DJ Mag Top 100 Predictions – 2019

NelsonG

It’s that time of year again. Yes, that time. One of the most controversial award ceremonies in music is coming up… the DJ Mag Top 100. Every year we try to take an educated guess at who will be in the Top 10 of the Top 100 list, and this year is no different. Official results are announcing this week on the 19th, but in the meantime enjoy our speculation at who will come out on top given the past year of music and touring.

For reference, here is the DJ Mag Top 100 for 2018.

This year, I’m predicting the biggest change of all: a dethroning of Martin Garrix from the coveted #1 spot. The primary reason I am nearly certain this will happen is the new interview that Garrix just conducted questioning the validity of the entire list. The major DJs involved in this program are undoubtedly made aware of their ranking at least a week in advance of the award show, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Martijn came out with his most strongly opined interview halfway-condemning the Top 100 so soon before it is being announced.

In his stead, I suspect Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike will reclaim their #1 spot. I believe this to be the case as Tomorrowland has done a stellar job at encouraging its attendees to vote for their biggest artist management clients, and with this being the first year of Tomorrowland Winter, it’s no doubt they accrued more votes than before. Also, Martin Garrix has had a less stellar year in comparison to years past. Not to say he hasn’t released some quality new music – my personal favorite being his collab with Macklemore and Fall Out Boy, “Summer Days.” DVLM, on the other hand, have launched their own eSports organization, appeared in the new Mortal Kombat game, collaborated with Paris Hilton and even gotten into acting. Not to mention, they actually campaign for votes unlike the young Dutchman Martin Garrix.

Aside from the #1 change, I foresee David Guetta moving to #3 as he continues to make waves despite the impressive length of his DJ career. He was just crowned #1 on the 1001tracklists Top 101 Producers, as well, so there’s precedent. I think Armin van Buuren will stay at #4, as he has presented himself as the absolute definition of consistency. From there, I believe Don Diablo will continue to rise among the ranks and reach #5 as he has simply redefined the game when it comes to embracing his brand and marketing it to the masses.

Tiësto will no doubt find himself in the Top 10, but I can see him falling a spot to #6 to some of the artists putting in more work this year as he has been recently preoccupied with his wedding. I expect Marshmello to gain a few spots, even though a large amount of his audience probably doesn’t care about DJ Mag. I have him at #7 for this reason, but it would be unsurprising if he landed as high as #3.

Below them, I have Steve Aoki at #8, as he remains one of the hardest touring DJs in the world. The Chainsmokers at #9, as they continue to tour world arenas and release radio hit after radio hit. And, last but not least, I have placed Skrillex at #10 for making his return to the EDM arena this year and working on multiple international collabs where fans are more likely to be casting DJ Mag votes.

These are all simply my guesses, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on who should be in the Top 10 this year. Will Illenium make a meteoric rise to the Top 10? I’d love to see it – but don’t get your hopes up.

1) Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike
2) Martin Garrix
3) David Guetta
4) Armin van Buuren
5) Don Diablo
6) Tiësto
7) Marshmello
8) Steve Aoki
9) The Chainsmokers
10) Skrillex

Photo via Rukes.com

This article was first published on Your EDM. Source: DJ Mag Top 100 Predictions – 2019

View the full article