Gabriel Young

joeyz

What is your Favorite GY tune?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite GY tune?

• seven days
    • in that moment
    • skies apart

All you guys have to check out Gabriel Young!!! A true music phenomenon! Click the links at the bottom of the post to give them a listen! Thanks for your interest!

After hitting the Athens, Georgia music scene early in January, 2004, Gabriel Young has captivated audiences with their unique brand of acoustic, R&B flavored, pop. The 19-year-old musicians have skillfully constructed a voluminous sound that is uncharacteristic of a duo. The band has already yielded 43 original tunes, demonstrating their effortless approach to songwriting. Their raw talent and stage presence has propelled them into the local spotlight and turned a number of heads in the music world at large.

Gabriel Young's debut album, "Sidewalks & Dirt Roads," (released Dec '04) introduces the band as a fresh, yet emotionally-dynamic duo that produces a mature sound beyond their years. Kalen Young Nash's soulful, R&B influenced vocals cleverly complement Peter Gabriel Zorbanos's bluegrass/folk guitar work. Their combination of contrasting genres creates an unparalleled sound. The delicate pieces "It's You," "Sallie's Song" and "Three Day Weekend" find a subtle balance of rhythm and melody that flatters the tenderness of their subject matter, highlighting the purity of young love.

New GY Music

Sallie's Song

Apart From Me

DADGAD

The Offical Gabriel Young Web-Site

seven days

in that moment

skies apart

If you really like them ... tell them about it on Gabriel Young message board @ Gabriel Young Fan Forums

gytestfile01.jpg

Photo courtesy of Dave Cone

Edited by joeyz

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The website is working today, JoeyZ. Nice acoustical stuff, and the lead singer has a strong original voice. I agree with you that Gabriel Young is a very talented duo that's going places

Dude, thanks for looking at the site and voting in the pole. For your info Gabriel Young is the name of the two-man band. One's name is Gabe and one's name is Young and yes I really do think that they are going places. They are scheduled to play at Eddies Attic open Mic competition in Atlanta, Ga (an acoustic music club www.eddiesattic.com) this is the same music club where John Mayer, Shawn Mullens, and Annie DeFranco were discovered. If they make it to the finals of the competition they will have the opportunity to be seen by many big music industry executives! Let's wish the boys good luck this Monday!!! Please check www.gabrielyoung.com out if you haven't already! Then you'll have bragging rights that you heard of them first on Beatking.com!!!! strumma'

• 2 weeks later...

These guys are starting to catch a pretty big buzz here in Athens... and it's not because of all the BARS in this college town (considering both of these guys are only 18 ;) and because they're good, honorable young men of course)... These guys are great... everyone that's heard them live instantly becomes a fan! Be looking out for these kids! They're starting to rise fast! If you haven't done so already check out the site and listen to the clips from their sampler... it's oh so worth it! :strumma: :strumma:

These guys are starting to catch a pretty big buzz here in Athens... and it's not because of all the BARS in this college town (considering both of these guys are only 18 ;) and because they're good, honorable young men of course)... These guys are great... everyone that's heard them live instantly becomes a fan! Be looking out for these kids! They're starting to rise fast! If you haven't done so already check out the site and listen to the clips from their sampler... it's oh so worth it! :strumma: :strumma:

I am right there with you Joeyz. I became a fan as soon as I heard the wave for In this Moment off the website. I didn't know what to classify their style as, but I knew they had definite appeal potential. I finally went to a show, and I was expecting good music, but these guys were flaming. They had completely captivated the audience of young college kids to people in their 40's. They're was a definite buzz around the room. They create music that I believe could appeal to many different genres from pop to jazz, to maybe even country. These young men are definitely something to be on the look out for. I guarantee it. I especially love their instrumentals. Those set these guys apart from every other wishful guitarist. Already member Gabriel has technical skill on a guitar that you wouldn't believe could come from an 18 year old. Member Young (Kalen) brings smooth vocals and also great guitar stylings. I wish GY the very best and I look forward to hearing more.

I bet some of Gabriel Young's biggest fans would interested in discovering that they have had a song picked to be on the BreastFest compilation CD. This CD features songs from the best artists involved with the BreastFest festival. "Skies Apart" was the song that was selected for the BreastFest CD. If you didn' t already know....."BreastFest is a local fundraising initiative developed to increase breast cancer awareness, health and wellness through music and sport. All proceeds benefit the Athens Regional Breast Health Center and the Tyanna Barre O’Brien Breast Cancer Foundation. BreastFest invites everyone to Celebrate and Remember—celebrate life, celebrate survivors, and remember those who have died. "(http://breastfest.org/athens/athens.htm) the fact that Gabriel Young is getting this type of response from such a well know/respected event is a true testament to their skill and talent as musicians. Please check out the BreastFest website for show times and schedules. If you're in the Athens, GA area, be sure to get out to BreastFest events to see Gabriel Young/ other BreastFest featured artists to help them raise money for such a good cause! :strumma:

Congratulations Gabriel Young!! That is really awesome! I am so proud of them. They will definitely be able to reach more people in the Athens area this way. I guess I'll have to agree with your statement. They are going to blow up very soon. :)

That's a good cause. I hope it helps with promotion.

I had a whole other picture conjoured up with 'breastfest' before I read what it was about :o

That's a good cause. I hope it helps with promotion.

I had a whole other picture conjoured up with 'breastfest' before I read what it was about :o

Yeah Umma! This festival should not be confused with Kooperman's thread "Protest To Aim At Equal Topless Rights. " It's still a pro-boobies festival ...just a little less skin. :D

Gabriel Young fans look out!!! The GY boys are heading back to the playroom for some more recording tomorrow! The hot new tracks to be looking for will be Green ,DADGAD (a flaming instrumental), Long Way Down (yet another fan favorite) and possibly a phat piano number! It has been suggested by many that they get some more tracks down so people can get a better idea of their unique sound and hear the variety of music that they have to offer. Be looking for a couple new mp3's on the site in the next few weeks.... it's gonna be awesome!!!!

Edited by joeyz

3 new tracks layed down this week... and hopefully 3 more by Wed! You guys better either avoid the new mp3s or go invest in some Depends, because when you hear this new stuff you're going to soil yourself! It's really that amazing!!! I will let you guys know when the site has been updated! :D

Edited by joeyz

Thanks Joeyz! He's right people GY is a really good pick for a high energy jam session. I can't wait to hear what these guys have done now. :) Here's to great music and fun times.

Speaking of high energy Jamming.. lots of that is going to be going on @ the Folklife in GA festival in the rural north Georgia (USA) town of Danielsville... in our beloved Madison County... April 3rd. This festival showcases a variety of arts and crafts as well as local music of all types… including Gabriel Young, Neil Pattman... a local blues hero, Packway Handle.. Bluegrass band, and even some Deep South church gospel! It's a great festival... I am really glad GY could be a part of it this year. I bet some of you "California Yankees" would really enjoy it!

Edited by joeyz

Gabriel Young travels to Georgia College and State University Wed. April 7th to perform for an eager crowd College Students. The GY boys have attracted some good attention down there. Here is an article about GY that is being published in this weeks GCSU news paper "The Colonnade."

Special thanks to Pam T.(DreamyChick) for introducing GY to the Student Activities Board @ GCSU!

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local Band Comes to Campus

by Jenny Weiss

Gabriel Young, a hot new band out of Athens, will be performing on the front campus of Georgia College & State University Wednesday, April 7 at 8 p.m.

Gabriel Young is a band comprised of two young men, Gabriel Zorbanos and Kalen Young Nash. Their music consists of acoustic guitars and original lyrics and delivers a sound that is a combination of folk, jazz, pop, singer/songwriter and R&B.

Pam Tolbert, senior management of information systems major, has been a fan of the band since the first time she heard them play in Athens.

"Gabriel Young really drew me in as a fan with their high energy instrumentals and soulfulness," Tolbert said. "They have something special when they come together to perform that other musicians often have trouble finding. They just have this passion, this drive and the heart to continue to the next level as a band. They really compliment one another both musically and vocally."

Tolbert enjoyed the band's performance in Athens so much that she talked to Ronald Lunk, assistant director of student activities at GC&SU, about booking Gabriel Young to perform at GC&SU.

"Anytime we have a student or faculty who recommends a group to come, we try to work something out," Lunk said. "This band is different from the groups that we usually bring to campus. I thought it would cater to a different crowd of students."

"From what I have seen at other shows, they have a wide audience appeal," Tolbert said. "I thought they would connect well with GC&SU students."

Gabriel Zorbanos is a classical guitar major at the University of Georgia. He spent a year in Sweden studying music and honing his skills on the guitar. Kalen Young Nash is finishing up his senior year at Madison County High School in Danielsville, GA. The guys have known one another for ten years. Living only a mile apart, they both had a passion for music and an interest in guitars. They have been playing together as Gabriel Young for three months.

Though they have yet to be signed to a record label, the band has been receiving attention through playing at colleges, universities, bars and anywhere they can be seen by big crowds.

"They have a unique sound, and they are really talented," Lunk said. "A lot of people will be more interested in their music once they hear them perform."

The band also has a website where fans can check out clips of their music, find out the band's tour schedule and learn more about the guys. Those interested should check out www.gabrielyoung.com for more information.

"I really think GC&SU students will enjoy what Gabriel Young has to offer as far as their vocals and guitar skills," Tolbert said. "The band puts on a great show, and I encourage everyone to come and check out the music for themselves."

Local Band Comes to Campus -- Link to GCSU Colonnade Artical

Click on the link - then Variety/Local Band Comes to Campus

I am so thrilled for our guys. I hope it's one of the best shows yet. :)

any word of the new samples on the web site yet ? I'm looking forward to hearing a few more tunes when they become available :)

Yeah, they finished some new recordings today... we have a friend who studied recording in Amsterdam for a year... he's going to try to clean them up a little bit before they try to post the new mp3s on the site... we all have to try to be patient...and boy is it hard.. I have heard the new stuff in the rough (unmastered) form and it's amazing.....I am certain it will be completely worth the wait! I assure you the guys are working hard as we type!