Celtic Fusion & Traditional

Umma

PRESS RELEASE

Sharon Shannon - 'Libertango'

'Libertango' is the new album from Sharon Shannon following the hugely successful 'The Diamond Mountain Sessions' released in 2000.

Shannon's career, which began with the Waterboys in 1988 has been a varied and diverse one. While being firmly rooted in the Irish tradition she has undertaken a musical journey which includes collaborations with Bono and Adam Clayton, classical violinist Nigel Kennedy, reggae legend Denis Bovell, the Kodo drummer of Japan as well as Steve Earle, Jackson Browne, Emmy-Lou Harris and Alison Krauss. As well as this Sharon has toured the UK, Europe, Japan, Australia, the US and Canada and Africa.

Having spent most of last year recording and touring with Sinead O'Connor, Shannon's new album 'Libertango' sees her inviting many female guest vocalists as well as enlisting the talents of her current touring line-up. Sinead O'Connor contributes two songs, one an ancient Irish religious chant, the other a beautiful version of Scottish folk song 'Anachie Gordon'. The late Kirsty McColl contributes a cover of Astor Piazolla's 'Libertango' (previously recorded by Grace Jones) which was originally released on 'Each Little Thing' but re-arranged for this record. 'All the Ways you Wander' gets a stunning performance from newcomer Pauline Scanlon, who has been touring with Sharon over the past year. It also features traditional Irish singer Roisin Elsafty, Róisín, who comes from a Connemara/Egyptian family sings an original song written by her mother Treasa and Donal Lunny in Gaelic and Arabic, 'An Phailistin' or 'Palestine'.

The diverse material on this album ranges in origin from original material by Sharon to Irish and Scottish reels and jigs to the latin flavoured 'Whitestrand Sling' to a cover of Fleetwood Mac¹s instrumental hit 'Albatross'. Shannon's trademark accordion is complimented by a wealth of musicians including long time collaborator and legendary producer Donal Lunny, to drummer and producer John Reynolds (Sinead O'Connor, The Indigo Girls, Ghostland) and old Waterboys soul mates, Steve Wickham (fiddle) and Trevor Hutchinson (double bass), to jazz saxophonist Richie Buckley (Van Morrison).

Sharon Shannon Link

post-32-1175077619.jpg

http://www.altan.ie/

"The material (on Blackwater) is largely traditional... the final piece, is simply the most captiving, resonant and beautiful music Altan have played, and makes useless for three and a half minutes the history of rock 'n' roll"

Mojo (UK)

"The Red Crow is a triumphant restatement of the virtues of the traditional approach"

Q Magazine

"Thought by many to be the finest traditional Irish combo working today, Altan seamlessly blend dazzling instrumental prowess and the gorgeously delicate vocals of Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh"

Chicago Weekly

"The hottest group in the Celtic realm these days"

The Boston Globe

"Altan's special strength is the clarity and coordination of its textures"

The New York Times

"Fresh from their well-deserved win in the Roots category at last week's Hot Press Awards, Altan put on a humdinger of a show at the Olympia on Saturday night"

The Evening Herald, Dublin

"They're poised for greatness and under no circumstances should they be missed in concert"

Irish Echo, New York

"Altan's tireless touring has won them a loyal following especially in America, and helped them make impressive inroads on world music charts"

Billboard (US)

"Mairead Ni Mhaonaighs' beautiful airs had us begging for more. Every corner seemed to echo with her voice long after the music had stopped"

Evening Press, Dublin

"The appeal of Altan centres on the fact that they see no differences or divisions in music. As such, they have managed to cross the all- important cultural barriers between folk and world and rock music"

The Sunday Tribune, Dublin

Born in Manchester to Irish parents, Michael McGoldrick was encouraged by the thriving traditional Irish music scene in the city and by the age of 15, he had already won numerous All-Ireland Championships after swapping bodhran to play flute and whistles.

The Didsbury flutist made a name for himself whilst still at school, as a founder-member of Toss The Feathers, the most influential Celtic rock band in Manchester. He performed on all of 'The Tossers' releases and became the first piper/flautist to win the acclaimed BBC Radio Two Young Tradition Award in September 1995.

>>>>>> Read More

topleft.gif

The Story

Davy Spillane was born in Dublin in 1959. He attended Irish-speaking schools where he started to play music from the age of 12 and soon became impassioned by the pipes. He was always encouraged by his family and his father took him all over the country to festivals. From the ages of 13-16 he played at traditional sessions and fairs all over Ireland where he met and played with many of the masters of Irish music. From the age of 16 he played at festivals and concerts in Ireland, Britain and Europe.

When he was 18 yrs he starred in Joe Comerford's film Traveller. Davy was a founder member of Moving Hearts and can be heard on all of their albums. During this time he started to write music and his influence can be heard strongly on their final album The Storm.

Read more at >>>> http://www.davyspillane.com/

• 2 years later...

I think it's more like pretentious English lute music... rather than Celtic Fusion but I haven't heard anything of it other than that trailer on tv...

I didn't rush out and buy it either.

I think it's more like pretentious English lute music... rather than Celtic Fusion but I haven't heard anything of it other than that trailer on tv...

I didn't rush out and buy it either.

Would the Fairport Convention fall in to this category? I remember liking them

Yeah, Fairport Convention would be more onto English folk/traditional sort of stuff. What I've heard of that Sting album seems more medieval but I suppose the 20 seconds I've listened to probably isn't enough to be making anything other than half witted comments about it. :)

Yeah, Fairport Convention would be more onto English folk/traditional sort of stuff. What I've heard of that Sting album seems more medieval but I suppose the 20 seconds I've listened to probably isn't enough to be making anything other than half witted comments about it. :)

I lasted less :lol: