Canada plot suspect accused of plan to behead PM

KiwiCoromandel

One member of an alleged al Qaeda-inspired terror ring arrested in Canada last weekend faces the accusation that he sought to behead Prime Minister Stephen Harper, his lawyer said.

The man, Steven Chand, 25, was among 15 members of the alleged ring who appeared in a heavily guarded courtroom northwest of Toronto on Tuesday to set dates for bail hearings.

"There's an allegation apparently that my client personally indicated that he wanted to behead the prime minister of Canada," Chand's lawyer, Gary Batasar, told reporters.

more.......

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3693168a12,00.html

I think about beheading Blair all the time - doesn't mean that I have the means or real motivation to do it. Talk about a thought crime!

I hear that the bombers they foiled didn't have access to any bomb making materials until the police sold it to them as part of the investigation?

Star article about the case:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...l/TerrorArrests

Key quote:

There may indeed have been a terrorist conspiracy that involved what the RCMP assistant commissioner Mike McDonell yesterday referred to as "training areas," where militants tramped about in big boots, cooked on outdoor barbecues, built bombs and used a wooden door for target practice.

That's the implication from the evidence shown to reporters yesterday: five pairs of boots in camouflage drab, six flashlights, one set of walkie-talkies, one voltmeter, one knife, eight D-cell batteries, a cellphone, a circuit board, a computer hard drive, one barbecue grill, one set of tongs suitable for turning hot dogs, a wooden door with 21 marks on it and a 9-mm handgun.

Or it is possible that the only thing that these bits of evidence prove is that a group of young men went somewhere where they tramped around in big boots, cooked on barbecues, played soldier and generally acted like jerks — which young men are occasionally wont to do.

This relates to another thread I started a few days ago about why the recent raids in London were doomed from the start, now admitted by police as a mistake:

http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21214

Let's keep looking for that phantom enemy anyway. As the Met police in London put it, we had all better get used to doors getting knocked down in the middle of the night if we want security - and that wont change just because they shoot a few innocent people, or lock away law abiding citizens in maximum security prisons for weeks or even months.

Star article about the case:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...l/TerrorArrests

Key quote:

This relates to another thread I started a few days ago about why the recent raids in London were doomed from the start, now admitted by police as a mistake:

http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21214

Let's keep looking for that phantom enemy anyway. As the Met police in London put it, we had all better get used to doors getting knocked down in the middle of the night if we want security - and that wont change just because they shoot a few innocent people, or lock away law abiding citizens in maximum security prisons for weeks or even months.

this all makes me sick

I think you're going too far the wrong way guys. Do you know how much shit 3 tonnes of fertilizer could blow up? Seriously. That's why the government has been tracking anyone purchasing it for over a decade.

I don't care that they guy who was selling to them was an RCMP agent, they wanted to purchase it.

Lastly, I assume you noticed they are all having bail hearings set up for the near future.

It isn't the wrong way Shawn, it is the other way.

My intention isn't to say that this case is right or wrong, but to come from the other angle.

This case will be used time and again by tyrannous governments in the West to justify all sorts of actions. If we don't get the story straight, how long before they are beinig cited as a sleeper cell part of al- Queada, waiting to pounce at a moments notice? It is already being used to justify wiretapping and watching your surfing habits.

It isn't exactly the first time evidence has been found to be faulty!

I hear that the bombers they foiled didn't have access to any bomb making materials until the police sold it to them as part of the investigation?

They wanted (and succeeded) in acquiring "3 tons" of fertilizer, for obvious reasons. I've seen what 1 ton did in Oklahoma City.

I don't see the point of your reply. Do you doubt their tenacity or sincerity in building a bomb? They bought the shit didn't they (they didn't know they were undercover operatives)? They sure as hell aren’t maniacal gardeners hell bent on growing the biggest tomato in history.

This case will be used time and again by tyrannous governments in the West to justify all sorts of actions.

Of course it will (sadly), but you can't excuse or put your self in denial about what happened here. This was a terrorist cell. Terrorism is real you know.

They only thing that can be done is an appeal for a balance between freedom and security. I understand what you're saying, but the approach and responses of many in this thread seem to be about turning a blind eye to the ability and drive of fanaticism, because of a fear of their own governments over zealous response and ability to capitalize on the fear of its citizens. The problem is, sometimes we need our government to provide security.

It seems like lose-lose, and often is, but never go out of your way to disregard fanaticism or look for ways that this could "all just be some sort of misunderstanding or government propaganda plot".

Initial media reporting looks grim and disappointing.

We'll see all the evidence in detail soon, and not just snippets.

What makes me upset is it seems they wanted to attack Canadian soil. The Canadian populace is the most open and accepting I've ever seen (I've been there). They take in all sorts of immigrants, and the government isn't imperialistic at all. They aren't involved in the Iraqi conflict, and are in a supporting role in at least stabilizing Afghanistan (they aren't launching offensives to my knowledge).

There isn’t even a retarded and religious/philosophical justification (like they make for attacking U.S. soil and its citizens).

They wanted (and succeeded) in acquiring "3 tons" of fertilizer, for obvious reasons. I've seen what 1 ton did in Oklahoma City

Two different issues here. The first is definitely entrapment--

The second--were they actively seeking this stuff? If so, they should be locked up. But if they were encouraged or led on to seek it, then it's another story.

I would need to know more before making a judgment

It's only entrapment if the agents suggested they buy fertilizer to make bombs. If they simply said "we can get you whatever your group needs" and they wanted bomb material, that isn't entrapment.

It isn't the wrong way Shawn, it is the other way.

You're right, I used the wrong word.