splitting dsl

rainbowdemon

No, you need a router or hub, else the information packets will not know which way to travel around your network.

I'm not to sure on your setup atm. I'm guessing a modem connected between your PC and phone socket, with a second computer with no access?

The easiest way would be to connect your two PCs with a crossover cable, then use the one connected to the modem to serve Internet to the other. This is easy to do with windows. Both PCs will need a network card and the serving computer will always need to be on for the second PC to have access.

You can't later expand a network like this - it is only good for 2 PCs - unless you buy a hub or switch to connect more PCs to the server.

A crossover cable is used to connect 2 PCs directly. This is opposed to a patch cable, which links a PC to a router/switch/hub.

If you do not want one PC to be on all the time, then you will need a router.

I'm guessing a modem connected between your PC and phone socket, with a second computer with no access?

That's it. What I was thinking was to split the ethernet wire after the modem and run that to the second pc. The modem is on all the time anyway. But that's not good?

That's it. What I was thinking was to split the ethernet wire after the modem and run that to the second pc. The modem is on all the time anyway. But that's not good?

Won't work. Get a router. :)

Hard wired routers have gotten cheap. :lol:

I bought mine several years ago and I paid $175. :o

I don't know a whole lot about the second comp. It's an older one. A Dell OptiPlex GX1

Windows 98

2 gig hd.

I can't remember proc speed right of the top of my head, but it's on the slow side. It was on cable at it's previous home.

You can buy long cables or have one custom made. You may also want to consider getting a wireless router. If you do then you will be able to hard wire the machine in the room with the router and add a wireless card to the machine in the other room. I will cost more money but you won't have to run a cable to the other room. I have a wireless router/modem all built together. All my machines are hard wired. I still live in the past and I prefer the cable thingy. :lol:

I prefer the cable thingy too. I don't want to create any wireless hot spots.

you gotta be smarter than what you are operating. :lol:

That's why I don't mess with mine. :bigsmile:

My son takes care of my digital disasters. :P

Sorry - didn't mean to ignore this.

That would semi-work, but only one computer could use the modem at a time - the other would be cut off. Unless the one which isnt using the modem connects through the one that is. But that would mean you would have to keep changing you connection settings.

Both computer DO need a network card. It is important that you find out. Wired cards can be picked up for as little as £10 ($6) here.

As for wireless hotspots - you know they dont burn, right??

Is this it? The network card?

Network Adapter Properties

Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Interface Type Ethernet

Hardware Address

Connection Name Local Area Connection

Connection Speed 100 Mbps

MTU 1500 bytes

DHCP Lease Obtained 7/10/2005 6:16:49 PM

DHCP Lease Expires 7/10/2005 6:26:49 PM

Bytes Received 693799539 (661.7 MB) - 33.7 KB/s

Bytes Sent 522360333 (498.2 MB) - 24.6 KB/s

Network Adapter Addresses

IP / Subnet Mask

Gateway

DHCP

DNS

DNS

Network Adapter Manufacturer

Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc.

Product Information http://www.via.com.tw/en/Networking/networking.jsp

Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=71#lan

Looks good, so you can cross that off your to-buy list.

That's the comp I've been using. The second one has an ethernet jack. I would asume it has a network card too. It was on cable at it's previous home. Standard modem hook-up.

Looks good.

You will also need two ethanet (RJ45) patch cables, long enough to run from the router to each computer.

Most people will have the router by their phone socket. If it is more efficient to have the router elsewhere, then you will also need a phone wire long enough to run from the socket to the router.

If you want the router by the phone socket, then the wire which will come with the router (I hope) will be fine, or take the wire from your current modem.