What Are You Listening To?

DudeAsInCool

Our buddies at allofmp3 have "Children of the Sun...Revisited" but not the original. It seems there is a Japanese reissue of the original album but it is scarce. I searched around my usual hang-outs but nobody currently has it posted. This is another one of those albums that I thought I had......until I searched for it.

Don't drop any ammo but if you get chance let me know which album you have. If it is "Revisited" I can just hit the Russians for that and save you the trouble. If it is the original, I would let you borrow my Glock next time you are in town if you send me a copy. :)

Our buddies at allofmp3 have "Children of the Sun...Revisited" but not the original. It seems there is a Japanese reissue of the original album but it is scarce. I searched around my usual hang-outs but nobody currently has it posted. This is another one of those albums that I thought I had......until I searched for it.

Don't drop any ammo but if you get chance let me know which album you have. If it is "Revisited" I can just hit the Russians for that and save you the trouble. If it is the original, I would let you borrow my Glock next time you are in town if you send me a copy. :)

i will hunt for the original for you....i think i know where i can get one wrapped in a plain brown paper kangaroo skin...give me a couple of days and i`ll send you a firearms-free copy of the original....those aussies are slow buggers....nice to see you mate.... :)

speaking of billy thorpe..have you heard this one......(Live at Melbourne Town Hall, 1971)

While continuing to bludgeon Melbourne's rock cognoscenti with their power-blues repertoire, a landmark event for the band took place on 13 June 1971. A then four-piece Aztecs (Thorpe, Morgan and Wheeler, together with former 'Mickey Mouse Club' drumming prodigy, Gil "Rathead" Matthews), played at the Melbourne Town Hall.

The evening's performance, including Morgan's commandeering of the huge town hall organ, was captured on the album Live At Melbourne Town Hall. Thorpie remembers:

"... to the capacity crowd of 5,000 and the band, it felt like we were standing on a pair of Boeing 747 engines. It cracked the foundations and broke windows in neighbouring buildings!"

Such was what was to become the trademark of subsequent Aztecs live shows from now on. Or, as This Is Spinal Tap guitar-god Nigel Tufnel would have it: "This goes up to eleven!"

Billy Thorpe himself openly acknowledges that this new 'heavy' version of the Aztecs owes much to 'guitar hero' Lobby Loyde. Lloyde already had a cult following due to his stints in two of the most original Australian bands of the Sixties, The Purple Hearts and The Wild Cherries. While his stint in the new Aztecs was short (only a few months), his musical influence proved crucial in steering Thorpe in a completely new direction, and he strongly encouraged Thorpe to keep playing guitar.

The new Aztecs' blues-based heavy-rock repertoire was dramatically different in style from the original group, and they quickly became famous (or notorious) for the ear-splitting volume at which they played. Thorpe had also drastically changed his appearance -- he grew a beard, often wore his now shouilder-length hair braided in a pigtail, and he had long since traded the tailored suits for jeans and t-shirts. Needless to say this did not endear to people who came to the shows expecting the 'old' Billy Thorpe of the "Poison Ivy" era, and this led to sometimes violent confrontations with disgruntled fans and promoters.

Their breakthrough recording was an ambitious album, The Hoax Is Over, recorded in September 1970 with new drummer Kevin Murphy. The album was an unequivocal signal of the Aztecs' new direction, containing only four tracks, three of which were Thorpe originals. The LP is dominated by two extended tracks: a version of Johnny "Guitar" Watson's "Gangster Of Love", which clocked in at 24:35 and ran the entire length of Side 1 (an unprecedented move in Australian pop music) and Thorpe's own "Mississippi" which ran 19'35". According to Thorpe, the band (which at this time comprising himself, Murphy, pianist Warren Morgan, guitar legend Lobby Loyde and bassist Paul Wheeler), were all high on LSD and jammed continusouly while engineer Ernie Rose just let the tapes roll. The result heralded the fully-fledged arrival of the new Aztecs and live shows at Melbourne venues consolidated the band's reputation and drew enthusiastic responses.

During 1971 they continued to win over Melbourne's audiences with their power-blues repertoire, A landmark event for the band took place on 13 June 1971. Now a four-piece following the departure of Loyde, the Aztecs (Thorpe, Morgan and Wheeler, with nerw drummer Gil "Rathead" Matthews) headlined a major concert at the Melbourne Town Hall before a capacity crowd of 5000. The evening's performance, including Morgan's commandeering of the huge town hall organ, was captured on the album Live At Melbourne Town Hall, and which has since become legendary for the group's deafening performance, which (it was claimed) cracked the windows of neighbouring buildings.

i saw them live at the sunbury festival near melbourne in 1973 mate...incredible stuff...all fueled by acid....and talent of course.... :lol:

post-193-1157876378_thumb.jpg