The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd (1973)

DudeAsInCool

The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd (1973)

"I think every album was a step towards Dark Side of the Moon," keyboardist Rick Wright said. "We were learning all the time, the techniques of the recording and our writing was getting better." As a culmination of their inner-space explorations of the early 1970s, the Floyd toured the bulk of Dark Side in Britain for months prior to recording. But in the studio, the band articulated bassist Roger Waters' lyric reveries on the madness of everyday life with melodic precision ("Breathe," "Us and Them") and cinematic lustre (Clare Torry's guest vocal aria "The Great Gig in the Sky"). Dark Side is one of the best-produced rock albums ever, and "Money" may be rock's only Top Twenty hit in 7/8 time.

Total album sales: 6.3 million

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/cover...en.asp?pid=2143

Peak chart position: 1

I used to have Dark Side Of The Moon on a quadrophonic 8 track cassette. My roommates in college, who were major MJ users ( I was the jock-athlete barfly type), used to beg me to take them for a spin at night in my trusty Monte Carlo so they could do some bonging while this one was playing. Four channels of sound and a cloud of smoke......

great album..... it set a lot of standards for things to come but was well ahead of its time in what was achieved technically....

and it's still selling :)

It also can be used as a synch soundtrack for the movie the Wizard of Oz..... surreal stuff and some uncanny co-incidences between lyrics and movie....

It's pretty cool....

Cue up the CD on pause and hit play at the third roar of the MGM lion...

I think there are probably some places selling DVD's with it all done for you .... but it's more fun to do it yourself

Yes, I have yet to add this album to my collection. Definitely some amazing stuff from this band. I joined them late. I picked up The Division Bell and enjoyed it very much. But the classic songs off this album I know well. Will have to make it a point this year to get.

It also can be used as a synch soundtrack for the movie the Wizard of Oz..... surreal stuff and some uncanny co-incidences between lyrics and movie....

That worked for me too.

Of course it took a little chemical help. smokin'

Koop ...aaaah quadraphonic..remember that .

The special vinyl quadraphonic albums and stereo equipment.

I knew a guy that had just gotten a quad system, w/a big amp and 4 big Altec speakers.

The first 2 albums I ever heard that way were...Humble Pie's - Rockin The Filmore...and Dark Side of the Moon.

Sounded unbelievable for its time... then again maybe the mushrooms helped the sound ...as well

• 1 month later...

DSOTM was a landmark in studio engineering (recording engineer was Alan Parson). the stereo imaging and multi layered tracks out did (in my less than humble opinion Sgt. Peppers by the Beatles. I had DSOTM on vinyl...got it as soon as it was released in USA. But it was my 1st trip od LDS...uhhh...LSD while listenting to it that made me realize that Floyd was actually trying to tell me something. what they were trying to tell me, I haven't figured out yet! LOL

lol, well my experience was in a used 69 vw, craig powerplay with tweeters in the back, like a cloud of smoke driving around and the sound was similar to standing in the middle of 3 rivers stadium ( when it still stood) what a trip! the simpler days, pink floyd, mott the hoople, led zep, and of course the doobies and bob seger for the mellow days, lol I lived right in the middle between cleveland and pittsburgh, great concerts all the time, I think I may have blown a speaker or 2, loved that bass, funny how we complain about teenagers cars booming past the house and making the windows shake, lol

• 3 years later...

I've owned this on 8 track, album, cassette and now on cd.

When I was a younger man, in the army, I was rooming on the top floor of a barracks in Germany. They had these huge windows that swung open, with a view that went for miles over open field. My room mate and I enjoyed a charitable hunk of hashish, and sat at that window, with DSOTM playing at 'swallow you up into the music' volume, watching a thunder and lightning storm cover the entire sky, and slowly move towards us as we swigged a 5th of Jack Daniels.

Wow. Whatta a high that was.

Those days are long behind me now, but I still have that memory.