6 Albums Out Today You Should Listen to Now: The xx, the Flaming Lips, Bonobo, More

NelsonG

6 Albums Out Today You Should Listen to Now: The xx, the Flaming Lips, Bonobo, More

With so much good music being released all the time, it can be hard to determine what to listen to first. Every week, Pitchfork offers a run-down of significant new releases available on streaming services. This week’s batch includes new albums and EPs from the xx, the Flaming Lips, Bonobo, Flo Morrissey and Matthew E. White, Chavez, and Mr. Tophat.

The xx: I See You [Young Turks]

Over four years after releasing their sophomore album, Coexist, the xx have put out their third LP: I See You. Produced by Jamie xx and Rodaidh McDonald, the album was recorded between March 2014 and August 2016. Read our review of “On Hold,” and watch the accompanying music video. Check out our new Cover Story “I’ll Be Your Mirror: How the xx Found Themselves—and Their Vibrant New Sound—in Each Other.”

Listen on Apple Music

Listen on Spotify

The Flaming Lips: Oczy Mlody [Warner Bros.]

Following 2014’s Beatles covers record With a Little Help From My FwendsOczy Mlody is the Flaming Lips’ first LP of new material since 2013’s The Terror. It includes the Miley Cyrus collaboration “We a Famly.” Watch the videos for “How??” and “The Castle.”

Listen on Apple Music

Listen on Spotify

Bonobo: Migration [Ninja Tune]

Bonobo’s new album is a follow-up to 2013’s The North Borders. It features Rhye, Hundred Waters’ Nicole Miglis, Nick Murphy (fka Chet Faker), and Innov Gnawa. Watch the video for the lead single “Kerala.”

Listen on Apple Music

Listen on Spotify

Flo Morrissey / Matthew E. White: Gentlewoman, Ruby Man [Glassnote]

In 2015, Flo Morrissey and Matthew E. White both put out solo albums: Tomorrow Will Be Beautiful and Fresh Bloodrespectively. Gentlewoman, Ruby Man is their first LP together. It includes covers of songs by James Blake, the Velvet Underground, Frankie Valli, Frank Ocean, Leonard Cohen, and more.

Listen on Apple Music

Listen on Spotify

Chavez: Cockfighters EP [Matador]

Cockfighters is Chavez’s first new material in 20 years—the band’s last album was 1996’s Ride the Fader. The EP is three tracks long.

Listen on Apple Music

Listen on Spotify

Mr. Tophat: Trust Me EP [Smalltown Supersound]

Last November, Mr. Tophat released a new collaboration with Robyn called “Trust Me.” His new EP features Robyn on all three tracks. There are also contributions from Abba’s original drummer, Per Lindvall, and his brother, bassist David Lindvall. Check out our review of the EP’s “Right Time.”

Listen on Apple Music

Listen on Spotify

View the full article