Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1

KiwiCoromandel

this is Internet Explorer 7 beta 1..which is floating round the net and i`ve just got hold of it (ahem)..going to try it out..it`s got a phishing filter and a nice popup blocker...10 mb download..looks a bit like and feels a lot like firefox..that`s all folks..i`ll check it out now....... :)

edit..very nice tabbed browsing system..very nice indeed... :)

post-104-1122554060.jpg

IE 7 tab system........very smooth..nice...loading fast, surfing fast..looks good at the moment.....i don`t know about any current security issues on this one though.... :) :) :)

post-104-1122554545.jpg

.i don`t know about any current security issues on this one though.... :) :) :)

don't worry, there will be. :)

from a comment on /. and yes, the dude knows it's in beta.

1. Where the fuck is the refresh button? After ten minutes you work out it's the little button next to the right of the URL entry bit.

2. Why is the menu Below the tabs. I find this inconsistent and confusing. Worst of all, there's no way to put it in it's proper position.

3. Have Microsoft dropped it's entire design team, the tabs look simply awful. That little grey bit to the right of the tabs allows you to create a new tab by clicking on it. That's fairly cool, but holy shit it just looks wrong.

4. The home icon on the left hand side of the screen is in that default position, unexpanded, where did my Favourites go or everything else go?

5. If this is it, what took so freaking long? from here

and in other news, yesterday firefox reached its 75,000,000th download :)

and in other news, yesterday firefox reached its 75,000,000th download :)

Doesn't mean 75 million people are using it though, just means it was downloaded that many times.......I myself have downloaded it several times myself.

Here's a bit of info from Download.com.... "Kazaa Media Desktop sets most downloaded software record ... The record for most downloaded applications, as counted by CNET’s industry-leading Download.com" but who uses it? I don't, and won't. I did, but not anymore.

IE 7 Beta: Improved Security, Resembles Firefox

Review: Developers now have their hands on the first IE 7 beta, and at first glance it has better security and some rather familiar Firefox features.

The first beta of Microsoft's new standalone Web browser, Internet Explorer 7, is now in developers' hands.

Microsoft wasn't going to release a new IE browser, apart from the embedded version in Windows Vista, but then increased security worries and the rise in popularity of Mozilla's Firefox browser may have changed the Redmond giant's plans.

This new version of IE only runs on XP SP2. Eventually, there will be a version for Server 2003, but Windows 2000 and 98SE users are out of luck.

There will be no IE 7 for these systems.

Gytis Barzdukas, director of product management in Microsoft's security business technology, hasn't completely ruled out porting IE 7 to other Windows platforms.

In an eWEEK.com interview, Barzdukas said, "When we do all this engineering work, the architecture is changed significantly. In some cases, it's more expedient for customers to just move to a new operating system where the enhancements are easier to deploy."

The new IE boasts several improvements for browser security. The first of these are a variety of defenses against malware (malicious software).

For example, IE 7 now has a single data handler for Web addresses. By "drastically reducing the internal attack surface," Microsoft hopes to make it much harder for crackers to use malformed HTML links to trick browsers into running malware.

In addition, the new IE includes a feature that appends the originating domain name to any script you might run. The browser will also restrict a script's ability to only interact with its own domain's Windows and content.

This feature's intent is to prevent cross-domain scripting.

These are commonly used in phishing attacks—attempts to swipe your user login and password information.

In informal testing, this first beta of IE 7 did do a better job than earlier versions of IE in preventing both malformed HTML and cross-domain scripting.

Some of the new anti-phishing tools may not be to everyone's taste.

The Microsoft Phishing Filter, which users may opt out of, checks all sites you visit against a Microsoft-hosted list of phishing sites.

Also, support for administrators setting group phishing restrictions is not present in this beta.

IE also sports a new look, some of which closely resembles Firefox.

For example, you'll find a search box to the right of the URL address bar. As with Firefox, users can search through one of several popular Web search sites by entering text into this box.

Additionally, IE now supports tabbed browsing—a feature that has been previously available in Mozilla, Opera and Netscape.

This feature worked well during first hours with the browser.

The new IE is also following in the footsteps of the other browsers by including RSS support. The program currently supports the RSS 1.0, 2.0 and Atom 0.3 formats.

When Atom 1.0 is released, Microsoft will also support that format. This feature, however, is still a work in progress. On several occasions, the program crashed while accessing RSS feeds.

While this beta is not feature-complete—really making it more of an alpha release—it did not have any other critical failures on a Gateway 503GR PC with a 3GHz Pentium IV and a gigabyte of RAM running XP Professional SP2.

In many ways, this seems more of a catch-up release to Firefox than an attempt to advance the art of the browser.

It was also somewhat puzzling to see a beta, with final release scheduled for this year, which didn't include both minor and major features.

For example, in this beta the default way to find out if a site has an RSS feed is to press the RSS icon and see if it displays a feed.

In the next beta, the icon is to change its appearance on sites with feeds.

In addition, the Mozilla Foundation will also be releasing its next beta release for Firefox 1.5, code name 'Deer Park,' in August, with the final release scheduled for September.

This new Firefox will incorporate many minor improvements, better performance and more significant advances.

The bigger and better improvements will include an automated update system, support for SVG (scalable vector graphics), better cross-domain script protection, and drag and drop tabbed browser placement.

If Microsoft is to gain back the imitative in the new browser wars, IE 7, as it's laid out now, may not be enough.

Edited by Cerebral_Assassin

i'm sticking w/firefox, i've never had any problems. :)

'Microsoft's new Internet Explorer 7 browser won't pass a stringent standards test that rivals have embraced.

'In its browser blog, Microsoft acknowledged that IE 7 would not pass the web standards project's acid2 test which examines a browser's support for W3C (world wide web consortium) recommendations including CSS1 (Cascading Style Sheets), HTML4 and PNG (Portable Network Graphics)...' from here

disclaimer: pet man is a founding member of the WSP and most lately wrote this upbeat post about the above (if nothing else, he's very diplomatic). :wacko::wub:

forgot this quote by pet man where they mention his name in the C|Net thingy, lol: '"While it doesn't hit everything we might like, and we won't see most of it until Beta 2, it's a pretty impressive list for a release that by all accounts is primarily about security and UI features," Web Standards Project member Chris Kaminski wrote. "Even more impressive than the contents of the list, though, is that it's even available outside the Redmond campus. Having been through this 'work with Microsoft' thing once before in the late '90s, I can assure you this sort of openness is a radical departure from the Microsoft of old and as good a reason as any for optimism that this is just the beginning, and we can expect even more and better in IE 7.5 and beyond." *proud* :lol: