What Are You Listening To?

DudeAsInCool

Bear In Heaven - Wholehearted Mess

Bear In Heaven is an indie band from Brooklyn, NY. This cut is from their latest album, Beast Rest Forth Mouth.

Pink Skull Remix

Pink Skull is an electronic band from Philadelphia, PA. You can check out their excellent remix of WholeHearted Mess at RCD LBL

West Indian Girl - To Die In LA

This cut is from the LA band's 4th and Wall album. The post is in honor of W.I.G. Mariqueen Maandig's marriage to Trent Reznor! Wish it was me B)

All My Friends

The Jazzual Suspects is the downtempo musical project of London's Charlie Tate.

This Beat

This cut appears on Mark Farina's Mushroom Jazz 6 collection.

Mark Farina produced the excellent Dream Machine with Sean Hayes

The Jazzual Suspects - Funkin' Koobad

This cut appears on the album, Downtempo Garden. Buy a Lincoln, you might get laid :lol:

Whitest Boy Alive - Keep A Secret

This cut is from the Berlin duo's latest album, Rules.

Show Me Love is a cover of Robyn's hit single

Concert Antics

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized

"The song, as indicated by the title takes the form of a mystical, dreamy reverie. However, unusually given the subject matter, the song features triple time rhythm on the drums by Mick Fleetwood and combines with acoustic guitar and electric keyboards to give a jazzier essence to the song. Welch draws upon the use of jazz fourth chords in the song playing in a minor key and also features a guitar solo by guitarist Bob Weston covering many octaves. - Wkipedia

From the band's classic 1973 album, Mystery to me.

"Crimson and Clover" is a song by Tommy James and the Shondells. It was one of the biggest hits of the 1960s and reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and #1 in Canada in 1969. - Wikipedia

Prince's cover

Here is the original song by Tommy James and the Shondells. I saw them once at some pop festival or other B)

I saw Tommy James live a few yrs ago. He is the only original member of the group. He had some huge hits back in the 60s but fizzled out in the early 70s. I have a dvd rip of his live show filmed in 1997 at The Bitter End. Pretty good vid but then I like Tommy James. Your mileage may vary.

Rickie Lee Jones - We Belong Together/Living It Up

Rickie Lee Jones is an R & B performer. She has a new album, Balm In Gilead, which is due out on November 3rd - you can sample some of the new music right HERE. Rickie will be celebrating the release with a performance at Carnegie Hall on December 7th.

If you are not familiar with her, check out some of the following songs. These cuts are from her 1981 album, Pirates - they were recorded around the time she was romantically and professionally linked with Tom Waits.

We Belong Together

E6E6E6
101010_gaB0UBXp1

We Belong Together - Rickie Lee Jones

Living It Up

E6E6E6
101010iq5zicMPV7

Living It Up - Rickie Lee Jones

Weasel and the White Boy is from Rickie's selt-titled album, which was released in 1979

E6E6E6
101010ZsnyNRkvGB

Weasel And The White Boys Cool.mp3 -

Former Ghosts - Us and Now

Former Ghosts is a new musical project which features Xiu Xiu leader Jamie Stewart, Freddy Ruppert (This Song Is a Mess but So Am I) and Nika Danilova of Zola Jesus.

Check out the tune and a video from the band over at @ Stereogum

post-9-1256180931_thumb.jpg

Doveman - The Conformist

Thomas Bartlett's new album, The Conformist, is out this week from Brassland Records, Doveman has pulled together an all-star cast of contributors including "the national, nico muhly, sam amidon, norah jones, beth orton, glen hansard, oren bloedow, martha wainwright, dougie bowne, and more."

We previously posted about positive previews at Pop Matters and Stereogum.You can now stream The Conformist in its entirety over at Pitchfork. Enjoy.

The Cat Awoke

Live with The National and Sam Amidon

01 Breathing Out

02 Best Thing

03 Memorize

04 Hurricane

05 Aftermath

06 From Silence

07 Cat Awoke

08 Angel’s Share

09 Burgundy Stain

10 Tigers

11 Castles

post-9-1256181463_thumb.jpg

Maceo Parker - Shake Everything You've Got

Maceo Parker is an American funk and soul jazz saxophonist, best known for his work with James Brown in the 1960s, as well as Parliament-Funkadelic in the 1970s. - Wikipedia

Dzihan & Kamien - Deep Kitsch

dzihan & Kamien are an electronic jazz duo from Austria. This cut is from their 2007 album, Gran Riserva. They have a new album, Music Matters, which you can preview at Myspace - click the preceding link

Gard du Nord - You're My Medicine (Marvin Gaye cover)

The Dutch/Belgian duo Gare du Nord is the brainchild of Ferdy Lancee and Barend Fransen. They make nu-jazz lounge music. You can check out more of their music HERE

Bitter:Sweet - Dirty Laundry (Skeewiff Remix)

Bitter;Sweet is a trip-hop band from LA. Skeewiff is an electronic nu-jazz duo out of the UK. This cut appears on Bitter:Sweet's The Mating Game/Remix album.

Aretha Franklin - Freeway of Love

"Freeway of Love" is a Grammy Award-winning song released as the first single from Aretha Franklin's 1985 album Who's Zoomin' Who?. It peaked at the #3 position of the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and toppied the Hot R&B Singles chart for five weeks in July/Aug. 1985 - Wikipedia

Johnny Taylor - Disco Lady

Johnnie Taylor was an American R & B vocalist. He was one of the star performers on the legendary Stax soul record label. When it folded, he moved to Columbia records, where he had this disco hit in 1976.

David Tuvare - Call Me Baby (If you don't know my name)

David Tavaré is a Europop singer from Spain. This was one of Europe's biggest dance songs of the summer. The video is maybe a bit too glitzy/cheezy B) ... but the song is well produced and catchy.

S.O.S. Band - Just Be Good To Me

The SOS Band is an American musical ensemble, founded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1977. Originally known as Santa Monica, the 'SOS' initialism in the band's name stands for Sounds of Success. - Wikipedia

Richard Pryor used the song as the wraparound tune for his concert film, Here and Now, which I just viewed. You can find the song on the 1983 album, Rise.

Extended Version

Eric Prydz Remix

Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM (Diskjokke Remix)

IRM is the first single from the Beck/Gainsbourg album. Pitchfork did a nice review of their endeavor. Diskjokke is an electronic producer from Norway.

post-9-1256572749_thumb.jpg