jefferson airplane

janett999

Rickio mentions one of my favorite hippie lifestyle songs, Triad, but he credits it to the wrong songwriter. David Crosby wrote the song, which he wanted to record with The Byrds, but it was too controversial for them and they weren't happy with it. Crosby was so pissed he left the group. Jefferson Airplane covered the song and made it famous.

http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/introjs.h...gfile/TRIAD.HTM

http://www.vghf.com/Inductees/crosby_stills_nash.htm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Jefferson Airplane versions better than the Great Society but that is possibly because I grew up listening to it and only recently heard the Great Society version. It certainly was a ground breaking sound. A true classic.

• 4 months later...

We have a video tape of the first rock concert in Monterey.

It includes White Rabbit and Today*

It is sad that the recording qality of some artist is not quite well. At those days they did not have have the technical possibilities we have now.

My husband always prommisses me he will play 'Today' at my funeral...... :kissy face:

My husband always prommisses me he will play 'Today' at my funeral......  :kissy face:

The version of Surrealistic Pillow is quite nice. Isnt there an updated DVD available on the first Monterrey Pop Festival?

I like the song 'White Rabbit....thats a cool song...

While I was attending the Art Institute of Houston back in '95,'96, we had a video crew that tape something called PARTY ON THE PLAZA. It took place in the theater district every thursday in the summer (we didn't tape every show). We did tape Ironbutterfly, and they played that song "In a Garden of Eden" or whatever it is called.....anyway, I was working one of the camers set up in the crowd on a platform, they ended with that song, and I thought it WAS NEVER GOING TO END!!!!!!!!! I just set my camera on the guy playing keyboards at just stood there.

• 3 months later...
they found his corpse in a van in the woods in south america , i think, somewhere with a rainforest. he called some people and said forces were after him, that he was scared for his life. he had some of his physicist stuff with him and they never recovered it. ccccrazy eh?

It wasnt S America, it was the los angeles forest

Dude!! You are VERY thorough! Your reply was to a post that is almost 15 months old. :good job:

I'm sure that IO Pan has been sitting by the computer since October 2003 waiting for that clarification from the Spammer Deluxe. He serves all who stand and wait. I'll take fries with mine, Dude.

I'm sure that IO Pan has been sitting by the computer since October 2003 waiting for that clarification from the Spammer Deluxe. He serves all who stand and wait. I'll take fries with mine, Dude.

No cheese? :lol:

• 1 year later...

You can find some of the early Airplane Concerts here...

Click Me

Here is a list of all their albums and album covers

Airplane Library

Here is the official website - lots of archival photos as well as streaming player of their most notable hits--I'm listening to Volunteers of America and White Rabbit as I type of this :)

The Jefferson Airplane Website

post-9-1143011884.jpg

• 1 year later...

Nice clip.

I have a 28 meg video clip of the same song supposedly a VH1 clip off of the Ed Sullivan Show. I see nothing to indicate that it is from Ed Sullivan but it's a nice clip none the less.

Grace Slick ROCKS!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I met Matthew Katz today, who was the founding Manager of The Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape and It's A Beautiful Day,. He also worked with Big Brother and the Holding Co, Country Joe and the Fish and others in the San Franciso scene in the 60s. Very interesting man. He's mentioned in this Hippie - a book on the sixties.

post-9-1220944514_thumb.jpg

I met Matthew Katz today, who was the founding Manager of The Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape and It's A Beautiful Day,. He also worked with Big Brother and the Holding Co, Country Joe and the Fish and others in the San Franciso scene in the 60s. Very interesting man. He's mentioned in this Hippie - a book on the sixties.

Matthew Katz is a villainous name in the San Francisco rock era. Ask John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater revival about him sometime...or ask David LaFlamme of It's A Beautiful Day how Katz affected his career.

http://www.bluoz.com/iabd/napster.html

Matthew Katz is a villainous name in the San Francisco rock era. Ask John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater revival about him sometime...or ask David LaFlamme of It's A Beautiful Day how Katz affected his career.

http://www.bluoz.com/iabd/napster.html

My gut reaction is that he is litigious - I met him at a courthouse on a proceeding regarding Managers and a California statute. According to him, he spent a lot of money on Moby Grape when they first started - he provided rent, cars, etc - so he feels they are indebted. He also told me that he came up with the band's names for It's a Beautiful Day, the Airplane's and Moby Grape's names. I do know that he recruited Spencer Dryden to play the drums for the Airplane. I haven't read enough about him to really know what his role was - but clearly he was a player at one time with all of these these bands.

The more I thought about it, the more suspicious I got about my memory of the Creedence Clearwater Revival problems. Turns out my suspicions were correct...it wasn't Matthew Katz who litigated John Fogerty into seclusion, but Saul Zaentz :huh: . However Matthew Katz did plenty of other litigation, as evidenced in my previous link B) .