• No
    • Maybe
    • I Dont Know

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that took you a while for a pretty short answer. close this topic

lol. we have a number of metal experts on hiatus. they will eventually respond... :scratchin:

I'll shout an answer.

And an explanation.

But this question cannot be accurately answered. It is one's opinion whether or not Nu-metal is dead. See...so, back in the day is actually today IMO.

As far as closing this thread, we can leave that up to baghdad_steve15, a mod or admin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I beg to differ. Current bands such as Shadows Fall, In Flames, Mastodon, Lamb of God, Seemless, Killswitch Engage, God Forbid, Trivium, Dimmu Borgir, Strapping Yound Lad, Dark Tranquility, and Nightwish are just some of the bands that are keeping the genre alive and well. Deftones has pretty much receded back in submission as there has been nothing stellar from them since White Pony.

I don't know exactly how a band is defined as "Nu Metal", but from the cited examples I've seen, well, it looks like a class of no-talent shit eaters to me.

Too one-soundish, not really creative, and the writing is pretty poor.

Getting away with Murder.....

One mans` view of nu-metal......opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management!!..... :o :)

Like any other music, metal is constantly changing and using influences from other genres to facilitate this process. It happened in the 80's when N.W.O.B.*.M (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) fused the metal of the 70's (most prominently Black Sabbath) with punk sounds to get bands like Iron Maiden and early Slayer. It happened again in the early 90's when bands like Pantera ditched their high pitched wailings and tight pants, went to a couple death metal shows and developed into what we know today as thrash/speed. UNfortunately its happening again, only this time thrash/speed is being fused with rap - gaining turntables and losing solos. This being said, Nu metal blows, and really isn't metal at all. Just because a genre is formed by mixing metal with something else doesnt mean it necessarily follows that the newly formed genre must be metal. Take Metallica. Somewhere after justice for all, Lars and co decided to blend heavy metal with pop, the result being load, reload, etc. Would anyone seriously consider calling these albums metal if the band who produced it wasn't metalica? Obviously not. How can we tell then, if a new musical mixture that uses metal as an influence is indeed metal or if it is something else altogether. That is the heart of the issue as I see it. I would submit that the best way to decide is to go ahead and recognize the existing genres that are in direct opposition to metal (ie. the one's we're always making fun of, looking down upon, etc) and realize that any blend of metal and these genres must by definition cease to be heavy metal. As far as I can tell rap has ALWAYS been first on the list of undesirables for any true metalhead, rivaled maybe only by pop (although this new shit heralded by the Vines or whoever they are is a serious contender!) After the obvious blends have been eliminated it boils down to a subjective opinion of general attitude/philosophy; whether or not the attitudes associated with the mixing genre correspond with the attitudes of metal. I'll leave you with a short example: Punk's "who gives a fuck" attitude meshed real well with 80's metal's "fuck you" attitude, in much the same way that death metal's "I fucking hate you" also corresponds. On the other hand, pop's "Fuck is a bad word" attitude and rap's "Fuckin' forty inch rims" ...well you get the picture.

Metal is a release from the same old songs that winge on about the same thing that has been written a thousand times before and preformed by talentless pansies who couldn't EVEN write their own shite! pop/dance, rnb/rap all the same shit! just recycled passionless, meaningless music. With nu-metal it might not always be good music but its real music, Unbelieveably its written by the performers! Is it wrong to feel something when you listen to music! Keep your moronic opinions to yourself and i'll keep mine! you emotional brain-dead cripples!!!

Nu-metal is cheap. Rock musicians have allways made efforts to be innovative even within their own genres. Is Nu-metal innovative? No! It's easy! Like punk was, but punk was innovative in the 70s... King Crimson was more of a new millenium innovative band in the late 60s then Nu-metal will ever be!!! But what I hate most is their image! We're so tough! yeah! (Have you ever even heard of Emperor or Mayhem (if you want to discuss some crazy shit?!) Stevie Wonder shows more Balls in his music then Fred Durst ever will! Besides, Alternative my ass! ! ! Nu-metal... pigfood!

What does the 'NU' in Nu-metal stand for? Naughty underwear? New ulcer? Not unique? Nacho universe? Anyway, the music sucks, but the good thing is, that it might be a stepping stone for some! Due to it's lack of inventivity this music actually reaches the charts! And millions of people that would have never appreciated the sound of an electric guitar in overdrive are listening to it! Eventually, some of them will walk into a music store and buy an early 80' metallica album or something by My dying bride or Paradise lost... or whatever classic band you like! Nu metal as music stinks, but it opens doors to higher levels!!! but that's the only credit they get... They have the worst rappers and the worst metallers thrown together, I wonder why dr. Dre recorded a song with those monkeys from limp bizkit? Well he made a lot of cash...

