Fresh Cream - Cream (1967)

DudeAsInCool

Fresh Cream - Cream (1967)

The instrumental pedigree of Eric Clapton (the Yardbirds, John Mayall), Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker (both from the Graham Bond Organisation) did not prepare audiences for Fresh Cream's inspired pop spin on the blues. In "I Feel Free" and "N.S.U.," Clapton's guitar work is taut and melodic; Bruce sings in a high torrid tenor, like a raving choirboy. The trio's blues purism is here in covers of Muddy Waters' "Rollin' and Tumblin' " and Skip James' "I'm So Glad." But these performances were only a blueprint of what was to come: Many of these tight numbers turned into quarter-hour jams when Cream hit the American acid-ballroom circuit.

Total album sales: 500

Peak chart position: 39

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/featuregen.asp?pid=2249

If you want the good stuff, get Disreali Gears or Goodbye Cream. Sunshine of Your Love and White Room were the standout cuts from Cream, and they came later. Cream were just warming up when they recorded this album.

Cream's recordings have always suffered from poor sound production values ...versus ...other artists of the day.

A few years ago... Polydor (I believe) put out a ....remastered ...2 CD set called: The Very Best of Cream.

After hearing it, I was surprised at just how much better Cream sounded.

This remastered recording from the original master tapes ..breathed new life into some of their most popular songs.

I highly recommend anyone who is a big fan ...try to get this Very Best of collection.

Worth buying even

• 2 months later...

my favourite cream albums..." live cream vol 1 & 2"

the 10 minute version of "nsu" is a standout......

-- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a band Cream were live! They were a world apart, just listen to the improvisational chemistry between the band members. This album remains one my most treasured possessions and that's for the musical value! It is on par if not better than the live portion of 'Wheels Of Fire'.l

apart from some of the bootleg stuff (e.g. the 19 minute NSU at Brandeis University) the Live Cream version of Sweet Wine is the ultimate of the officially released tracks - all 3 band members interacting and taking their lead turn - wonderful stuff, real Cream.

More than any other record, this album captures the interactive and improvisational strengths which made Cream such a powerful live band and dates from their best touring period (March 1968's Fillmore East and Winterland venues.

The earlier studio versions of 'NSU' and 'Sweet Wine' are trivialised by the sonic barrage launched here. In 'NSU' the jamming at times approaches the swirling density of Indian raga, while in 'Sweet Wine' Eric plays some of his most fiery rock guitar. He also gets to strut some excellent straight blues-playing on 'Sleepy Time Time' and 'Rolling and Tumbling.' Although Eric's subsequent concert career would prove that he plays best when backed by a conventional rhythm section, its fascinating to hear him in this aggressive free-for-all.

"we`d start off at one end and see each other at the other end"

post-21-1082790584_thumb.jpg

Had the pleasure to see them live during their Goodbye Cream farewell tour. At that moment in time, they were as good as any band in the world.. Clapton had few rivals on the guitar, and Ginger Baker was easily the best drummer in the world

Had the pleasure to see them live during their Goodbye Cream farewell tour. At that moment in time, they were as good as any band in the world.. Clapton had few rivals on the guitar, and Ginger Baker was easily the best drummer in the world

that would have been good.....i listen to a lot of jack bruce and ginger baker solo stuff but not much clapton these days....

At least to these ears, Cream's music doesn't hold up very well to the test of time. As a byproduct of the hype surrounding them and the recording excesses of the era I think a large potion of their legacy is overpadded. The best things in their catalog are the more concise tracks, without all the individual pyrotechnics. I think both Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce went on to do higher quality, more meaningful work on their own.