Digital Cameras - What Do You Recommend

DudeAsInCool

I'm in the market for a digital camera and have narrowed my choice to either a Nikon or a Cannon and am leaning towards the Nikon

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70versusRebelXT.shtml

What do you use? Or recommend?

both look good but I like Canon better. I don' t know why

Normallly I wiould go with the Cannon (my slr is a Cannon) - but I think in this matchup the Nikon lenses are bettter and the camera has more features

Let me see if I can get a mate of mine to post up here. He's a genius photographer and has just bought a beast of a new camera. Watch this space amigo.

Thanx!

Hi

I am his mate, though not in the sexual meaning.... I mean we aren't married or anything.... anyway about this camera. I have the Canon 300D Digital Rebel and it is everything I ever wanted from a camera. I believe you are looking at the Canon 350D also known as the Digital Rebel XT.

Now, as much as I love my Canon to bits, another friend of mine has the D70 and he loves that to bits. This leads me to think that though we could talk tech it is actually a personal choice.

I think it is the photographer that makes the photograph and not the camera. Give a real pro a point and click and he/she will give you back a masterpiece. That's my belief and I am sticking to it.

What I will say to you on a personal level about the canon is that I understand there is a split of users who think the 300d (that I have) feels better to hold than the 350d. This is about the physical size and weight and is a personal preference.

For me the Canon takes great images of what I see.

Oh' and as the Canon (and the Nikon) have preset modes, along with full manual control, you won't need a degree to use either :D . If you want a camera to grow into you are already looking at the right machine. The preset modes will let you point and click and then go manual when you are ready.

Don't know if this helps, but it is the advice I would give anyone who asks.

Regards

Ade

Edited by AdePCox

Hi

I am his mate, though not in the sexual meaning.... I mean we aren't married or anything.... anyway about this camera.

Better hide the pictures, Ade :lol:

(j/k)...

So basically both cameras are pretty good - i may have to flip a coin :)

And Kooper, as of this weekend, I'm upgrading the Mattell to the real McCoy - another Mac ;)

I spoke to the security guard,

Both are very good entry level SLRs. If you are bent on buying an SLR, then she would recommend the Cannon. It is better value for money and cheaper lenses and accessories.

Some people want a Nikon because of the brand name, which is fine. However, you will have to pay for that brand name if you want it or not. It isn't much extra, but does make a difference.

If you are looking at SLR, that means that you are thinking of entry level professional photography. Lenses will therefore by vital and expensive. Dont forget to budget for them as they often cost more than the camera itself.

Next point is do you have a camera already. Most high end cameras use Compact Flash, but the Npkia uses the cheaper SD. If you upgrade in the future, you probably wont be able to take any extra memory with you. However, if you already have SD from a cheaper camera, it will be an area you would save money by buying Nikon.

Finally, the operation of the Cannon is easier. All functions are controlled with knobs and switches, rather than the endless electronic menus the Nikon uses. It is smaller too.

Therefore, go with Cannon unless you really want the Nikon brand name or SD cards.

The real question though - do you really want an SLR? Unless you are really, really serious about your photography it is a hell of a lot to pay to be a snob. You can get more more feature rich cameras with much cheaper accessories by dropping SLR.

As the guard concluded, you wouldnt buy a car without test driving it. Get yourself into a camera shop, tell them what you want and play around with the offerings.

As the guard concluded, you wouldnt buy a car without test driving it. Get yourself into a camera shop, tell them what you want and play around with the offerings.

thank you sir, still researching. im told that the nikon lens is better. i can actually get it for a hundred dollars cheaper. my old cannon lenses might be compatable--so im gonna check whether they will fit before i buy im not new to photography--i have a masters in motion picture photography thanx again for checking it out for me i will let you know what i come up with

• 2 weeks later...

i've been waiting on this topic cause i know fuckall about cameras but Chris is getting a new one, he thought a Fuji but not until this one feature was perfected (he figured around xmastime). anyway, he sent me this and said 'I gotta wait for a review or three to see if it's as good as I hoped.'

the NY Times has a pretty good article today on what to look for in a digital camera, and suggests various models in different price ranges..

http://nytimes.com/2005/08/04/technology/c...s/04basics.html