I can describe nu-metal. It's a pile of shit and waste of electricity for all of us environmentally conscious yet music loving Americans (Notice I don't even consider the term nu-metal worth the respect of a proper capitalization). We don`t want to hear our airwaves and energy watts wasted on your trendy hipster "im in style, get with the program" shit. You claim to speak out against trends yet speaking out against supposed "trends" has become a trend in itself and you're totally contradicting yourselves. I'm sick of people saying "Well yeah, I'm a headbanger but some of that new stuff is cool". Make up your fucking minds and decide for yourself what is good and stop following trends that MTV shoves down your throat and calls nu-metal...

-----------------------------------------------------------

NU-METAL

" As nu here is the common pop-music respelling of new, the term pretty much explains itself its a revitalised form of the heavy metal musical genre of the seventies and eighties, a style of loud, vigorous and often harsh-sounding rock music that was linked to an intense and spectacular performing style. Metal drifted out of fashion in the nineties, though it never went away completely.

The nu-metal format is most closely associated with bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, the Deftones, Amen and Papa Roach, and the genre is often linked to the American music producer Ross Robinson, often called the guru of nu-metal. The performing style is still as heavily amplified and intense as ever; nu-metal gigs were described recently by Nicholas Barber in the Independent on Sunday as being costumed, pyrotechnic riots of blood, sweat and earth-shaking volume, though he also complained that the lyrics were self-pitying and peevish. " :o

-----------------------------------------------------------

Nu metal (or aggro metal) is a subgenre of heavy metal music. It typically combines aggressive, hip hop influenced, angst-ridden vocals, samples, rap-style beats and drum set patterns, and/or DJ techniques.

The genre is occasionally called "nü-metal," using the traditional heavy metal umlaut.

Definition

Beyond the pronounced hip-hop influence, nu metal has--like most forms of heavy metal music--proven somewhat difficult to define. Some fans and musicians have a firm concept of genre and subgenre, but others reject such categorization as unnecessary, limiting or useless. There is often significant crossover from one category to another, and often the influence of non-metal music.

Some heavy metal fans do not consider nu metal a form of heavy metal music at all, arguing the genre is too diluted from what they consider "true" heavy metal, further noting that nu metal guitarists typically forgo traditional metal guitar technique, including both soloing and the riff style most associated with the older styles of metal. Other heavy metal fans, however, reject these arguments, citing rock music's long history of incorporating disparate elements--including jazz, experimental music and world music--out of curiosity or genuine appreciation for other musical genres. The rise of nu metal has caused severe divisions and became the source of much postering among heavy metal fans.

While Deftones and Korn are typically cited as the genre's instigators, bands like Fishbone, Body Count, Urban Dance Squad, Suicidal Tendencies, Faith No More, Onyx, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Cubanate are cited as progenitors. Some fans have noted the influence of even earlier artists, such as Prong and Tool. Producer Ross Robinson was labelled by some as "The Godfather of Nu-Metal" due his producing of several notable Nu-Metal albums.

The stage acts and video clips of some of the more commercially successful of these groups owe much to some of metal's more pompous traditions, without much of the menace that such stylings used to represent. This fact, combined with the commercialization of nu-metal music, means that the style is often derided by other metal fans.

Some bands have been mistakenly called Nu Metal, such as Godsmack, Sevendust, Fear Factory, Soulfly, Pantera, Incubus, Spineshank, Tool, Staind, Finger Eleven, Cold, Nickelback, Creed, Killswitch Engage and Ill Niño. All these bands are in different genres.

Backlash

By the late 1990s, there was, from some music fans, mostly fans of more traditional metal, a significant backlash against nu metal, charging that many associated perfomers were uninspired or derivative. This caused some bands such as the Deftones, who were among the first of the genre, to distance themselves from the term.

The derisive term aluminium has been used by some to describe the genre, since they consider it less "hard" than "true" metal and largely "recycled" from other material.

Style

Vocals

In the 1990s, many bands began to mix rapping and other new techniques with traditional heavy metal guitar and drum sounds. As a result, fans and music journalists needed to differentiate between the more traditional heavy metal music and this "new breed" of bands who were using samples, DJs, raps and drum machines in a way that made their music distinct. "New metal" evolved into the trendier spelling "nu metal," and a genre was vaguely defined.

Nevertheless, some distinction is usually maintained between rap metal, rapcore and nu metal. Rap metal is normally considered to be metal with primarily rap vocals -- with a minimum of other styles. Rapcore and nu metal are basically the same thing: distorted guitars and drums with rap influenced vocals. This means that it can sound somewhat like traditional metal vocals, with a varying amount of rap -- some bands more than others.

