An Inconvenient Truth

DudeAsInCool

The blogger at Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands sums up my feelings exactly -

"I plan to see this film when it opens next weekend, and hopefully you do too. It's hard to imagine a more important movie out there right now. This isn't about politics or politicians, this is about our world, about what is important to us and what we choose to pass on to our children and their children. It's never too late to live differently..."

Director Davis Guggenheim eloquently weaves the science of global warming with Mr. Gore's personal history and lifelong commitment to reversing the effects of global climate change. A longtime advocate for the environment, Gore presents a wide array of facts and information in a thoughtful and compelling way. "Al Gore strips his presentations of politics, laying out the facts for the audience to draw their own conclusions in a charming, funny and engaging style, and by the end has everyone on the edge of their seats, gripped by his haunting message," said Guggenheim. An Inconvenient Truth is not a story of despair but rather a rallying cry to protect the one earth we all share. "It is now clear that we face a deepening global climate crisis that requires us to act boldly, quickly, and wisely," said Gore. (from official site)

Source

See the trailer:

Source

post-9-1148531989_thumb.jpg

Sounds interesting even though I doubt it'll be effective in waking up people and governments. Couple more Katrina size disasters along with firing the majority of government bitch scientists in NOAA might be good start.

:glare:

• 4 weeks later...

Saw the movie today. Very entertaining - very alarming, too. The movie is about Gore's 30 year quest to bring the issue forward, which he learned about in his college classroom, and make an impact. Gore has done a thousand speeches on the subject, so his delivery is polished, fun and informative - not easy to do when you are presenting a lot of scientific data. The information was convincing - since 1970, the earth's temperature has been increasing almost identically to the rise of CO2 emissions - and drastic weather changes that have resulted in typhoons, hurricanes like Katrinia, and a dramatic rise in ice-cap melting. Gore makes a passionate pitch to all of us to change our way of living before a bigger catastrophe occurs, e.g. should Greenland melt, it could spin Europe in to an ice age in 10 years or less. The film's end credits attempts to spur the viewer in to action and gives a series of things one can do - 1) buy environmentally friendly cars 2) use public transportation more often 3) use energy saving light bulbs 4) insulate your home 5) write your congressman, and if all else fails, run for office yourself.

It all sounds well but would he do all that if he won the presidency?

He's been fighting this battle since he was a congressman - he certainly would do his best. And the forces of evil are certainly formidable. This is why he made the film and is going out in the heartland to make it a people crusade.

You have a lot of power as President - but it's not absolute - Bush got by up until recently because he had a Republican Congress in his pocket...and because he tried to expand the powers of the President...as you will shortly see, his office is about to weaken

• 2 weeks later...
I am not sure global warming and hurricanes are connected.

See the movie - your opinion might change...

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Al Gore's film about global warming. It is personal and convincing. Gore sees the burning of fossil fuels as increasing the amount of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere. As a result, the atmosphere is retaining more of the sun's heat. Temperature is rising. Glaciers are receding. Polar caps are melting. Ocean water is warming and driving hurricanes. Gore links Katrina to global warming. He compares his warning to that of the Nazi threat before World War II and to the warning of the effects of smoking. He invokes Carl Sagan's pale blue dot as an image of the smallness of our planet and its vulnerability. Man has become a force of nature with the capacity for implementing destructive climate changes unless he alters old habits.

I am sympathetic to Al Gore's cause, At the same time, there is another inconvenient truth. This is the truth of 9/11 and the fact that we are better off with a Republican government as long as there are Muslim extremists whose goal it is to destroy the United States. These fanatics do not differentitate between our political parties. They would kill us all. George W. Bush has defended and continues to defend America. If Bin Laden and al Qaeda have such little regard for human life, they are certainly impervious to the effects of global warming.

I am sympathetic to Al Gore's cause, At the same time, there is another inconvenient truth. This is the truth of 9/11 and the fact that we are better off with a Republican government as long as there are Muslim extremists whose goal it is to destroy the United States. These fanatics do not differentitate between our political parties. They would kill us all. George W. Bush has defended and continues to defend America. If Bin Laden and al Qaeda have such little regard for human life, they are certainly impervious to the effects of global warming.

It's an interesting analysis, but I don't see how the two are tied together, and further, rather than strenthening our defense, I think Bush and the Republicans have stretched our forces to the core and made us weaker--and don't even get me started on how damaging they have been to us in terms of public opinion around the world.

I will give Bush this credit however - it's true we haven't been attacked since - but I credit our military more than Bush for that, and...any suggestion that a Democrat couldn't defend our security has no real basis in fact.

Perhaps Global Warming, Al-Qaeda and C. Montgomery Burns could all team up to create a super-villians club.

Team America: World Police to the rescue!

You forgot SuperCondiWoman :lol:

Perhaps Global Warming, Al-Qaeda and C. Montgomery Burns could all team up to create a super-villians club.

Team America: World Police to the rescue!

:lol::lol::lol:

yet dead serious...

"If Bin Laden and al Qaeda have such little regard for human life, they are certainly impervious to the effects of global warming."

sorry jim....that old dog won`t hunt...in that little phrase you are implying that bush does care about those things.....that`s just simplistic nonsense..... :)

• 1 month later...

Finally saw it yesterday. Enviromental Law prof got us an 8:30 am showing. It was free at least.

I have profoundly more respect for the man now. Even more than I gained watching him hang himself picking a Jewish running mate.