Defragging XP

MxRob

Never heard that one before...

Defrag deprivation must be hard to cope with. What else would you do with the time spent watching all those little coloured boxes move around?

Defrag it anyway... think of the pleasure.

I don't understand what you mean. Ntfs needs defragment too

I agree it needs to be defragged, but I had heard somewhere that XP didn't need to be. I run it myself on XP home all the time. I didn't think about the question before I posted it

My buds question was really regarding the item circled " Free up space on your hard drive".

Thx to all that replied.

Peace

post-88-1077771651_thumb.jpg

Disk clean up removes all the temporary crap (like temp files, internet cache, history, etc. etc.) from your hard drive. If you dont clear those out on a regular basis it can start to take up more space than is really necessary and XP pops up a helpful little bubble when your hard drive is too full asking if you want to run disk clean up. When you defrag.... if you haven't cleaned up first.... you are also defragging all those unnecessary files too... so it takes longer!!

Norton back up files also take up a lot of space if you use Norton Protected Recycle bin that is. It backs up all the files you delete just in case you really didnt want to delete them even after you empty the bin. Disk Clean up wont empty these files. This facility is a bit over the top IMHO and you can turn the service off in Norton options if you dont need it. You can clear these back up files by right clicking on the recycle bin icon on your desktop, selecting 'Empty Norton Protected Files' and purging all.

if you use RegCleaner and delete all the useless files you're ok. Also make sure the System is ok and empty the System Restore files. That takes most of the space in XP. All those tools that windows uses are useless. Use something like System Mechanic and it does the work for you.