Pink Floyd Reunites for Africa Aid Festival

pinkfloyd.jpgPink Floyd to reform for London Live 8 concert

LONDON (Reuters) - Four members of seminal British rock band Pink Floyd will play together for the first time in 24 years at London's Live 8 charity concert for Africa on July 2, publicists for the event said on Sunday.

Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason and keyboard player Richard Wright will be on stage with bassist Roger Waters for their first public performance since they played at London's Earls Court in 1981.

For the complete story click here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050612/en_nm/...re_pinkfloyd_dc

David Gilmour made the following statement:

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world. It's crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations. Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile."

It's crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations.

Beyond the Bush Administration...this is a far more generous country than people give us credit for. It's great they are reforming for the concert but how much of has Pink Floyd donated in terms of a percentage of their wealth to good causes?

Beyond the Bush Administration...this is a far more generous country than people give us credit for.

a few months back i read an article w/stats showing the US donates hardly enough money to match its GNP, as other poorer nations do (i think amerika was no. 21 or something)

a few months back i read an article w/stats showing the US donates hardly enough money to match its GNP, as other poorer nations do (i think amerika was no. 21 or something)

The statistics are probably true, but the Americans I hang around are very generous with both their time and their money - they are also very critical of our stingy governments policies

Ahem,pink floyd,pardon...PINK FLOYD!!!! is reuniting and you guys are talking about who donates what?Percentages and statistics and GNP's?

Jeez,no wonder I haven't been around in awhile

Music ppl,It's all about the music ;)

I guess you need to take that up with David Gilmour, spraymonkee....he's reuniting the band to make money for donations and he's the one who issued the statement talking about percentages....and guess what? He's one of the music guys.

Thanks for stopping in....have you been away? Guess we didn't notice....

Ahem,pink floyd,pardon...PINK FLOYD!!!! is reuniting and you guys are talking about who donates what?

you need to talk to someone who really gives a shit, y'know?

i don`t think that david gilmour is that talented....i saw him live..one of the most disappointing live shows i have ever seen....a weak voice and 3 blind mice riffs on the geetar....he couldn`t wait to get off the stage and many there couldn`t wait to see him go....roger waters was the driving and creative force in floyd..and this became very apparent when mad syd barrett flipped out on too much acid.....i just watched roger waters dvd " in the flesh "...brilliant...that tells the story about who was really running the show in pink floyd.... :)

post-92-1118958800.jpg

Floyd regroup for aid.......

Four members of seminal British rock band Pink Floyd will play together for the first time in 24 years at London's Live 8 charity concert for Africa on July 2, publicists for the event said on Sunday.

Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason and keyboard player Richard Wright will be on stage with bassist Roger Waters for their first public performance since they played at London's Earls Court in 1981.

The rock legends will join a star-studded line-up including Coldplay, Elton John and Paul McCartney at the Live 8 concert in Hyde Park, organised by activist rocker Bob Geldof to pressure rich nations to ease African poverty.

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world," said Gilmour.

"Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if reforming for this concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile."

The band released their first album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn in 1967 and broke records with 1973's The Dark Side Of The Moon, which remained in the American album charts for more than a decade.

AdvertisementAdvertisement

In the 1980s, relations between Waters and the rest of the group soured, with Waters suing over the rights to the Pink Floyd name.

Gilmore, Mason and Wright continued to record and tour as Pink Floyd, releasing their last studio album The Division Bell in 1994.

source:Reuters

post-92-1118959002.gif

I agree with kiwibank. David Gilmour, although a talented guitarist, lacks the writing ability that made me like Pink Floyd's music. However, in response to some of the comments made in this thread, I feel that he deserves some recognition for his efforts to aid worthy causes. I should imagine that proportionately, the donations he has made are every bit as generous as the US gov't if not more so. In the attached clipping he gave the funds from a property sale ... all £3.6 million to charity. With that.. he can hardly be accused of not practising what he preaches.

