SchoolBand Unbanned From Performing 'Louie, Louie'

marchingband.jpgMichigan School Board Bans Band From Performing 'Louie Louie' Due to Lyrics

BENTON HARBOR, Mich. May 5, 2005 — A pop culture controversy that has simmered for decades came to a head when a middle school marching band was told not to perform "Louie Louie."

Read More...

All you ever wanted to know about Louie Louie...

Frank Zappa On the Controversy...

I've heard this........this..........song occasionally, but never paid any attention to it really.

Thanks to the links provided, I read a bunch of "versions" of the lyrics.

All in all, I could give two shits what the lyrics are, because the manner in which the lyrics are sung make it clear that the reason this song is so well liked is due to melody.

The F.B.I wasted their time on a shitty song with unintelligeable lyrics? For what reason? What? Did they think the lyrics said "louie louie arghahghgha support communism"? Or "ddshfjbsdfds oohhh dh fhdefdsdhs fs worship the devil"?

Waste of money.

Edited by Ken

the FBI spent two years investigating the lyrics before declaring they not only were not obscene but also were "unintelligible at any speed."

amerikan taxpayers spent shitloads on this. :mad:

Not sure what the taxpayer thingy means...but these santimonious people have to get a life. If there is anything salacious going on, it's all in their dirty minds...not the music

If there is anything salacious going on, it's all in their dirty minds...not the music

Not really.

I've seen a bunch of "salacious" material in lots of music.

It's all about freedom of speech, expression, and interpretation.

It's a waste of time because the FBI shouldn't be policing content that people are free to make, view, and hear.

There is absolutely no reason for the FBI to have ever investigated a song.

Not sure what the taxpayer thingy means..

who d'ya think paid for those two years of crucial lyrics investigatons?

who d'ya think paid for those two years of crucial lyrics investigatons?

JEdgar Hoover passed the hat (Gotcha!) :lol:

*sigh*

we'll talk about this shit in person where i'll beat the right answer outta you (if i remember). :lol: *whip*

:lol: you do, do you?

then maybe you'd prefer a stiletto heel in your eye... :P

:lol: you do, do you?  then maybe you'd prefer a stiletto heel in your eye...  :P

That's not exactly what I had in mind :lol:

Nice links from the Smoking Gun, M77

Benton Harbor lifts ban on band performing 'Louie Louie'

Update BENTON HARBOR (AP) - A Benton Harbor middle school marching band has gotten permission to perform "Louie Louie" in a parade this weekend. Superintendent Paula Dawning had sent a letter to parents saying the song's allegedly raunchy lyrics makes it inappropriate.

Dawning changed her decision after hearing from parents who supported their children playing the song.

Richard Berry wrote "Louie Louie" in 1956. It's one of the most recorded songs in history. The best-known, most version was a hit in 1963 for the Kingsmen. The FBI spent two years investigating the lyrics before saying it couldn't understand them.

http://wwmt.com/engine.pl?station=wwmt&id=...kout_local.html

Dawning changed her decision after hearing from parents who supported their children playing the song.

give this woman an award for normalcy, she's obviously living in the pre-bushCo world

I was a senior in high school and an avid record buyer when Louie Louie came out. The "dirty lyrics" naturally fell into my hands. It was wierd. Depending on what set of lyrics you had in mind, that is what you heard when you listened to it. I do not think there has been another recording like it. Maybe a couple of lines can be heard differently in a few songs but not the entire song. It did not matter much because The Beatles were coming, and they blew away The Kingsmen and everybody else. The Beatles> http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=61

Edited by Jim Colyer