Gabriel Young

joeyz

What is your Favorite GY tune?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite GY tune?

• seven days
    • in that moment
    • skies apart

Yeah, I learned a valuable lesson... never hang out in the control room during a live broadcast.... :lol: One second I was there twiddling my thumbs next minute I was having a mic shoved in my face... talk about being put on the spot... :psychofun:

Congrats joey on your 5 min. (?) of fame! :D Try to be ready for the next 10 ok? ;) Sorry I wasn't able to listen to it...I did have a party this weekend though joey and I played the "live" CD you sent me ... GY were a big hit...VERY well received... :dancin: *happy dance*

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you had a chance to play it for your friends :D and really glad they liked it :D Hopefully there won't be anymore radio appearances for this fella :psychofun: ...if I have anything to do with it... it won't :psychofun: ... but thanks for the encouragement :bigsmile:

• 4 weeks later...

Gabriel Young scored a write up in UGA's 'Red and Black' today. Thanks to Beatking and DAIC for bringing Dawn Kinnard to my attention, we're really lucky to get to work with her tonight in Athens @ Tasty World.

Check out the original artical here.

Don't ask Britney the meaning behind "Baby, One More Time."

Although she sings the song, someone else wrote it.

A growing number of mainstream performers have songwriters craft a tune for their range and genre.

A lineup of artists whose material has remained their own will take the stage at Tasty World Wednesday at 10 p.m.

"Athens has gotten away from her acoustic roots," said Peter Gabriel Zarbanos of the Gabriel Young Band. "There are a lot of bands here, but not much in the way of acoustic performances. We're hoping to bring that back."

The Gabriel Young Band, a two-man acoustic group, plans on focusing on music they have not yet performed for their Tasty World act.

In only eight months of existence Zarbanos, 19, and his partner, Kalen Young Nash, also 19, have arranged over 30 songs.

At the end of his high school career, Zarbanos traveled to Sweden to study music and developed his family's bluegrass traditions by incorporating jazz and nontraditional guitar elements to form a sophisticated and technical sound.

TASTY WORLD

The Gabriel Young Band, Dawn Kinnard, Ken Will Morton

When: 10 p.m.

Nash also took time out from high school to season his musical skills. Home-schooling provided him an opportunity to pursue his studies and delve into R&B and soul.

Ken Will Morton, 29, also comes from Athens, but found inspiration in a return to his beginnings.

After leaving the Classic City for a decade-long encounter with the life -- and traffic -- found in Atlanta, he now works on a farm.

"I've been up since the crack of dawn working up on a farm, which has been a well of inspiration," Morton said.

He said although he enjoys the simplicities of farm life, he has no time to relax with his busy touring schedule -- something that he relishes.

"(In the other bands I was in), no one wanted to take a leap and risk touring," Morton said. "I just want food and a place to sleep because I love the opportunity to travel."

Dawn Kinnard left her hometown in central Pennsylvania to find her inspiration in riding alone on her Harley Davidson, although she had to sell it to financially back her first album.

"Singer/songwriters share a part of themselves with their audience," said Joey Z., Gabriel Young's manager. "It's not just regurgitating what someone else constructed or produced. You are hearing and seeing a performance that is a holistic and a pure creative composition, analogous to hearing a poet read their poetry.

"When you hear their own words pour from their mouth, nothing is lost in the translation," he said.

Edited by joeyz

:good job: Nice write up. I hope it brings a few more people out to see them tonight.

IN THAT MOMENT

GREAT :rofl::rofl: :good job: :good job: :good job: :good job:

nice and calm

:good job: Nice write up. I hope it brings a few more people out to see them tonight.

Thanks! I am sure it'll catch the interest of at least a few of the 45,000 students that read that paper cover to cover daily :D

Thanks for listening Dutchy.. and thanks for voting :)

Well, at least they made it in the online newspaper there, but I wish they had gone a little further in depth but obviously it wasn't just about GY so kudos to you though for getting them publicity. A nice photo of the guys in the Dville Monitor from the Ducky Derby. :) By the way did you notice they misspelled your last name? LOL I am surprised you haven't asked them to edit it. Oh well....

• 4 weeks later...

Check out the MUSIC SECTION for new mp3s from the band. We just added a fantastic recording of their August 31 performance @ Eddie's Attic in Atlanta (huge thanks goes out to Eddie's Attic & their sound guy). Tons of new songs... It's You, Come Around, & Don't Wait On the Rain are not to be missed. Look for the songs to be chopped up a bit better in the next few days, so you might wanna hold off before burning it to a cd, but for now enjoy the show. It's just like being there, I swear...

post-102-1096596694.jpg

Edited by joeyz

Excellent... there isn't one bad track among them. Sounds like they really enjoy themselves performing too.  :bigsmile:

yeah... maybe a bit to comfortable on stage :bigsmile: :psychofun:

post-102-1096596587.jpg

Edited by joeyz

yeah... maybe a bit to comfortable on stage :bigsmile: :psychofun:

That's not a bad thing though... it's good to have a raport with the audience.... kinda makes people feel special.

I'll have to check this out later cause I am working but Sallie's Song must be a new one I haven't heard. Anxiously awaiting this one. :)

GY has the honor of opening the North Georgia Folk Festival this year on Saturday, October 2nd @ 1:00pm. Special thanks to Susan Staley and everyone else that encouraged GY's participation. Click here for more information about this Athens tradition.

post-102-1096596529.jpg

Edited by joeyz

Nice write-up there too. I've been wondering, does Kalen have any connection to the members of CSN&Y or were his parents just REALLY big fans?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick heads-up.......

Gabriel Young is releasing a self-produced and recorded full-length cd the first week of November '04! This manufactured CD is going to be used to fund the studio /production/mastering costs required to professionally produce and record their up-coming EP. This cd should be available for purchase online (for $10 + s&h) at www.gabrielyoung.com in the next few weeks. I’ll be sure to notify fans when the CD’s arrive. Thanks for supporting Gabriel Young!

Let me know and I will definitely buy one. :)

• 3 weeks later...
There is no difference on shipping to outside the U.S.?

Or is that a mistake?

You're right Shawn.. for right now it's just going to be a strait rate for all shipments. We don't have many international fans right now... so we're willing to swallow the additional costs for the few of you that live outside of the US... mainly for simplicity sake... enjoy the cheap rates while they last .. and thanks for your interest Shawn :D

Edited by joeyz

Yippy Skippy this is going to be an awesome venue to see them perform at. :) I absolutely can't wait to see this one.