The Wiggles - Aussie's Band For Kids Rakes It In

When it comes to making music that appeals to parents and preschoolers, Australia's nappy pop phenomenon the Wiggles know what it takes.

Go to any Wiggles concert, says Christine Falconer, from ABC Shops, and look around. "Most of the mothers know the words of the songs."

For 14 years, the skivvy-sporting foursome - an offshoot of the 1980s pop band the Cockroaches - have monopolised stereos and RSL stages, selling almost 2 million CDs and 4 million DVDs in Australia with the aid of a rose-eating dinosaur and a friendly pirate. They have sold 5 million CDs and 17 million DVDs overseas so it is no wonder that this year, with an annual income of $45 million, pushed Nicole Kidman out of the top spot of BRW's list of Australia's richest entertainers.

In close pursuit - behind Russell Crowe and AC/DC - the Wiggles counterpart Hi-5 earned $15 million, and took the number six ranking.

Obviously the nappy dollar has never been stronger, but there are still alternatives to Hot Potato and other anthems. Falconer says Play School CDs and old-fashioned nursery rhymes remain popular with children and their parents.

The act Aunty Wendy's Mob give children's music an indigenous revamp, writing songs palatable to children and their parents. "I think the reason my album is successful with little kids is because it's different," says Wendy. "I write songs with a multigenerational appeal. I think the authenticity of the work appeals to adults and children."

Mic Conway of the National Junk Band has a different view on music that bridges the toddler-parent divide: "I think all pop music is in fact nursery rhymes for adults. I think that's the secret with the Wiggles: they write boppy songs."

But children are starting to write music for themselves. Fremantle's the Flairz are a band of hard-rocking prepubescents with an average age of 11. Raised in Australia's Wiggle world, they peddle songs like Rock And Roll Ain't Evil.

source:AP

post-23-1121035762.gif

and yet another reason i'm so pleased i'm not a mom :)

DIPSY? lol, it's a wonder that the crazed right isn't screaming that s/he's a symbol of insanity or drug use or whatever.

Mic Conway of the National Junk Band has a different view on music that bridges the toddler-parent divide: "I think all pop music is in fact nursery rhymes for adults.

haha, pardon me for this bit of my mis-spent youth: Yusef used to deal, so we'd all go to his house singing 'bah bah Yusef, have you any skag? yeah man, yeah man, do you wanna bag?' and on and on, he hated it :lol:

national junk band? :lol:

Teletubbies I can tolerate......The Wiggles are lame..........but these are the ones that get me on edge...................BOOBAH's

boobah.jpg

oh damn those fucking things give me nightmares. i dare anyone to watch a whole episode of that tellitubbies on LSD show.

The Wiggles are coming to the Toyota Center in a few weeks!!! Can't wait.. :rolleyes: . I worked it when they came last year too!! What fun!! :wacko:

Give me the Teletubbies anyday!!