Nu-metal vocals can include rapping, clean singing, hardcore-like barking, and various forms of screaming, sometimes all in the same song. Not all bands are inspired by hip-hop, however: Slipknot utilizes rhythmic vocal techniques very similar to that of Glen Benton from Deicide in his earlier days.

Guitar

While traditional heavy metal was very much guitar-based, with intricate guitar solos and complex riffs forming an important part of most songs, nu metal generally emphasizes the guitar as a rhythmic instrument. The riffs often consist of only a few different notes or power chords played in rhythmic, syncopated patterns. To emphasize this rhythmic "pulse," nu metal guitarists generally make liberal use of palm muting, a technique which itself blurs the boundary between melodic note and rhythmic attack. Another common tactic is the use of de-tuned strings (in drop-D or lower, sometimes adding a seventh string) whose lower pitch creates a thicker, more resonant sound (the late Dimebag Darryll Abbott of Pantera fame is credited with developing and refining this technique). Every track on Helmet's Meantime album illustrates choice examples of heavy, staccato riffs at a blistering tempo. Finally, many nu metal guitarists seem to be fond of natural harmonics. The opening riff of Linkin Park's "One Step Closer" is another representative example of many of the above techniques. A few nu metal bands have done some guitar solos.

Bass

Traditionally, metal bass lines tend to be quite simple, often following the root note of the guitar riff. (There have been a few notable exceptions, such as Cliff Burton of Metallica and Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, whose bass lines tended to be much more complicated, and in general the complexity of bass part varies with the style of each given band.) In nu metal, however, bassists tend to use more complex lines, often influenced by jazz. Limp Bizkit's Sam Rivers, for example, comes from a jazz background, as does their drummer, John Otto. Another notable bass influence is funk. This is best shown with the bassist for the band Mudvayne, Ryan "Ryknow" Martinie.....

Drums

Nu-metal drumming is often influenced by the complex breakbeats of hip-hop. In fact, many notable nu-metal bands feature a DJ who provides sampled "beats" and other effects. The most famous of these are DJ Lethal of Limp Bizkit and Joe Hahn of Linkin Park. Linkin Park could be considered rapcore or nu-metal, and often jumps between. As a reference for genre classification; if the band uses drum machines, DJ's or Sampled beats it usually is nu-metal, as opposed to rapcore......

post-6-1111788190.gif

• 4 months later...

Have to say, nu-metal never ever EVER impressed me even in the slightest. The fusion of rap and metal (unlike stuff bands like Anthrax was doing when most nu-metaler's were still in diapers) in the form of nu-metal does not qualify as metal, in my book.

Metal itself, since its birth in the early 70's (I place it with Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality LP) in all its diverse sub-genres (great post kiwibank, btw) has always attracted a lot of talented outstanding performers, many of whom have been listed already in this thread, and the genre is showing no signs of demise so far as I can see.

nu-metal, on the hand, seems to be going down the same road of past vapid trendy musical genres.

and if i never heard another example of it it wouldn't be long enough.

Has downset stayed consistent with the style of their first release? It's the only one I own and have heard. I think they've been around long enough to not qualify as Nu-metal. As for being Metal, I think i saw them with Pantera or somebody in Germany.

Edit - Found it.

downset + The Almighty + Pantera

7.Oktober 1994 - Fürth - Stadthalle

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Has the world grown tired of the metal known as Nu? Have bands like Slipknot, Korn, Coal Chamber, etc, tired us to death with their equivelant messege and sound?

I think yes, although I still like some Nu Metal jewels like Orgy and Static X.

PS. This site rules.

Depends on what you class as 'nu metal' because, limp bizcuit (or whatever) was once classed as 'nu metal' but now it seems like bands like Slipknot and such are the new bands to fill the genre.

p.s no need to be rude or anything, but Static X are more or less, Alternative/rock.

Wonder what happened to Baghdad_steve15?

Probably got married, got a house with a picket fence, a volvo and and is raising kids :) We should email him and ask wassup

Probably got married, got a house with a picket fence, a volvo and and is raising kids :) We should email him and ask wassup

haha yeah, living in mexico somewhere with a fake name and new id. :happy:

• 2 months later...

Nu-metal fucking sucks. I've even come from a hip hop background, now I'm into Hardcore/Metalcore type shit, and I've always fucking hated Nu-metal. I didn't even use it as a crossover between the genres.

Yeah.. still pretty much the same. Kind of a scream/rap. But at times he hits with some rhymes that would send a lot of rapper's running (especially sissy ass P. Diddy). Wish I could catch them in concert... would probably be small venue too, which would rock.

It would actually be better if you named someone who could rap and who writes their own rhymes. Dork.