The Big Road Trip

DudeAsInCool

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live just outside of pittsburgh and it is a great city, did you get to check out the 2 stadiums? they are really nice, a must see when in the burgh.

Passed on at night--but wasnt there long enuff to check out all the sites

Too bad you drove around up north. You could have passed throught the south and we would have put you out of your misery. :lol:

If I buy some antiques on ebay could I impose upon you to deliver them? :)

If I buy some antiques on ebay could I impose upon you to deliver them? :)

Depends - I might keep them

(On to Chicago tomorrow )

If you guys got to meet in person, that would be very cool!!

yeah, Dude. *ahem* :lol:

Too bad you drove around up north.  You could have passed throught the south and we would have put you out of your misery. :lol:

:lol:

As you can see, I got waylaid in Pittsburg. Ok, on to Chicago, which is about a 500 mile trip. After having that $1.25 meatball sandwich, we hit the road. The Ohio Turnpike carries parts of Interstate 76, Interstate 80, and Interstate 90 across Northern Ohio, and serves many of the cities in that part of the state, including Toledo and Cleveland. The road looked something like this - mostly highway through farms on both sides.

post-59-1117518696.jpg

I will have some better pics, but these will have to suffice for now. Here we are approaching Toledo...

post-59-1117518960.jpg

And somewhere near Cleveland (I think), we saw the sign below. Lucily my nephew brought along some terrific electronica - at this point we were playing a mix of electronica and Indian music...

post-59-1117519132.jpg

The Indiana Toll Road and the Chicago Skyway7 are the westernmost extensions of the "Eastern Turnpike Complex. What I mostly remember is that there were toll booths every 30 miles or so :reallymad: But you really have little choice if you want to get somewhere fast. That coupled with the fact that our UHaul truck was getting about 8 miles to the gallon - it took about 90 bucks to fill it up, and the pumps, for some weird reason only let you put in $75 at a time. Now keep in mind we are gonna travel the whole way across the country paying tolls and chewing up gas... :reallymad:

post-59-1117519648.jpg

Should have detoured through Canuckland.

If only :lol:

We arrived near Chicago around 9 o'clock. But the road we were on was being totally renovated, so we crept along for what seemed like an endless amount of time. To make things worse, there was an accident on the other side. Get this - we went about 10 miles, and all you could see was truck after truck after truck after truck - there must have been a hell of a shindig going on in Chicago with all that stuff :lol: Actually, about 4 major highways conjunct just south of Chicago...

post-59-1117520538.jpg

We finally arrived in Chicago around 10:30 and met a bud at his roller rink. He then took us in his Hummer (which drove like a sports car) out for a late dinner...

post-59-1117521230.jpg

He then gave us a midnight tour of his home (a 14,000 ft pad - a bachelor's paradise set in the woods) and then put us up for the night at a brand spanking new Holiday Inn, which is primarily used for conventions...

post-59-1117521316.jpg

In the morning we went to a public racquet club and watched a woman's tournament and met my bud's mom. Then our host to us to the Olympia Fields Country Club, which is best know for where Al Capone hung out with his cronies - not sure if it was where he cracked heads with his golf club, or not, but I wasnt going to ask to see the blood. Olympia Fields was also the host for one of last year's PGA tournaments - I think Tiger Woods won (maybe)

post-59-1117522023.jpg

The golf course and club house was built back in the early twenties. Capone, Frank Nitti and his cronies had homes built around the course. Early pics showed nothing but endless farm land. Other than the golf course, no farm land exists today.

Anyway, baseball caps were not allowed in the dining room. We were treated to roast lamb, which was cut to please, with mint jelly. Yummm--I like how the other half live! This was probably the epicurean highlight of the trip. Yes, we were living large...but we were soon gonna be back to roadkill and Big Macs... :(

great pics, Dude, thank you. i'm amazed that you're posting up new threads /and/ driving all the fuck over (and making sense). *admiring the tenacity* :wub:

we were soon gonna be back to roadkill and Big Macs...    :(

is 'roadkill' like a metaphor there? or a codeword for truckstop crack whores?

I think he's still in his living room, whirly-birding on LSD and posting whatever pics he finds on the internets...

:lol::lol::lol:

I think he's still in his living room, whirly-birding on LSD and posting whatever pics he finds on the internets...

Hey, dont piss on my trade secrets :reallymad:

:lol: