Nick Cave Performs <i>Skeleton Tree</i> Songs Live for the First Time: Watch

NelsonG

Nick Cave Performs Skeleton Tree Songs Live for the First Time: Watch

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds have kicked off their tour behind their excellent 2016 album Skeleton TreeDuring their first show in Hobart, Australia, the band performed songs from that record live for the first time. Watch them perform “I Need You,” “Girl in Amber,” “Magneto,” and the title track below via NME. Also, find the band’s upcoming tour dates.

Cave also gave a rare interview about the album’s creation in the aftermath of his son Arthur’s death. “I was a mess, big time,” he told The Australian (via NME). He said that going in the studio a few months after Arthur passed was “not a good idea, and I hope I never have to do anything like that again.” He called the experience “crazy,” “terrifying,” and “difficult.” He also discussed the reaction to the film One More Time With Feeling:

“You know, I saw the things people wrote about the film on social media ... the way the film seemed to open something very deep for people, and how so many people out there had lost people they loved, you know, just how many grievers there were. It was a very powerful feeling, and ultimately shifted something in me, and Susie too, and stopped us feeling so completely hopeless all the time. It was like we had done something good for Arthur, all of us, and had placed the memory of him up there in the stars.”

Read more excerpts from the interview here

One More Time With Feeling is discussed in “What Does It Mean to Experience an Album for the First Time as a Film?” on the Pitch.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds:

01-15 Ballarat, Australia - North Gardens
01-17 Wellington, New Zealand - TSB Bank Arena
01-18 Auckland, New Zealand - Vector Arena
01-20-21 Sydney, Australia - ICC Sydney Theatre
01-22 Newcastle, Australia - Newcastle Entertainment Centre
01-25 Brisbane, Australia - Riverstage
01-27 Melbourne, Australia - Sidney Myer Music Bowl
01-28 Melbourne, Australia - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

01-29 Adelaide, Australia - Adelaide Entertainment Centre
01-31 Perth, Australia - Perth Arena
05-26 Brooklyn, NY - Kings Theatre