US box office suffers season-opening slide

KiwiCoromandel

The lucrative northern summer movie season has suffered its worst start in years, as the costly Crusades epic "Kingdom of Heaven" crawled into the No. 1 slot at the North American weekend box office with meagre ticket sales of just US$20 million.

read on.......

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1...jectID=10124613

post-123-1115634946.gif

This has to be the crappiest movie season in many years--for months we haven't gone because there simply isn't anything worth going to see. Saturday we just barely chose "Hitchhikers Guide" over another yet Saturday night of going out for cappucino at the Coffee Exchange...and if rain hadn't cancelled Waterfire we would have have almost certainly preferred to watch fires artfully set amidst the Providence River to the Guide, which was in my estimation another Hollywood mangling of something that was pretty cool.

Star Wars III better be as good as the hype, or it will be a cold day in hell before i waste another $30 to go to the movies...

Star Wars III better be as good as the hype, or it will be a cold day in hell before i waste another $30 to go to the movies...

WTF? 30$ for how many people?

it cost me 26 bucks for my 7 year old and myself to go to see robot at a shitty old kids matinee at what can only be described as a fleapit in a tiny country town during the school holidays..that`s not to mention the 3 bucks for an ice cream and 2 bucks for a tiny packet of popcorn...31 bucks in total..i nearly passed out..when i complained to my missus and my eldest daughter they looked at me funny and told me that i should go out more..... :blink:

wha? go....OUT...more? fuck that--i'd just as soon wait for whatever to be released on DVD and then rent/buy the damn thing.

• 2 weeks later...

With Popcorn, DVD's and TiVo, Moviegoers Are Staying Home

Last year Americans spent an average of 78 hours watching videos and DVD's, a 53 percent increase since 2000, according to a study by the Motion Picture Association of America, the film industry's trade group. DVD sales and rentals soared 676.5 percent during the same period, and 60 percent of all homes with a television set now also have a DVD player. DVD sales and rentals alone were about $21 billion, according to the Digital Entertainment Group.

Read more here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/27/business...?pagewanted=all

I once worked in a movie theater... not even a first run theater... it was one of those dollar theaters, where it was $2/show except on Tuesdays, when it was $1. All day. People bitched and whined about that. Then they bitched and whined more when the concession prices raped them. They wanted their stupid dollars back when they didn't like the movie. They wanted their money back for their popcorn after they ate most of it. Two dollars will get you... maybe... a gallon of gas... people have such distorted perspectives on cheap shit.......................... btw, I hate the people that bitch and whine about gas prices too. I hate the people who use their 3 cents off a gallon coupons for their 2 gallons of gas. Good job, you saved 6 cents. Brilliant people......

This comes from me, the angry girl who hates customer service:

Shut the fuck up, or don't go to a movie. You know what you're getting yourself into when you go. Do you really need to be shoving insanely expensive candy in your mouth during the movie? Nooooo. Smuggle in some food of your own. Think about this: the 30 pound bag of popcorn seeds cost the theater about $8 or something like that, think about how long that bag lasts, and how many tubs/bags of popcorn are sold at $5 apiece. That and the soda are the biggest rip-offs. The bottled water that costs $3+.... really costs about 90 cents for the company.

............. now back on topic..........