Introduction to Sean Paul

DudeAsInCool

Just saw this guy on the Grammy's doing a reggae version of Roxanne with Sting. Here's some old background info on him. Looks like hes come a long way..

Ever since his impressive single debut "Baby Girl" in the spring of 1996 for producer Jeremy Harding on the 2 Hard Records label, Sean Paul has captured the eyes and ears of the Dancehall community as "...the one to watch". Born to a Portuguese-Jamaican father and a Chinese-Jamaican mother, Sean Paul Henriques grew up known to his friends as the "copper- color Chiney bwoy...", excelling in sports in his teen years. Sean played water polo for the Jamaica National team as well as representing his country in swimming in the 1989 and 1991 Carifta Games. However his love for the arts was fostered at an earlier age by his mother, a well noted Jamaican painter. "When I was 13 years old , my mother got me this little thirty dollar keyboard. I remember thinking that this was all I needed to make dancehall riddims!" Nonetheless, it wasn't until 1993 that the then aspiring dancehall DJ from St. Andrew got his introduction to the music business through musicians Carrot Jarret, Cat Coore and Bunny Rugs from Third World, as well as producers Rupert Bent and Paul Castick.

"I am very grateful to those musicians for giving me my first exposure to the business. But I wasn't really feeling the direction they were going in. Dancehall was really the right avenue for me to express myself, to get people to hear me out about how I saw the world". With a style and voice reminiscent of the great Super Cat, the 26 year old DJ also credits Major Worries, Shabba Ranks, Lt. Stitchie and Papa San as heavy musical influences. After a string of hits such as "Infiltrate" and "Hackle Mi" for producer Jeremy Harding , "Nah get no Bly (One More Try)" for producer Donavon Germain, and "Deport Them" and "Excite Me" for producer Tony Kelly, Sean Paul is currently enjoying the success of "Hot Gal Today" with Mr. Vegas on producers Steely and Clevie's "Streetsweeper" riddim. Sean also appears on the cut "Here Comes the Boom" with Mr.Vegas and rap artiste DMX on the soundtrack to video director Hype Williams' debut film "Belly" on Def Jam Records.

With his debut album for VP Records on the way this fall, Sean Paul says despite his achievements, he still feels like a rookie. "I'm still working on my career, still trying to learn from other artistes and develop my skills and my style. The world still hasn't seen the best of  Sean Paul." The DJ has appeared on most of the major music festivals including Sting, Reggae Sunsplash, Reggae Sumfest and Reggae SuperJam, as well as showcases in Great Britain , the Caribbean, and numerous US club and arena venues. Sean has also started his own record label, Bassline Records, to sharpen his production chops and make a greater impact on the reggae industry.

"Not enough time is put into the full production of Dancehall. The talent is there, but we have to look at the rest of the world as a marketplace as well, not just Jamaica. People should stop just trying to make a quick buck and develop the music. Then reggae can move forward again." Sean Paul standing tall...

Interview by Jacquie - Page Design and Video by Michelle Lin c.1999 All Rights Reserved. Dancehallminded.com. Don't reproduce without permission or we'll hunt you down and kill ya. yuh hear?!

http://www.dancehallminded.com/seanpaul/bio.htm

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I agree with cube. He has the most annoying voice ever. I'd rather listen to Michael Bolton

:o

i disagree with cube and DudeAsInCool.... sean paul rox... i went to his brisbane concert and it went off, have all his cd's and selective memorabilia... how can people be successful with negatives around them???

u all rok tho :D

i disagree with cube and DudeAsInCool....

I think you mean Cube and Method77, XB - Im the guy who posted the original story 'cause he seemed like someone on the move...

And..welcome to BK, XBrodie. Make yourself at home :strumma:

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

I think Sean Paul is a good dancehall artist. I especially like his two songs called "International Affair" and "Shake That Thing." The latter is mesmerizing to me and I could play it for hours and not get tired of it.

I think that .:BeatFactory:. may be one of tha only ppl on this site that has an ear for music?? 

Well, they're here - they just don't all post. Check out the Lyric's Forum and take a look a the numbers for BF's rap and dance hall threads ;) I did like the Roxanne cut with Sting

I think that .:BeatFactory:. may be one of tha only ppl on this site that has an ear for music??

i think this person needs to be banned from the site so that they are able to think about what they have just said..!!

i think this person needs to be banned from the site so that they are able to think about what they have just said..!!

Lol - XBrodie was a bit harsh, wasn't he. I think our good listenin' ears will survive, Mr. Jip. We're into all kinds of music here, XB.. Cruise around and check it out.

um, sory DudeAsInCool, im a chik not a guy.. and sory if you took wat i said with tha ear thing.. MwA :wub:

Dont sweat it. Mr. Jip is our resident comedian - I just tried to lighten it up some. We are pranksters here - please make yourself at home and join in.

lol, hey thanx kiwibank and shawn..and yes, its my boody.. but i kinda got my eye out for .::BeatFactory::., he's sum mitey fine dude.

thanx ne way mwa :wub:

wow...love on the airwaves...isn`t technology great!!!

LOL. I was sitting here wondering what was wrong with mankind.

Having make a fairly innocent remark that was taken as a compliment, for some reason I now had to fight the urge to speculate on BF's sexuality. ;)

lol you guyz rok!

people on this forum are so nice, i just wana give you all a hug.. pitty nealy all of you are in america and im on the gold coast australia.. :good job:

party hard guyz,

oh btw: i wonder if BF realizez i gots tha hots 4 him... hrmmm??

post-32-1086257055.jpg

lol you guyz rok!

people on this forum are so nice, i just wana give you all a hug.. pitty nealy all of you are in america and im on the gold coast australia.. :good job:

party hard guyz,

are you in oz...i`m in nz...used to live on the gold coast at miami and down at burleigh heads.....worked for the gold coast city council.....

Edited by kiwibank

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

lol you guyz rok!

party hard guyz,

I guess I do now huh? :D :kissy face: