Other artists from Ireland

Umma

Press release for Juliet Turner

February 05 2004 :

“Season of the Hurricane”

Production by Alastair McMillan (Van Morrison/Paul Brady) with Martin Terefe (Shea Seager/ Ron Sexsmith) on “Everything Beautiful is Burning” and “Vampire”.

Recorded in Amberville Studios, N. Ireland and Electric Earth, East London.

Friday 13th February seems an appropriate date for the release of Turner’s anticipated third album. There are no romantic love songs here. Turner’s lyrics are peppered with references to vampires, premonitions, smoke and mirrors, no strings attached sexual romps and Elvis rising from the dead. “Season of the Hurricane” is no downbeat, lo-fi affair. The songs are beautifully arranged and the melodies effortlessly catchy – no more so than in the single “Everything Beautiful is Burning” (already a radio hit in Ireland) but also evident in the punkish energy of “1987”, the sassy bells and whistles of “The Signal and the Noise”, the Big Top lunacy of “The Greatest Show on Earth” and the lyrical elegance of the title track.

Turner has used the three and a half years since her last album release wisely, maturing as a writer of both lyrics and melody. No sign here of an artist relying on tour bus tales for inspiration. And for those lovers of the stripped bare, acoustic songs, the desolation in “No Good in This Goodbye”, the eerie hesitancy of “Elvis is in the Building” and the drunken swing of the only cover song on the album “Sugartown” should satisfy.

“Season of the Hurricane” is released by “Hear This!” Records and is distributed in Ireland by Sony Music.

http://www.julietturner.com

Brian Edward Patrick Kennedy, is one of Ireland’s most successful ambassadors of music. He is not only a prolific songwriter but also a master interpreter of lyrics and audiences around the world continue to praise his exceptional vocal talent.

Brian's new BBC TV Programme - 'Brian Kennedy On Song' which started in January has been the jewel in the Kennedy crown so far in 2003. This new six part music series, shot on location around Ireland and presented by Brian, reveals the history behind a variety of Irish classic songs, from old ballads to more contemporary tunes. Such is the success of this series that the BBC commissioned Brian for another series of six shows even before transmission of the first series had began.

His recent signing to Curb Records for an outstanding six album worldwide record deal has resulted in the release of 'Brian Kennedy On Song' & 'Get On With Your Short Life' on CD.

'On Song' a 17 track album proves he is the most prodigiously-gifted Irish male vocalist of recent years as he tackles ballads like the Mountains of Mourne alongside the swaggering Dirty Old Town. On several tracks he is joined by guests: on the bracing, up-tempo Curragh of Kildare he duets with Irish actor Adrian Dunbar, the gritty Homes of Donegal finds Kennedy and Paul Brady trading lines, while a haunting I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls is beautifully rendered as a duet with Sinead O'Connor.

"For the longest time I've been wanting to do traditional songs. When I sing a traditional song the temperature changes...they're a lot bigger than pop songs. They really carry their weight. We planned to do an album of traditional Irish songs, went into the studio and suddenly were contacted by BBC Northern Ireland, who had a very similar idea. I was like 'Are you reading my mail?'. We sat down and compared lists and 10 of the 16 songs on my list ere on their list so I knew things were going well. We then had a discussion of potential guests and again our lists were uncannily similar".

http://www.briankennedy.co.uk

Cara Dillon seems to have seduced the entire nation in just a couple of short, breathtaking,eventful years. Make that several nations, for among the rare ingredients of herirresistibly natural personality and mesmerising ability to relate a great story in song, is an all-embracing quality that defies borders, cultures and even languages.

http://www.caradillon.co.uk/

Paul Brady, singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist is one of Ireland's most highly-regarded and successful artists.

Born and raised in Strabane, Northern Ireland, on the border with the Irish Republic, he was into a wide variety of music from an early age. A Fifties child, his first sounds the Swing, Jazz, Show tunes of his parents generation. Then 50's Rock 'n Roll, 60's pop and Motown, Blues, R'nB and Country and Western. Through all this ran the potent flavour of Irish traditional music and song.

http://www.paulbrady.com/

Cara Dillon is probably folk traditional, Paul Brady came from that backgound but is now more contemporary.... and the other two are ...... ummm .... you'll just have to listen to them and see

• 7 months later...
Anyone in here listen to Loreena McKennit? What about Afro Celt?

What kind of music does she play. And what examples do you have of Afro Celt. Any links for either..

And...welcome back to Beatking :strumma:

I heard a Lorena McKennit recording a few years ago and while it's not my cuppa tea....(it's what I'd class as leprechaun music along with Enya) it may well grow on me in time .... taste in music tends to change over the years so maybe at some stage in life... Enya and Lorena McKennit wont give me the willies...

Never listened much to Afro Celt Sound System but this has reminded me to. :)