So many members

Umma

It's a shame that for the number of registrants on Beatking that it's the same old names that are continually providing the posting material. This post is in no way getting at those who diligently post interesting topics day in day out, but at those of you who have registered, who have an obvious interest in what this forum is about, but as yet have not felt the need to come out of the shadows and express your opinion on a regular basis.

Granted, sometimes it's difficult to get the right frame of mind and actually string a coherent and readable sentence together, but hey... it would be nice to see some feedback to the efforts that are being made here. The whole idea in a forum is to give you an avenue to express what you think, whether anyone agrees with you or not is irrelevant. In fact, it's probably more interesting if opinions differ in some way and a new perspective is given.

So go on.... post it :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's the same old names that are continually providing the posting material.

i can't find the source now but have read there's a very vocal 10% (or so) in most online forums (i know that's very true for my own). but i could be wrong, it happens occasionally. :lol:

i can't find the source now but have read there's a very vocal 10% (or so) in most online forums (i know that's very true for my own). but i could be wrong, it happens occasionally. :lol:

That sounds about right slum goddess.

Tis a shame really that more people dont participate. I'm sure everyone has opinions about the various postings, so in theory everybody has something to contribute.

I'm sticking with the typing theory... while they may have something to add... the thought of having to do all that typing is just too daunting.

Slow typists welcome

Bad speelers welcome too :)

(I am both of these ...so keep me company)

• 1 month later...

This thread in itself has proved your point Umma.

With the exception of this (my) post, all your other replies are from the more regular members.

Just something I found to be quite amusing as I was reading through it.

I think though, that whilst the base of members is increasing I'm sure there's no cause to worry too much - at least while new members are joing there's a chance that a few more will post.

You are absolutely right Stuzb... there's no need to worry. :)

It's been great to see the influx of new members recently (yourself included) who are happy to contribute. My intent with this thread was moreso to try and encourage those who are registered but yet to say boo! It would be nice to hear something from them occasionally too.

Why register if you aren't going to post anything? Seems daft to me!!

I think it's pretty normal for forums to have a small percentage of members who do the majority of the posting. A lot of people want to feel like they're part of a group even though they're not very vocal in their beliefs. I've done the same thing elsewhere.

And nobody types any slower than me!

Edited by Kooperman

That's probably very true Koop... people do like to feel like they belong to a group, and it's great that they've picked BeatKing :)

I remember having this conversation on ZP sometime within the last six months, and someone threw that same statistic out. I won't dredge up the nonsense that accompanied the rest of that old thread, but I think that's probably true of most internet forums, and probably a lot of other situtations in life. Just think back to school, 30 kids in a class, 3 talked all the time, 1 or 2 might add something once in a while and the rest sat there and listened or at least gave a reasonable impression of people listening, amused by the antics and reparte of the idiots who spoke out all the time...you'll never guess which group I was in, lol.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...

My problem is not only do I speel poorley and type s l o w l y, my brain is locked up. By the time I come up with something to say and type it out......everybody else is on a different topic. What the heck is this thread about anyway?? I guess I'll have to scroll back and see..... hold on............

With the exception of this (my) post, all your other replies are from the more regular members.

i was pretty new when i posted about the vocal 10%; i think that was my first or second post.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...

nah, good advice like that never stopped me. :lol:

Its fine. We get alot of traffic from people who arent members. Im pleased they dropped by...and I know they will come back again and again. If they join us great...if not, at least we've shared something fun, or some info with them. So if you're reading this, non-members, we hope you enjoy your stay at Beatking :)