what do you pay?

rainbowdemon

$2.97 was the cheapest I could find anywhere last night.

Spud, I remember when I used to work in one of Sunoco's little "booths from hell." People used to bitch 20 years ago about the price of gas. I would tell them that I stayed up late last night thinking up new gas prices, and I appreciated that they took the time to notice my efforts. :lol:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downside of the new vehicle:

It's a turbo, so I have to fill w/ premium. $3.15 a gallon this morning.

Upside:

It's a four cylinder, 12 gallon tank.

The outcome:

$42.00 for a little over twelve gallons (always a little bigger than stated, as the last gallon or two mainly just hold the sediment... baaaad for your fuel system)

how much is a gallon?

EDIT: I'm not lucky. $3.18 after doing the math. Fuck!

At the $1.30 for 1.03 euro Slum quoted you it must be more than that. There's 4 litres in an American gallon.

Luxury of cheap fuel gone with the wind........

The devastating hurricane and rising petrol prices have not made a good mix, writes Mark Coultan.

In March the investment bank Goldman Sachs issued a report saying that the price of oil could rise to between $US50 ($66) and $US105 a barrel. The report predicted the world was entering the early stages of what it called a "super spike" period. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy, as the price jumped on its publication.

The report was wildly derided and criticised. Merchant bankers Merrill Lynch issued a report saying such talk was premature. But several months later Goldman Sach's prediction does not look so alarmist.

When the markets opened on Monday morning, Hurricane Katrina pushed the price of oil above $US70 a barrel. Added to more fundamental factors such as instability in the Middle East and surging demand in China, a "supply side shock", as economists call it, had arrived.

Oil production from the Gulf of Mexico supplies about a quarter of US demand. As well, its offshore oil port can handle 1 million barrels of oil a day, or more than 7 per cent of the oil America imports. Eight major refineries in the New Orleans area, representing 10 per cent of the nation's capacity, are closed. The effects of Hurricane Katrina will be temporary, although it is unclear how long the supply chain will take to recover.

The President, George Bush, had lunch with the chairman of the Federal Reserve, Alan Greenspan, on Thursday and announced that the hurricane was likely to cause a temporary disruption to oil supplies. There were queues over the southern US as motorists started panic buying.

Bush did not mention what effect the price of petrol would have on the management of the economy. The Federal Reserve has been ratcheting up interest rates for months. But the price of oil has much the same effect of cooling demand, so it may cause the Reserve to pause.

The Wall Street Journal this week quoted Daniel Yergin, an oil historian and chairman of Cambridge Energy Research Associates, as saying: "The risk is that households will have to spend so much of their consumption on energy that they will have to reduce expenditure on all other items. During the next few days, this could turn out to be one of the biggest energy shocks since the 1970s - perhaps even the biggest since then - because it involves refineries and natural gas as well as oil production."

The effect for American motorists has been immediate. The price of a gallon of petrol immediately shot over $US3 ($3.90) a gallon. While for most of the world that seems cheap at just over $US1 a litre, for Americans, raised on cheap petrol prices, it was unprecedented.

It has been more than 30 years since the oil price shock of the 1970s, but the American way of life is still largely based on an assumption of cheap oil.

American cities have continued to grow with large suburban areas, while inner cities, with a few exceptions, continue to languish. In addition, exurbs (or extra-urbans) have sprung up in massive numbers in the past 15 years. Fuelled by the work-from-home internet revolution, these communities of large houses on big blocks in rural areas, beyond the suburbs of the cities, could not exist without cars. Public transport is almost non-existent.

The four-wheel drive market, which now makes up more than half the vehicles sold in the US, is just about the only thing keeping the struggling General Motors alive. Although Japanese car manufacturers have captured much of the small-car market - and in particular the burgeoning fuel-efficient electric-petrol hybrid car market - Detroit has sold more and more of these truck-like vehicles.

The price of petrol is also having political effects. Opinion polls consistently show it rates second behind the Iraq war as an issue of concern. A new CBS poll has Bush's approval rating down to 41 per cent - its lowest level ever. This rating will not be helped by the New Orleans disaster, for which Bush's Administration has been bitterly criticised for the slowness of the response.

Instead of leaving the car at home, most economists predict that consumers will reduce spending elsewhere. Some predicted it will help the housing price bubble. Others think it could affect household spending.

The Goldman Sachs report predicted higher prices could, in the end, be good news, as it would lead to increased production and a drop in demand. But at what point? "Perhaps the ultimate answer to how high oil prices need to go before demand destruction occurs is derived from knowing when American consumers will stop buying gas-guzzling sport utility vehicles and instead seek fuel-efficient alternatives. We estimate that US gasoline prices may need to exceed $US4 per gallon."

It is unlikely prices will reach that level soon - many economists predict that oil will soon start to fall. But while hurricanes of the force of Katrina are rare, the peak storm season has not even arrived.

source:AP

post-59-1125706058.jpg

sorry, method dude...i suck at maths and totally forgot about the litre/gallon thang.

Looks like we may be getting more petrol protests here.

Probably wont be as big as last time as the government will be ready with new laws in tow.

I remember walking down the middle of a main road during rush-hour last time. Not a moving car or bus in site.

The government needs to know that the rip-off-motorists and tax-the-poor gravy train has finally dried up.

Hopefully we will get something more substantial than a 2p/litre cut this time. Although I dont think tax has been increased since last time, which would not be the case if it wasn't for the protests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4231954.stm