Spraymonkey... it's nice to see someone posting here who is more interested in music than politics. Although the topic of this thread combines the two to warrent political comment, I'm pretty much sick of coming here and seeing an American political slant pasted on just about everything. It's spoilt the ambiance of this forum (for me) completely and only further reflects the insular attitude that makes the rest of the world so totally frustrated with the American outlook.

I am happy that the members of Pink Floyd have put their differences into perspective and realised that by doing so they can give something to people who desperately need help. If only governments would practice the same method of foreign policy, we would have a much more peaceful world.

post-92-1119020057.jpg

In the attached clipping he gave the funds from a property sale ... all £3.6 million to charity. With that.. he can hardly be accused of not practising what he preaches.

I guess that answers my question :lol:

Spraymonkey... it's nice to see someone posting here who is more interested in music than politics. Although the topic of this thread combines the two to warrent political comment, I'm pretty much sick of coming here and seeing an American political slant pasted on just about everything. It's spoilt the ambiance of this forum (for me) completely and only further reflects the insular attitude that makes the rest of the world so totally frustrated with the American outlook.

...interesting comments umma..... :)

...interesting comments umma..... :)

We dont censor at Beatking, so if people are posting more news stuff than music, then thats what you get. Any suggestion of any American bias, when the mods and admins come from all around the world, is ludicrous. I certainly would encourage more music posting--if that happened the political threads would not be as omnipresent.

I'm pretty much sick of coming here and seeing an American political slant pasted on just about everything. It's spoilt the ambiance of this forum (for me) completely and only further reflects the insular attitude that makes the rest of the world so totally frustrated with the American outlook.

Umma, nobody is stopping you from posting up more music stuff or news from your country and ignoring the rest. AFAIC, what's happening politically in the states is totally outrageous and unfortunately, a lot of this shit touches other parts of the world (how i wish it weren't so)

Umma, nobody is stopping you from posting up more music stuff or news from your country and ignoring the rest. AFAIC, what's happening politically in the states is totally outrageous and unfortunately, a lot of this shit touches other parts of the world (how i wish it weren't so)

Amen.

The point is well taken that this is an entertainment and music site and that should be its focus. But, god knows, I've posted 1000s of music items in every music forum there is - and so have lots of others - and often those posts sit there waiting comments. It's pretty boring sometimes having a conversation about Coldplay or Mylo or some new rap or rock band or world music out of Africa if no one responds. I literally have the radio on all day searching and listening for new bands, as well as cruising God knows how many music websites for news, music links, etc - so if that is not loving music, then I dont what is.

So, if you want more of a music site, then help make it one and take the Pepsi challenge

:scratchin:

As to the politics, we live in a volatile time, and the arts are affected by the political machinations of the day. My favorite radio station may lose half its funding due the right wing, so therefore, we have to speak up in forums like this, because the news media isnt doing its job.

I literally have the radio on all day searching and listening for new bands, as well as cruising God knows how many music websites for news, music links, etc - so if that is not loving music, then I dont what is.

somehow i can see you (SG ESP), feverishly trawling the internets, listening to the radio and watching TV (all 3 simultaneously), all the while your hand is itching to copy 'n' paste 'n' hit ENTER. :lol:

while your other hand is feverishly searching for...something

oh wait--i said the quiet part out loud again. :lol:

somehow i can see you (SG ESP), feverishly trawling the internets, listening to the radio and watching TV (all 3 simultaneously), all the while your hand is itching to copy 'n' paste 'n' hit ENTER. :lol:

while your other hand is feverishly searching for...something

oh wait--i said the quiet part out loud again. :lol:

True and no comment :lol:

didja hit gold yet? :)

(now i need to get that picture outta mah head ASAP) :lol:

somehow i can see you (SG ESP), feverishly trawling the internets, listening to the radio and watching TV (all 3 simultaneously), all the while your hand is itching to copy 'n' paste 'n' hit ENTER.

... :) :)

post-92-1119097308.gif