What Are You Listening To?

DudeAsInCool

Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man

Donovan wrote and recorded much of The Hurdy Gurdy Man in late 1967 not long after recording the songs that would form A Gift from a Flower to a Garden. The rest of The Hurdy Gurdy Man was recorded in April of 1968, after Donovan visited Rishikesh, India to study under Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. John Lennon, Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison, Pattie Boyd, Paul McCartney, Jane Asher, Mia Farrow, Prudence Farrow, and Mike Love were there as well. Donovan has since said in concerts that George Harrison wrote a line for "Hurdy Gurdy Man" when they were in India, but it wasn't recorded for the studio version. On his 1973 live album Live in Japan: Spring Tour 1973 and his 1990 live album Rising, Donovan explains the story and sings the previously omitted line.

Donovan's songwriting for The Hurdy Gurdy Man centered around drones on such songs as "Peregrine", "The River Song" and "Tangier" (the later two being compositions by Donovan's good friend Gypsy Dave AKA Gyp Mills ), and pop music on most of the other tracks. "As I Recall It" continues Donovan's infatuation with jazz. "Jennifer Juniper" and "Hurdy Gurdy Man" were both released as singles well before the album was released.

The recording sessions for The Hurdy Gurdy Man are known to have included future Led Zeppelin members Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. Jimmy Page was in The Yardbirds at the time and was actively looking to rebuild that band. There have been claims that John Bonham was present at the session for "Hurdy Gurdy Man", and that Led Zeppelin grew out of this. The drumming does sound much like John Bonham's bombastic style on both "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and "Hi It's Been a Long Time". However, whether Bonham was actually there is contested as both John Paul Jones and Clem Cattini (who is now credited as the drummer on the song) have stated that Bonham was not on the title track.

In interviews with Keith Altham for the NME (and Hit Parader) and Tony Wilson for Melody Maker [1] in 1968 Donovan explained he wrote "Hurdy Gurdy Man" for his friend Mac MacLeod and wanted Mac's band Hurdy Gurdy to record it. However, Donovan's version was a hit and the band never recorded the song. Donovan has stated in an interview with Little Steven Van Zandt that he had originally desired Jimi Hendrix to play on "Hurdy Gurdy Man," but as he was unavailable, he got Jimmy Page to play. Jimmy Page has often been credited as playing electric guitar on the track but Alan Parker has been named by Page, Jones and Cattini.

Wikipedia

post-9-1173512389_thumb.jpg

still listening to the as yet unreleased Alabama 3 album. yeah, i know, i'm obsessed. :)

must...keep...fingers...off...uploading app. :lol:

still listening to the as yet unreleased Alabama 3 album. yeah, i know, i'm obsessed. :)

must...keep...fingers...off...uploading app. :lol:

Slum has morphed in to this :lol:

The National - About Today Live In Paris

Today you were far away

and I didn't ask you why

What could I say

I was far away

You just walked away

and I just watched you

What could I say

How close am I to losing you

Tonight you just close your eyes

and I just watch you

slip away

Hey, are you awake

Yeah I'm right here

Well can I ask you about today

How close am I to losing

post-9-1173642502_thumb.jpg

Peppermint Rainbow - Will You Be Staying After Sunday 1969

review and track listing

Green Tambourine was a big hit. Who wrote Incense and Peppermints?--Similar stuff, me thinks

AMG credits Incense & Peppermints to Carter/Gilbert so it isn't the same writers.

The track Green Tambourine on the Peppermint Rainbow album has the same producer as the Lemon Pipers on their hit version. Therefore, Peppermint Rainbow's version sounds very similar. I like the title track so I thought I would check out the album.

They sound similar to Spanky & Our Gang.

zakk wylde.....1,000,000 Miles Away.... :)

Sailing across my ocean

Sailing across my sea

I fill it up with hope Lord

I drown in empty misery

Sailin' across my heaven

Sailing across my star

Until I find the voice I've been hearing in my head

Forever couldn't be too far ... yeah

Oh it couldn't be to far

Oh it couldn't be to far

The cold wind blows

Like a leaf on a tree

I can feel myself fallin lord

I need your guiding hand to catch me

When you hear yourself this song

I hope it brings yourself a smile

The times we had we thought would last forever

But forever only lasts a little while

Forever only lasts a little while ... yeah

Loneliness my friend

I'll think about you every day

As I sail into the light, 1,000,000 miles away

post-193-1173769275_thumb.jpg

Tommy James is an underrated band...saw them once at the Straweberry Fields Pop Festival in Toronto - they were pretty good