What Are You Listening To?

DudeAsInCool

GFR - TNUC

good choice mate......"time machine"....grand funk railroad....from the album "bosnia" (October 21, 1997)....many old GFR fans are saying that this album is their (GFR`s) best ever..... :)

post-193-1153520061_thumb.jpg

Dave Brubeck - Sometimes I'm Happy

so who was the genius in this band? i kinda got the sense that paul desmond was the driving force?

so who was the genius in this band? i kinda got the sense that paul desmond was the driving force?

Funny you should ask that...As I often do, I was perusing the ID3 tags on the stuff I was listening to, and I noticed that whoever had the occasion to originally rip and upload Jazz: Red, Hot and Cool had included the following review of the album in the "comment section" of the ID3v2 tag. I am not entirely sure this will answer your question, but there's a lot of info about here, and whoever included it on the mp3 wanted to share not just the music but this info about it too. Cool stuff!

Recorded during three different stays at New York's Basin Street, Jazz: Red, Hot and Cool is making its first appearance in the U.S. on CD. It documents — with the addition of two additional performances that were previously unissued — the original Brubeck quartet in its final years. In 1956 Joe Morello would replace Joe Dodge, and in 1958 Eugene Wright would take over the bass chair from Bob Bates. What strikes the listener about this band, is a having been seasoned for five years when the first of these performances were recorded, the Brubeck quartet was far more immersed in the blues than anyone — at least the critics of the time — had given them credit for. Paul Desmond's alto tone had yet to take on the dry martini velvety texture that became his trademark, and Brubeck was not yet inserting the totality of his classical ideas about the extrapolation of dissonance from consonance and its resulting harmonic theory that was built on an elaborate contrapuntal system. These ideas, that were introduced to him by the French composer and instructor Darius Milhaud and the music of Shostakovich and Stravinsky would later result in the wildly inventive tonal identity expressed in his compositions on Jazz Impressions of Eurasia, Jazz Impressions of New York, and even Time Out. On this set, while Brubeck is playing with large augmented chords and without the use of arpeggios, his strident melodic sense keeps him rooted in the American vernacular musically. There is the gorgeous, post-bop blues in "Lover," and the Gershwin-esque balladic structure employed in "Little Girl Blue." Desmond, for his part was a constant, the most rock steady part of the band. His solos were the epitome of melodic improvisation even then. His break on "Fare the Well, Annabelle," carries the melody and harmony in its venturing. Brubeck, never content to just comp, offers Desmond a few additions on the diminished seventh and he goes for them stitching his counterpoint through them, taking the tune's body into an entirely new intervallic mode. Brubeck's solo quotes Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nacht Musik," Pachelbel's "Canon," and variations on a classical theme from the Orient — Korea, in fact, which was provocative, given the time. The beautiful reading given here of "Love Walked In" is worthy of note because it features the band at its most intimate, hunkered down inside the tune's melody, reworking it to close it off even more from undue influence while re-creating its harmonic architecture. And then there's "The Duke," offered to Gil Evans, a simple stroll through the blues with a nod to both Gershwin and Rogers & Hart. As the band launches into "Indiana" the classic quartet flourish becomes evident; the rhythm section keeps it all steady no matter what happens, and, in Desmond's solo, crossing rhythmic patterns, full time signatures, and meter at lightning speed, this was no mean feat. The two added performances "Taking a Chance on Love" and "Closing Time Blues" were recorded a month after the previous four in August of 1955. Both of them display Brubeck's now trademark two-part counterpoint and Desmond's "in flight" manner of response. They are worthy additions to a record that was already wonderful for its inspiration and the way in which it displayed the band's innovative energy that was unique to live situations. — Thom Jurek

All I know is I really want to catch Brubeck at the Newport JVC Jazz Festival next month! The man is 85...and still playing strong. McCoy Tyner's goning to be there too, on Saturday...It should be an amazing set of shows--I'll kick myself if i miss it.

Dave_Brubeck.jpg

great band..used to listen to them a lot in the '70's ......welcome to beatking brothahj.....see you on the beatking "what are you listening to" thread...the best music thread on the 'net.... :) :)

post-193-1153785103.jpg

See if you can tape the Brubeck concert--now that would be a keeper :0

In All the Right Places Ulrich Schnauss

"roadhouse blues"....status quo....from the album "piledriver" (1972)....watched this on a dvd...very, very cool....when they were really cooking in the early '70`s those boys could lay it down....choice version of the doors classic... :) :thumbsup:

post-193-1154058948_thumb.jpg

post-193-1154058970_thumb.jpg

they were pretty good songwriters as I recall...what were their hits?

From Across the Sea - Jeniferever

they were pretty good songwriters as I recall...what were their hits?

From Across the Sea - Jeniferever

...Status Quo........"Status Quo don't want you to feel their pain. They want you to bang your head, jump up and down and have a good time."

Veteran rock group Status Quo have had more hit singles than any other band in UK chart history, according to research published by Guinness World Records.

The band has scored 61 chart successes, dating from Pictures of Matchstick Men in 1968 to You'll Come Around in 2004.....

The living legends that are Status Quo first signed to Pye Records, they released four albums including their first hit single 'Pictures of Matchstick Men' (1967). The band then signed to Vertigo in 1973 and released the album Piledriver which kick started their 40-year reign in the rock-pop charts, churning out hit after hit, including Caroline, Down Down, Whatever You Want and of course the boogie rock anthem Rockin All Over The World. Enjoying no less than 22 top ten UK chart hits from an astounding 27 studio albums, Status Quo have remained the quintessential British rock n roll band of all time......

"Pictures Of Matchstick Men" ,"Ice in The Sun", "Paper Plane" (1972), "Caroline" (1973), "Down Down" (1975), John Fogerty's "Rockin' All Over The World" (1977) and "Whatever You Want" (1979). "Down Down" topped the UK singles chart in January 1975 (their only British number one single to date).

Status Quo have sold over 100 million albums, and notched up 50 British Hits (more than any other band, ever!)

"Beloved of the masses, hated by the soulless music snobs, Quo are the masters of the twelve bar boogie. Based around the evergreen talents of Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt, this is one band who shows no sign of ever stoppin' the rockin'. Respect is most definitely due."..... :) :)

post-193-1154128499_thumb.jpg

post-193-1154128510_thumb.jpg