Music composing software

Alex88

Could you be more specific about what kind of music you are composing and what you want the program to do? There's lots of different "good Music Software" out there.

For instance, do you need it compose/transpose or write out sheet music? Are you looking for an editor that allows you manipulate music you have already recorded? Are you creating orchestral music? Deconstructing jazz? Building a loop library?

These guys at Musicians Hit Squad have a pretty comprehensive listing if you just want to see whats out there.

I've done a lot of digital composition using Acid Music Studio and Acid Pro. They usually have free demo's to download so they are easy to check out. I haven't used the newest version (I think they are up to 6.0 or 7.0 by now) but its an easy to use interface, fast learning curve, and has lots of useful features. Other ones I had tried were not as versitile or were had cryptic interfaces and were difficult to figure out. And did pretty much what I could do with an Acid program anyway

I also used to use a 4-track cassette recorder, to make demo recordings and tape live stuff back in the day. Nowadays, Yamaha's AW Hard disk recorders allow anyone to make pretty much state-of-the-art recordings, whether your working in live or studio environments. I have a pretty good sampler, but if I were getting back into "live" (i.e. non-digital) music recording heavy duty again, I think I would start by picking up one of those.

Music Thing's blog sometimes posts various equipment. I would check out the DJ and Musician's forum - there are interviews there with various people (Mylo, etc) who discuss what they use

FlexiMusic Composer.....

Compose your own songs at home on your PC.

- Use Step Cycle and Bar Cycle to arrange your samples rhythmically and to make small music cycles of a looping melody.

- Add multiple Effects.

- Add an unlimited number of tracks to compose complete music with lyrics.

- More than 600 instrument sample sounds.

- Free for seven full days of actual use, not merely consecutive calendar days. Only $20 to buy.

nice one john..welcome to beatking...looks a lot like the freeware audio app Audacity.. :)

post-193-1155885351_thumb.jpg

Some people like Audacity... and MP3 Trimmer is a useful tool. GarageBand is actually pretty easy to use, and of course if you have the bucks, lots of producers use ProTools.

Fast mpeg audio editing and mp3 recording......mp3 DirectCut..FREEWARE.. :) :)

mp3DirectCut is a fast and extensive audio editor and recorder for MP3. You can directly cut, copy, paste or change the volume with no need to decompress your files for audio editing. This saves encoding time and preserves the original quality, because nothing will be re-encoded. The built in recorder creates MP3 "on the fly" from an audio input. Using Cue sheets, pause detection or Auto cue you can easily divide long files.

Features..

MP3 visualisation · Easy navigation · Non-destructive cut, copy, paste, fade, normalize · Pause detection · MP3 recording · Layer 2 support · ID3v1.1 support · Cue Sheet support · much more

What's new..

Visible area shown in the map view · User presets for Lame settings · Frame header bits editable · Adapting CRC checksum · Command line option for pause detection · Keeping and showing Encoder ID · Less Fast Play levels, showing current level · Less false re-syncs, possible re-sync hang fixed · low bitrates of 8 and 16 kpbs supported · Some more fixings and changes

System requirements..

200 MHz · Windows (9x/NT/2K/XP), Linux (with Wine) · MP3 ACM codec (present in XP) or mpglib.dll · For MP3 recording: ACM or Lame encoder DLL

mpglib.dll..

Decoding library for MPEG Layer III and Layer II. Required for cutting MP2 or if your system has no ACM for MP3 (XP does). Binary + source, Version 0.92, 2001-11-19 (58 KB). Distributed under LGPL, see 'readme.txt'.

..this dude makes a great little mp3 directory player called 1by1 as well... :thumbsup:

http://www.mpesch3.de/

post-193-1155949098_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...