What Are You Listening To?

DudeAsInCool

"Cowgirl" (Underworld)

True humor. When I was going to college, I was a D.J. at my campus radio station. We ran a low-power carrier-current transmitter, broadcasting on 660 AM, and usually signed off at Midnight. The bad news is that we had a strict "top-30" airplay list that changed weekly and we weren't allowed to stray too far from it. So, I went to the station manager and asked him if I could extend my 10PM-Midnight show to 1:00 AM ... and if, after Midnight, I could play more "progressive" rock that didn't get much airplay. Since our carrier-current license gave us broad leeway in hours, the manager said it would be OK.

Now ... picture this (grin). The college I went to was a private college owned by the United Church of Christ. And one night, I happened to play two songs ... "The Divine Toe, Part I and II" by The Fugs and "Bwana Dik" by the Mothers of Invention. Both are exceptionally raunchy songs, hehe. Anyhoo, the Dean of Students happened to be staying up late that night and tuned into my show. The next day, my Midnight-to-1AM experiment came to an abrupt end. Hehe, no sense of humor.

I've always liked the Starship. Got to see them on the "Red Octopus" tour . It was a long time ago.

I saw them about a year after I got out of the Navy. They were going through some strange personnel changes at the time. From memory, I can remember 4 of them ... Slick, Kantner, Chaquico and Papa John Creach ... though there were 1 or 2 others onstage (my mind is hazy on who). I got a 3rd row seat but, about 10 minutes into the concert, everyone was on their feet and pressing close to the stage. I remember a drum solo interlude where Paul Kantner disappeared for a couple of minutes. He came back onstage with a foot-long joint, took a big hit off the joint and passed it to Papa John. Then Kantner walked up to Grace Slick, put his guitar between her legs and dragged it back across her crotch. Then he stuck out his tongue and ran it all the way up and down his guitar frets ... screamed ... and the band started playing "Ride The Tiger." The audience was rockin' that night, let me tell ya', hehe.

"White Bird" (It's A Beautiful Day)