read more

Ultimately, moviegoers pretty much got the experience they were expecting, while Gibson got a $370 million gross — plus a provocative new reputation.

Kanye West looks on in stunned amazement as Mike Myers ad-libs the comment "Mel Gibson doesn't care about Jewish people".

post-3-1158469808.jpg

On a different note, since I can't get the rest of the list to come up, can anyone tell me if "Angel Heart" is on the list?

Didn't see it...Alan Parker is gifted, though (I worked with him once). Here is the link the the top of the list, moving backwards at EW

Nope. No Angel Heart.

The movie that almost ended Lisa Bonet's career when she performed a fairly graphic sex scene while portraying a teen girl.

• 1 month later...

i thought angel heart was good. one of the 200 tapes i brought w/me from nyc.

i thought angel heart was good. one of the 200 tapes i brought w/me from nyc.

Pretty strange movie - Alan Parker is a genius. He was the only director I ever saw completely rework a script in weeks, and shoot it exactly.

Speaking of strange films, watch Polanski's The Tentant - now that is really disturbing

Speaking of strange films, watch Polanski's The Tentant - now that is really disturbing

read the book when i was 15 and just knew it should've been a film and then rented it last year. i dig disturbing, morally depraved films the best--most of the rest of them bore the shit outta me.

last night i saw robert altman's 'short cuts' (totally dynamite). as well, i highly recommend 'the player' even though both of those are relatively normal.

method did you see 'irreversible?' i loved it apart from the brutal 10 minutes rape scene (shot continuously w/no editing, just a looonnnng horrifying scene). the second and third times, i fast forwarded through it.

film's kinda like 'memento' but different--irreversible is filmed backwards in time, so to speak.

ps, someone sent me lucky number slevin which i saw last night--excellent.

No foreign films, eh?

Tin Drum anyone?

Wierd, slow movie....

I loved The Tin Drum-it was Volker Schlondorf's best film. Speaking of French Films, ever see Diva, Method--it remains one of my all time favorite films?

read the book when i was 15 and just knew it should've been a film and then rented it last year. i dig disturbing, morally depraved films the best--most of the rest of them bore the shit outta me.

last night i saw robert altman's 'short cuts' (totally dynamite). as well, i highly recommend 'the player' even though both of those are relatively normal.

Altman's best films occured in the early 70s---

# Nashville (1975)

# California Split (1974)

... aka Jackpot!

# Thieves Like Us (1974)

# The Long Goodbye (1973)

# Images (1972)

# McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)

# Brewster McCloud (1970)

# MASH (1970)

Most of his stuff since then was more experimental, with the exception of Gosford Park, which was another career high...in my opinion. I liked the book "The Player'--but having worked in Hollywood in the movie industry for most of my adult life, The Player seemed like a throwback to the studios of the late 60s and 70s--it played phony for me.

rreversible was ok but the scene was awesome lol

:lol:

I've seen it. I mostly watch european movies

i've found amongst my friends here that a LOT of them are totally in love w/American films, but only the ones that show

'the seamy underside' of the American dream. weird. :lol:

ps, saw 'dogville' last night. i thought it sucked as it was shot as if it were a play onstage and had an irritating British narrator (but it did have John Hurt, whom i love). the ending was great where they kill the entire town apart from the dog, too bad the entire thing was like about 3 hours too long.

lol, i also saw 'king ralph', a film i didn't give a shit about when it came out but being here, i found hilarious now.

peter o' toole: 'have you ever been to England before?'

john goodman: 'no but i own all the Stones albums.'

peter: 'that practically makes you a native.'

john goodman after being coached on English food and being served dessert called... 'spotted dick? dick of what?'

john hurt: 'he's American, he's impervious to adjustment.' :lol::lol::lol:

Anyone see "Pi"...I thought that was pretty weird

yeah, Pi's one of my fave films. Darren Aronofsky also did 'requiem for a dream' (very disturbing, excellent)

having worked in Hollywood in the movie industry for most of my adult life

please tell us how the movie industry worked you for your childhood life or teen years or whatever. :)