Favorite Book

DudeAsInCool

I've been trolling the web tonight and I came across this page while doing some research...and it was basically a group of people listing their favorite books.

Source

Well, mine was on it, and here it is...

The Master and Margarita - By Mikhail Bulgakov - considered my many to be the best nonfiction book out of Russia in the 20th Century. For pop culture lovers, it's also what inspired Jagger-Richard's 'Sympathy for a Devil'. And as the title suggests, the main character is Lucifer who comes to communist Russia to lay havoc on the bureaucrats, and to the aid of a poet who simply wants to tell the truth about the events leading up to Jesus's crucifixtion in a country where Jesus and the Devil are not supposed to exist--well, the Devil ain't having such nonsense, and heads roll, literally. I am particularly fond of his black cat sidekick, who carries a browning automatic, and the beautiful Margarita, who flies on a broomstick to Satan's Ball, and with the helpf of Lucifer, is ultimately reunites with her. While communist Russia is dead, this magical novel soars like few others. Check it out - there are several translations in English, and I prefer the Mira Ginzburg one.

Incidentally, Bulgakov amused Stalin, othewise he might otherwise have been executed in the 30s for his insubordination. After his first draft burned, he dictated the final version to his wife while he was blind.

Get it

If you like this, you will also like Bulgakov's sendup of modern science 'The Heart of a Dog', in which a scientist transplants the brains and testacles of a dog with a modern criminal :lol:

Ok, so what is your favorite book, and what's it about?

post-9-1148719865_thumb.jpg

"the grapes of wrath"...john steinbeck..you all know what it`s about..social inequality and economic hard times..in america.....great book from a great (but flawed) american author.... :)

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Steinbeck/grapes.html

post-193-1148719647.gif

'Gates Of Fire' by Steven Pressfield

Nothing to do with me being Greek. By far the best novel I have read.

I am no big novel fan. I prefer history, geography and fact books about cultures but my brother recommended this and I couldn't stop reading it.

Link

• 2 weeks later...